Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2012: Denver Offense Strategy

I've seen a few comments from various web sites that the Broncos will be more of a passing team in 2012 than 2011. Duh...

Some have gone further to say that we'll be so pass happy that the need for another RB to compliment McGahee is no longer a priority.

It gone me thinking, with Manning on board and the weapons being brought in, there's a clear emphasis on improving the passing game.

However, with Manning's age, does the old agage still play, a QB's best friend is a strong running game? Will that help take the pressure off him and risk of injury?

Will the Broncos run more than Manning's Colts? Will they run less?

What do you guys think - and how does this impact our draft?
    Hate List for 2016-2017 Season: 1. Oakland, 2. New England, 3. Kansas City, 4. Pittsburgh and 5. Houston (yes, Houston....)

I guarantee you Elway told manning that the way he won late in his career was a strong running game. We will be very balanced offense. 25-30 passes a game and 20-25rushes a game.

Manning will run as much as possible. He likes for the team to be able to run efficiently, but if he doesn't work well in the beginning he'll stick with it for a little bit more but eventually go to passing if the team is losing. I remember a game against the chargers in 2010, the colts ran it for 16 times for 21 yards. The chargers were playing pass every down too, so Peyton kept trying to get the running game going, but once they were down late in the third quarter, he started throwing a lot more passes.

I think it'll be up to Manning to make the call on the line of scrimmage.

I do think we will run more than the Colts though
    Red 98

The early bird may get the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese

i think we will run much more and alot better than the colts have. i dont think fox moves entirely away from his philosphy. i think the pass-run ratio will be similar to when orton was in the lineup earlier this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Atwnbroncfan View Post
    I guarantee you Elway told manning that the way he won late in his career was a strong running game. We will be very balanced offense. 25-30 passes a game and 20-25rushes a game.
    Elway has said this directly, that that's how you win Super Bowls, and he's absolutely correct. Without a balanced attack, the defense can focus in on one portion of your game and stuff it.

Quote Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk View Post
    Elway has said this directly, that that's how you win Super Bowls, and he's absolutely correct. Without a balanced attack, the defense can focus in on one portion of your game and stuff it.
    He's also said that to win a SB, you need to be absolutely dominant on one side of the ball and very good on the other. I think he's aiming for that as well here, with being dominant on the offensive side of the ball and being very good on defense as well.
    You Tell 'em Justice is coming. You tell 'em I'M coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Pruke View Post
    I've seen a few comments from various web sites that the Broncos will be more of a passing team in 2012 than 2011. Duh...

Some have gone further to say that we'll be so pass happy that the need for another RB to compliment McGahee is no longer a priority.

It gone me thinking, with Manning on board and the weapons being brought in, there's a clear emphasis on improving the passing game.

However, with Manning's age, does the old agage still play, a QB's best friend is a strong running game? Will that help take the pressure off him and risk of injury?

Will the Broncos run more than Manning's Colts? Will they run less?

What do you guys think - and how does this impact our draft?
    I have to disagree with this..Unless Knowshon comes back 150% better than he has ever been, we need a change of pace back that can catch out of the backfield.

Manning has always had a good backfield he went from Faulk to Edge to Rhodes (outlier) to Addai and Brown. Granted Addai and Brown didnt pan out the way the Colts wouldve liked but they were both drafted in the 1st round. We will add a back or two via draft or free agency when its all said and done
    @MisterBerman

Go Broncos

I'd love to continue running the ball but to instill the hurry up on every single offensive possession

Quote Originally Posted by #24 Next Champ View Post
    I'd love to continue running the ball but to instill the hurry up on every single offensive possession
    PM doesn't really run a hurry up as much as no-huddle because he uses most of the playclock. I expect to see him call all the plays that way.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by Atwnbroncfan View Post
    Sincerely hope the O runs more than 55 ppg.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

The Colts had a 1,000 rusher in 9 of Manning's 14 seasons there, and in one season, James had 989. A couple of years they had 2 backs with 500+ each. Manning knows how important the running game is, he will utilize it effectively.

Everytime I say in a thread we are gonna have run first type offense that Elway won two Super Bowls with people jump all over me.

I think we are getting the weapons to take advantage of teams should they stack 8 guys at the LoS but this will very much be the same kind of offense in play selection and early aggression that Elway played on his final four years IMO

Adding this, IMO the reason Peyton only has one ring is because he never had a offense capable of ball control
    Last edited by Hadez; 03-27-2012 at 03:01 PM.

I think we'll have quite a decent run game actually, our OL is clearly good at run blocking and if we add anybody at RB it makes a lot of sense. Remember, Elway doesn't have his rings without TD. Fox obviously knows the value of a good run game and Manning does too. We could do a lot worse. Worst case scenario is that when run fails there's a HOF QB to do the work anyways, and if it does work the offence is nigh on unstoppable.
    Manning Fatigue (noun): The act of being sick as hell of watching a HOF qb take half of forever to decide what to do and just wishing he'd make up his mind.

Quote Originally Posted by tat2matt View Post
    The Colts had a 1,000 rusher in 9 of Manning's 14 seasons there, and in one season, James had 989. A couple of years they had 2 backs with 500+ each. Manning knows how important the running game is, he will utilize it effectively.
    That's a great point. When Manning and the Colts were at their best, they had Harrison and/or Wayne + James + Manning.

More recently, they have simply lacked and impact running game. Perhaps it was the line, the philosophy, the RB abilities, but I almost forgot that Edge was a huge part of their offensive prowess.
    Hate List for 2016-2017 Season: 1. Oakland, 2. New England, 3. Kansas City, 4. Pittsburgh and 5. Houston (yes, Houston....)