Thread: Earl scruggs

Earl scruggs

For anyone out there thats into Bluegrass or folk music, Earl Scruggs passed away today at the age of 88..I copyed my style of Banjo picking after him, when I was 12. I got my first LP called foggy moutain banjo and learned to play from that record. Playing part of a tune, then moving the record backwards to learn each lick...He was the man who wrote Foggy Mt Breakdown for the movie bonnie and clyde.. He will be missed!!

http://www.newschannel5.com/story/17...y-steve-martin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJOIq...layer_embedded

Also sad today for me, Doug Dillard from the Dillards ( andy griffith show the darlins) is in ICU in Tenn and the outlook is grim..Bad day for five string banjo pickers..

Prayers go out to both and their familys..
    Last edited by BANJOPICKER1; 03-29-2012 at 02:21 PM.

R.I.P. Earl. Being a banjo player it's a sad day but he lives on in the music he created.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisKamanowns View Post
    R.I.P. Earl. Being a banjo player it's a sad day but he lives on in the music he created.
    Thanks for the response, his music will live on, in every kid or adult that picks up a 5 string..

CP to a fellow picker! By the way, I was born in Flint in 1960
    Last edited by BANJOPICKER1; 03-29-2012 at 03:46 PM.

Earl Scruggs in Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by BANJOPICKER1 View Post
    For anyone out there thats into Bluegrass or folk music, Earl Scruggs passed away today at the age of 88..I copyed my style of Banjo picking after him, when I was 12. I got my first LP called foggy moutain banjo and learned to play from that record. Playing part of a tune, then moving the record backwards to learn each lick...He was the man who wrote Foggy Mt Breakdown for the movie bonnie and clyde.. He will be missed!!

http://www.newschannel5.com/story/17...y-steve-martin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJOIq...layer_embedded

Also sad today for me, Doug Dillard from the Dillards ( andy griffith show the darlins) is in ICU in Tenn and the outlook is grim..Bad day for five string banjo pickers..

Prayers go out to both and their familys..
    When I was the Entertainment Director at Western State College, we booked Earl Scruggs for a show. It was May 1973, I believe, and Randy was with him if memeory serves. Great show. It was in the gym at WSC.

Requiescat in pace, Earl.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

RIP Mr. Scruggs. If it wasn't for Flatt & Scruggs, Bill Monroe and Ralph Stanley I wouldnt love Bluegrass!
    Family, country, rugby, football

I posted in the epic Peyton's NeckBones thread and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt!

I hadn't heard the news.

Prayers for the Scruggs family.

BANJOPICKER1, you have one of the coolest avys around.
    Administrator

#LupusAwareness

Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe --- I adopted: Everyone!

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    I hadn't heard the news.

Prayers for the Scruggs family.

BANJOPICKER1, you have one of the coolest avys around.
    Me Neither. Sad really because he was a class guy and really a true pioneer.
    Family, country, rugby, football

I posted in the epic Peyton's NeckBones thread and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt!

Quote Originally Posted by BANJOPICKER1 View Post
    Thanks for the response, his music will live on, in every kid or adult that picks up a 5 string..

CP to a fellow picker! By the way, I was born in Flint in 1960
    Do you go to the midwest banjo camp at Olivet college in june? I was born in Grand Rapids in 1991.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisKamanowns View Post
    Do you go to the midwest banjo camp at Olivet college in june? I was born in Grand Rapids in 1991.
    Im on the banjo hangout site and have been in many bands from Colorado to Nevada to the Boston area. Still have a buddy in Denver named Doug who plays with the High Plains Drifters. Never have done the banjo camps but see them listed on Banjo hangout. I got a ton of licks I have learned just from jam sessions and feel for me, thats the best place to get new licks and tunes. Some day when I win the lottery here in Seattle, I will try a banjo camp im sure.
    I play a 1982 OME triple X as my main banjo and have a Gibson RB4 that Im still trying out ( had it since 2001) just not as comfortable as the OME..

Earl Scruggs was like... the Jimi Hendrix of the banjo! RIP, Earl Scruggs! May the grass grow blue in heaven!

many will follow in his foot steps. RIP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3qbB4Kq3Y0