Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Hate to be a downer, but...

Everyone is on a high because of the Peyton Manning signing, but to think we really are Super Bowl contenders is beyond ridiculous. First off I will go on record to say that dumping Tebow, who we traded away 3 draft picks to move back into the 1st round to take, for basically a 4th round pick will be a mistake of epic proportions, but only time will tell I guess.

Signing Manning was a great move in most people's eyes, and it would have made sense if he had a team around him, unfortunately he does not. Let's take a look at the roster, shall we?

Quarterback
    Ok, we got Manning, who was, and I repeat was, one of the all-time greats. But at age 36 and coming off 4 neck surgeries I gotta wonder if he'll hold up, one blind side hit could put everything to a screeching halt. Maybe I'm wrong but I just don't see him taking us to the promise land. If and when he goes down who takes over? Caleb Hanie? Adam Webber? Lets hope he stays healthy.

Running back
    McGahee had a solid season, but isn't the most durable player out there. He will have to carry a huge load because we simply cannot count on Knowshon Moreno, or Lance Ball. We did nothing to address this in FA, but hey, with Manning chucking it 50 times a game who needs a running game right?

Wide Recievers
    I love Demaryius Thomas' potential, and he could be a great one, but heis not #1 reciever material yet. Decker is solid, but coming off a significant injury. We lose Eddie Royal but gain Andre Caldwell, lateral move at WR if you ask me, and when it comes to the return game, definite downgrade imo. But hey, Manning can make any reciever look all-pro, right?

Tight Ends
    We did upgrade here with Tamme and Dreesen, and I think Julius Thomas could step up this year. I'll give EFX a thumbs up here.

O-Line
    Our o-line did a good job run-blocking last year, pass blocking was a little sketchy though. Clady is no longer an elite LT, he's good but not elite. Beadles is a decent guard, but wouldn't start on alot of teams. J.D. Walton is a solid center, but we could use an upgrade here. I have a hard time believing Kuper will be the player he was after that horrific injury. Franklin appears to be a good pick, he should only improve this year. Once again, we completely neglected the line in FA, and we have zero depth. But hey, when you have Peyton Manning, who needs good pass blockers right?

D-Line
    Doom and Ayers are good DE's, but Doom is on the small side and can get shoved around in the running game. What the heck is our plan at DT? Letting Bunkley walk was beyond retarded, especially at 5 million per year, somehow it doesn't make sense to re-sign our best DT at this small price tag, but it makes perfect sense to give a 36 year old QB 19 million per year. EFX must think we're ok here with Vickerson and Warren, this makes me laugh. Warren isn't 1/10th of the player he once was, and Vickerson wouldn't start on most NFL teams. Fact is, in a division with the Raiders and Chiefs, two of the best running teams in the NFL, we need to be able to stop the run. No, teams will ram it down our throat, which nuetralizes Manning and keeps him off the field. But hey, our offense will score 40 points per week with Manning right? I hope so, cause thats the only way we'll win most weeks.

Linebackers
    Once again, we have no good run-stuffers at LB. Miller is good at getting to the passer, but is a liability in the run game. Mays as our starting MLB is a joke, the free agent pool was full of top-notch MLBs, but we land none, heck we only brought one in for a visit. So we have Mays and Irving competing here, scary thought if you ask me. Woodyard will hold the fort at WILL while D.J. serves yet another suspension. Woodyard is solid, but once again, would not start on most NFL teams. we did nothing in FA to address this thin position, but hey, at least we got Manning.

Defensive backs
    The secondary looks pretty good, and I like the Tracy Porter and Mike Adams signings. Champ is still a top 10 CB. This is without question the strength of our defense, but who needs to pass when teams will run for 200+ yards a game on us.

Optimism is high around here, but I just dont see how we improve from our 8-8 year last season. Manning has mediocre playmakers around him, a shaky o-line, and one quality rb. Our defense will take a step back from a barely mediocre performance last year. We will not be able to stop the run, and EFX has done nothing to address maybe the worst defensive line in the NFL. While I hope Manning is all that everyone hopes, I just see teams pounding it down our throats and keeping Manning off the field, we will not be able to stop the run, period. This team has so many holes, and we've filled none of them in FA so we'll have to look at the draft to fill them. But, I have a bold prediction, wanna hear it? Ryan Tannenhill will fall out of the top 10 on draft day, and we'll trade up to take him. Elway truly feels that all you need is a QB, and I think he feels Manning has 2-3 years left in him tops, so he'll want someone to groom under him, he will make a play for Tannenhill, thats my prediction. Which leaves us with maybe 3 or 4 mid to late round picks to fill our needs at DT, RB, O-Line, and Linebacker. The smart play? Take DT in the first 2 rounds, hope we hit huge on one of them, and since we will be looking at a top 15 pick in 2013 go hard after Barkley of Landry Jones.

Again, I hate to be a downer but, get used to alot of 35-31 ball games, which we'll lose most of because when teams get up on us, they can pound the running game, and chew up clock and there will be nothing we can do about it.

This is not a Tebow support thread, this is realism. We do not stack up agaisnt elite teams in the AFC, Manning or no Manning, we have a long way to go and it appears that Elway and company are basking in the limelight of making the biggest free agent signing of all time, and completely ignoring a roster full of gaping holes.

Color me worried. Flame all you want, but this is real. I'm predicting 8-8 at absolute best, and thats a stretch!

BINGO!!!

It struck me time and time again last year... The Denver Broncos just are not that good. The addition of one player makes us SB favorites? Please. We have a LONG WAY TO GO. The team we will field this year will fall short in talent of many of the Colt's teams that failed to produce rings under Manning. Dumping Tebow with a whole career ahead of him, a man who proved could take us a ways into the playoffs his first campaign will prove to be a huge mistake.

While I think our record will improve next year partly due to an immediate upgrade at QB... I don't think it wise long term to let the young jesus loving lad walk.
    Last edited by Zealander; 04-03-2012 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zealander View Post
    BINGO!!!

It struck me time and time again last year... The Denver Broncos just are not that good. The addition of one player makes us SB favorites? Please. We have a LONG WAY TO GO. The team we will field this year will fall short in talent of many of the Colt's teams that failed to produce rings under Manning. Dumping Tebow with a whole career ahead of him, a man who proved could take us a ways into the playoffs his first campaign will prove to be a huge mistake.

While I think our record will improve next year partly due to an immediate upgrade at QB... I don't think it wise long term to let the young jesus loving lad walk.
    Take Drew Brees away from the Saints, are they still a superbowl contending team? :paper:

The right person at the right position in the right offense does make a world of difference. With PM, this team is balanced again. Other teams have to respect the pass which will help the ground game. They already have to respect the ground game because the Broncos were #1 in rushing last year. Just adding 1 man makes other teams fear us. With PM, this team is a superbowl contending team. Imo, this won't be the year because it is going to be a learning year for everybody. After this year, it's on
    Last edited by JvDub95; 04-04-2012 at 05:39 PM.

Andy Jano 2017 adopted Bronco

8-8

We just won the division and a playoff game in a completely one dimensional offense

Seriously?

Some people can never be optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie24 View Post
    8-8

We just won the division and a playoff game in a completely one dimensional offense

Seriously?

Some people can never be optimistic.
    We won the division and a playoff game because of Tim Tebow, period!

Quote Originally Posted by KWHIT97 View Post
    And you expect to be taken seriously

Quote Originally Posted by BeardedWonder View Post
    Absolutely, if we would have started Orton all year we would be set at QB.....by taking Andrew Luck #1 overall!

Absolutely, if we would have started Orton all year we would be set at QB.....by taking Andrew Luck #1 overall!
    only thing that proves is Tebow is better than Orton

Not that this team needs Tebow to be successful

The points our offense scored in 5 of our 8 wins with Tebow as the starter

How can anyone look at that and think the qb was the sole reason we won?

The whole "he just wins" or "he wins ugly" is the exact same stuff I heard about why Vince Young was gonna be successful despite being poor from the pocket

Over his career Peyton Manning has averaged 26 points per game

For once we might actually see what it is like to play with a lead
    Last edited by Br0nc0Buster; 04-03-2012 at 06:33 PM.

My chrystal ball said something different...

wow, but if you said its all cause of Manning then you should be taken seriously? right

Quote Originally Posted by LUKE_CHANEY View Post
    wow, but if you said its all cause of Manning then you should be taken seriously? right
    Cause scoring 14 points a game is something manning does in the majority of his games

how many games did tebow score under 20? (AND WIN!!!)

manning had one game under 20 points his last year. and saying that O isn't entirely him is a joke. and comparing him to Tebow is a joke.
    Last edited by BeardedWonder; 04-03-2012 at 05:49 PM.

It's hard to argue Tim was not THE integral catalyst that turned last years season around... I'd be interested.

Good coaching huh? Coaches

RB play?

Coaches coach and players PLAY! C'mon man!

ಠ◡ಠ ⊙▃⊙ ಠ_ಠ ಠ~ಠ ಥ_ಥ
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    What are you talking about?!

Teams stack the box to take away the run, esepcially when they don't think the QB can beat them by passing (see Steeler playoff game) they don't stack the box against passing teams especially when the QB can make quick decisions and get the ball out fast.

There's a difference between blitzing (bringing 5 or 6) and stacking the box (playing 9 men close to the line of scrimmage) teams blitzed Orton because they wanted to get to him quickly, but they respected the pass. We'll see the same this year with Manning but Manning is considered more deadly when he's blitzed (see 03 and 04 playoff games) so teams do this at their own risk.

Teams put 8 and 9 in the box against Tebow but only brought 4 in contain lanes (later in the season) because they realized that they could take away the run by doing this and Tebow wasn't able to make them pay.
    How'd that work out for them?

Every team we played towards the end of the season or so took a linebacker out of their defense to use specifically as a qb spy. That's not nothing.

It's hard to argue Tim was not THE integral catalyst that turned last years season around... I'd be interested.

RB play?

Nope. Didn't happen.

RB play?

The D was the "integral catalyst". We got 3 pieces back a few games into the season. Doom, Champ and DJ we're all dealing with injuries early in the season. They are the core of the D.
    and lets not forget that we had a new DC, changing to a new D formation, on a short offseason. It was going to take a few games to get going.

There were many games in which we could have easily won this year if tebow scored 2 touch downs and put us in position to kick a fg.. (or an equal ammount of scoring.) instead it came down to last second frantic scoring or 59 yard kicks.

good news, this year we won't have a problem scoring. and besides DJ, who could be replaced, we get the core of that D back.

arent Tebow fanatics supposed to be on the jets website???

I know that tebow had like 15 sacks and ran down many a runningback, thank god he played both ways. The defense had nothing to do with going 8-8 last year!!!

j