Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Hate to be a downer, but...

Everyone is on a high because of the Peyton Manning signing, but to think we really are Super Bowl contenders is beyond ridiculous. First off I will go on record to say that dumping Tebow, who we traded away 3 draft picks to move back into the 1st round to take, for basically a 4th round pick will be a mistake of epic proportions, but only time will tell I guess.

Signing Manning was a great move in most people's eyes, and it would have made sense if he had a team around him, unfortunately he does not. Let's take a look at the roster, shall we?

Quarterback
    Ok, we got Manning, who was, and I repeat was, one of the all-time greats. But at age 36 and coming off 4 neck surgeries I gotta wonder if he'll hold up, one blind side hit could put everything to a screeching halt. Maybe I'm wrong but I just don't see him taking us to the promise land. If and when he goes down who takes over? Caleb Hanie? Adam Webber? Lets hope he stays healthy.

Running back
    McGahee had a solid season, but isn't the most durable player out there. He will have to carry a huge load because we simply cannot count on Knowshon Moreno, or Lance Ball. We did nothing to address this in FA, but hey, with Manning chucking it 50 times a game who needs a running game right?

Wide Recievers
    I love Demaryius Thomas' potential, and he could be a great one, but heis not #1 reciever material yet. Decker is solid, but coming off a significant injury. We lose Eddie Royal but gain Andre Caldwell, lateral move at WR if you ask me, and when it comes to the return game, definite downgrade imo. But hey, Manning can make any reciever look all-pro, right?

Tight Ends
    We did upgrade here with Tamme and Dreesen, and I think Julius Thomas could step up this year. I'll give EFX a thumbs up here.

O-Line
    Our o-line did a good job run-blocking last year, pass blocking was a little sketchy though. Clady is no longer an elite LT, he's good but not elite. Beadles is a decent guard, but wouldn't start on alot of teams. J.D. Walton is a solid center, but we could use an upgrade here. I have a hard time believing Kuper will be the player he was after that horrific injury. Franklin appears to be a good pick, he should only improve this year. Once again, we completely neglected the line in FA, and we have zero depth. But hey, when you have Peyton Manning, who needs good pass blockers right?

D-Line
    Doom and Ayers are good DE's, but Doom is on the small side and can get shoved around in the running game. What the heck is our plan at DT? Letting Bunkley walk was beyond retarded, especially at 5 million per year, somehow it doesn't make sense to re-sign our best DT at this small price tag, but it makes perfect sense to give a 36 year old QB 19 million per year. EFX must think we're ok here with Vickerson and Warren, this makes me laugh. Warren isn't 1/10th of the player he once was, and Vickerson wouldn't start on most NFL teams. Fact is, in a division with the Raiders and Chiefs, two of the best running teams in the NFL, we need to be able to stop the run. No, teams will ram it down our throat, which nuetralizes Manning and keeps him off the field. But hey, our offense will score 40 points per week with Manning right? I hope so, cause thats the only way we'll win most weeks.

Linebackers
    Once again, we have no good run-stuffers at LB. Miller is good at getting to the passer, but is a liability in the run game. Mays as our starting MLB is a joke, the free agent pool was full of top-notch MLBs, but we land none, heck we only brought one in for a visit. So we have Mays and Irving competing here, scary thought if you ask me. Woodyard will hold the fort at WILL while D.J. serves yet another suspension. Woodyard is solid, but once again, would not start on most NFL teams. we did nothing in FA to address this thin position, but hey, at least we got Manning.

Defensive backs
    The secondary looks pretty good, and I like the Tracy Porter and Mike Adams signings. Champ is still a top 10 CB. This is without question the strength of our defense, but who needs to pass when teams will run for 200+ yards a game on us.

Optimism is high around here, but I just dont see how we improve from our 8-8 year last season. Manning has mediocre playmakers around him, a shaky o-line, and one quality rb. Our defense will take a step back from a barely mediocre performance last year. We will not be able to stop the run, and EFX has done nothing to address maybe the worst defensive line in the NFL. While I hope Manning is all that everyone hopes, I just see teams pounding it down our throats and keeping Manning off the field, we will not be able to stop the run, period. This team has so many holes, and we've filled none of them in FA so we'll have to look at the draft to fill them. But, I have a bold prediction, wanna hear it? Ryan Tannenhill will fall out of the top 10 on draft day, and we'll trade up to take him. Elway truly feels that all you need is a QB, and I think he feels Manning has 2-3 years left in him tops, so he'll want someone to groom under him, he will make a play for Tannenhill, thats my prediction. Which leaves us with maybe 3 or 4 mid to late round picks to fill our needs at DT, RB, O-Line, and Linebacker. The smart play? Take DT in the first 2 rounds, hope we hit huge on one of them, and since we will be looking at a top 15 pick in 2013 go hard after Barkley of Landry Jones.

Again, I hate to be a downer but, get used to alot of 35-31 ball games, which we'll lose most of because when teams get up on us, they can pound the running game, and chew up clock and there will be nothing we can do about it.

This is not a Tebow support thread, this is realism. We do not stack up agaisnt elite teams in the AFC, Manning or no Manning, we have a long way to go and it appears that Elway and company are basking in the limelight of making the biggest free agent signing of all time, and completely ignoring a roster full of gaping holes.

Color me worried. Flame all you want, but this is real. I'm predicting 8-8 at absolute best, and thats a stretch!

BINGO!!!

It struck me time and time again last year... The Denver Broncos just are not that good. The addition of one player makes us SB favorites? Please. We have a LONG WAY TO GO. The team we will field this year will fall short in talent of many of the Colt's teams that failed to produce rings under Manning. Dumping Tebow with a whole career ahead of him, a man who proved could take us a ways into the playoffs his first campaign will prove to be a huge mistake.

While I think our record will improve next year partly due to an immediate upgrade at QB... I don't think it wise long term to let the young jesus loving lad walk.
    Last edited by Zealander; 04-03-2012 at 05:24 PM.

8-8

We just won the division and a playoff game in a completely one dimensional offense

Seriously?

Some people can never be optimistic.

Lol paranoid much?

Im sick of all you doctors saying manning cant play.. the colts went from a 10-6 team to a 1-15 team w/o him
    saying were gonna regress is a joke
    Last edited by BeardedWonder; 04-03-2012 at 05:33 PM.

young o-line gelling together.

+

Young play makers at WR with the inclusion of Manning

+

Von, Doom, Champ and potentially a good player in Carter

=

Regression??

you lost me bro.

You forgot to address the coaching staff..

I get it too, people have lost there minds if they think we are a SB favorite now. The dude has only won 1 superbowl and somehow he is gonna start racking em up now? But nobody likes a realist

While I agree that we do need a few more pieces, I think we are real close and will be a contender this year, and a serious threat next year. I don't see us winning the Superbowl this year with Peyton, but I see another playoff berth. He was and still is 1 of the all time greats. Hes finally healthy after his 4 surgeries, and if he feels like he can play, then I won't doubt him.

The Colts with Manning are 12-4 just about every year, and always a top 2 team in the AFC, without him, they go 2-14 and have the #1 pick in the draft. So Manning, when healthy, makes a HUGE difference. We were 8-8 without Manning, not 2-14. If Manning had stayed with Indy and played next season, they would probably go back to 12-4 again. Theres more positives to him coming here then negatives imo.

Take an 8-8 team who can't throw the ball and goes 3-0 consistently.

Add Peyton Manning... who can put up points, throw the ball giving us a balanced Offence. Putting less pressure on the run game and less dependency on Willis McGahee..less carries = better for his health

I might also add that having an Offence that can PUT UP POINTS will help our defense. Allowing Elvis and Von to really get after the QB. we have upgraded our secondary with Porter.. Not to mention we added JDR who always fields a top flight defence.

and we havnt hit the draft...

8-8 if we are lucky. no improvement from last year.

ps: decker sprained his MCL it was not a 'major' injury... sigh...

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie24 View Post
    8-8

We just won the division and a playoff game in a completely one dimensional offense

Seriously?

Some people can never be optimistic.
    We won the division and a playoff game because of Tim Tebow, period!

Quote Originally Posted by KWHIT97 View Post
    And you expect to be taken seriously

Luckily for the Broncos, this year's draft is loaded at DT and there will be fewer three and outs so the defense won't get winded as easily.

During that 6-1 streak, the defense was shutting teams down and it was only year one of the John Fox era.

Quote Originally Posted by BeardedWonder View Post
    And you expect to be taken seriously
    Absolutely, if we would have started Orton all year we would be set at QB.....by taking Andrew Luck #1 overall!

arent Tebow fanatics supposed to be on the jets website???

I know that tebow had like 15 sacks and ran down many a runningback, thank god he played both ways. The defense had nothing to do with going 8-8 last year!!!

j

So with that logic... a better QB than Tebow (Manning) could lead the Broncos to even better?
    All in for Siemian!