Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Sleeper Prospect- Joe Martinek

Adam Schefter just reported that he ran a 4.4 at his Pro-Day. I remember watching him in 2009, but I soon forgot about him as a prospect as I heard nothing about him after that point. The guy is a great football player, and at 220 pounds he would be a great late round pick for our backfield.

Also, take a look at those Earl Campbell type legs, combined with the speed. Has the looks of a great athlete, along with the athleticism. Also, he is New Jersey's all time leading rusher with 7500+ rushing yards.

He's got some gametime speed, too. He made some space for himself on multiple runs there against DBs.

Some of those blitz pickups were amazing (The UNC game especially). Looks like he could be a nice option for the 2-back sets Manning's offense is known for.

He can catch and block, yet Johnson and Pead still seem to be nice combo talents. Johnson gives us that elite FB who can also be a weapon and Pead gives us a 3rd down back that can replace Moreno (since we dont know Fanins status just yet)

I like him though, he has all the skills I look for but still Ild say hes below Ganaway Martin Pead and Johnson
    Last edited by Joshecalpoly; 03-29-2012 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snarfalicious View Post
    He's got some gametime speed, too. He made some space for himself on multiple runs there against DBs.

Some of those blitz pickups were amazing (The UNC game especially). Looks like he could be a nice option for the 2-back sets Manning's offense is known for.
    I got the exact same thoughts out of the video as you. His understanding of protections were great, and he has versatility that can be dynamic in our offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshecalpoly View Post
    He can catch and block, yet Johnson and Pead still seem to be nice combo talents. Johnson gives us that elite FB who can also be a weapon and Pead gives us a 3rd down back that can replace Moreno (since we dont know Fanins status just yet)

I like him though, he has all the skills I look for but still Ild say hes below Ganaway Martin Pead and Johnson
    Replace Moreno? I wouldn't say that in the least. Moreno is suited to be our running back more than any running back we have on our roster, when you consider his pass catching ability and pass protection.

Martinek would be nice to replace Ball or Fannin, though.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoooJohnson View Post
    I got the exact same thoughts out of the video as you. His understanding of protections were great, and he has versatility that can be dynamic in our offense.

Replace Moreno? I wouldn't say that in the least. Moreno is suited to be our running back more than any running back we have on our roster, when you consider his pass catching ability and pass protection.

Martinek would be nice to replace Ball or Fannin, though.
    Yes but when you consider injuries both Fannin and Moreno are high risk players to rely on. We need a 3rd down back, and a FB, Ball is horrible at both, Fannin is as injury prone as Moreno from what ive seen in college (though I really like his combination of speed power catching ability and blocking).

Though as far as a power back is concerned I besides using Johnson as a duel threat, Derrick Coleman can run right through people fairly easily. His work ethic is unquestionable and is an inspirational player which doesnt hurt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiBHLvqUwsQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWbpdRmylbc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YEwbERaODg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjzCuItGmhs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf3kK3TKNMg
    Last edited by Joshecalpoly; 03-29-2012 at 03:16 PM.

Yes but when you consider injuries both Fannin and Moreno are high risk players to rely on. We need a 3rd down back, and a FB, Ball is horrible at both, Fannin is as injury prone as Moreno from what ive seen in college (though I really like his combination of speed power catching ability and blocking).

Though as far as a power back is concerned I besides using Johnson as a duel threat, Derrick Coleman can run right through people fairly easily. His work ethic is unquestionable and is an inspirational player which doesnt hurt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiBHLvqUwsQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWbpdRmylbc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YEwbERaODg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjzCuItGmhs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf3kK3TKNMg
    Is Coleman considered a decent 3rd down option? I watched him in person here in Houston, but I only really recall him doing well on early downs (it was months ago, so I'm not 100% sure of how he was in protection or catching).

I like Martinek because he can serve as a fullback, third down back in the Peyton Manning style offense, and power back. In our old offense, we could use more one dimensional players as long as they got the job done, but I think we'll value versatility at the runningback position at blocking, running, and catching, all of which Martinek does along with saving a roster spot by playing fullback. He can also contribute on special teams, he's the true definition of a football player and a valuable pick.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoooJohnson View Post
    Is Coleman considered a decent 3rd down option? I watched him in person here in Houston, but I only really recall him doing well on early downs (it was months ago, so I'm not 100% sure of how he was in protection or catching).

I like Martinek because he can serve as a fullback, third down back in the Peyton Manning style offense, and power back. In our old offense, we could use more one dimensional players as long as they got the job done, but I think we'll value versatility at the runningback position at blocking, running, and catching, all of which Martinek does along with saving a roster spot by playing fullback. He can also contribute on special teams, he's the true definition of a football player and a valuable pick.
    Actually he can catch block tackle and return kicks

Hes probably about 1/3 the receiving threat Martinek is but hes a bruiser on blocks and tackles comperatively.

Hes not a 3rd down threat like Martinek and hes more of an upgraded version of Ball, but neither will be drafted maybe we can flood the stables and hope for the best
    Last edited by Joshecalpoly; 03-29-2012 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Revised

I want Martinek.... A lot.

But not as a full back. Get Evan Rodriguez for that.

Move him to back to tail back and let him cause havok.

Quote Originally Posted by THEdraftnik View Post
    I want Martinek.... A lot.

But not as a full back. Get Evan Rodriguez for that.

Move him to back to tail back and let him cause havok.
    I dont like his bulk honestly, he doesnt have the power to create running lanes, and doesnt take proper angles to sustain a good block

Diehl is a pure blocker and one of the best ive ever seen, he loves to hit people but thats about all he can do. Still hes elite and hes healthy

Johnson was injured and sadly that does scare me, but honestly hes worth more of a risk then any other FB after Diehl is off the boards. When healthy noone on this board could compare except Diehl in blocking as a FB, he was an amazing receiver and running back and is smart about his blocks
    Last edited by Joshecalpoly; 03-29-2012 at 05:01 PM.

I dont like his bulk honestly, he doesnt have the power to create running lanes, and doesnt take proper angles to sustain a good block

Diehl is a pure blocker and one of the best ive ever seen, he loves to hit people but thats about all he can do. Still hes elite and hes healthy

Johnson was injured and sadly that does scare me, but honestly hes worth more of a risk then any other FB after Diehl is off the boards
    I don't want a true fullback though. We are a passing team and traditional fullbacks are dead. I want a guy like Rodriquez who can be like an Aaron Hernandez for Peyton.

Quote Originally Posted by THEdraftnik View Post
    I don't want a true fullback though. We are a passing team and traditional fullbacks are dead. I want a guy like Rodriquez who can be like an Aaron Hernandez for Peyton.
    Thats the beauty of Johnson was he could do all, but yeah hes hurt, besides most believe we will be balance and with Manning at 70% we might even see more run this year.

If thats what were aiming for Ild rather wait a year and get Zach Line (granted hes more of a pure runner but get him the ball and magic seems to happen), or get Dunsmore who plays HB/TE/FB, the man ran a 4.64 which is still not sluggish and is an amazing receiver
    Last edited by Joshecalpoly; 03-29-2012 at 05:16 PM.

Thats the beauty of Johnson was he could do all, but yeah hes hurt, besides most believe we will be balance and with Manning at 70% we might even see more run this year.

If thats what were aiming for Ild rather wait a year and get Zach Line (granted hes more of a pure runner but get him the ball and magic seems to happen), or get Dunsmore who plays HB/TE/FB, the man ran a 4.64 which is still not sluggish and is an amazing receiver
    I made a mental not of Dunsmore at the combine, he looked very natural and fluid in the drills and tests. Would not mind it 1 bit if we drafted him.
    Denver Broncos GM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosk View Post
    Joey Bosa ~ Jason Spriggs ~ Darian Thompson ~ Nick Vannett ~ Paul Perkins ~ Dan Vitale

Dang, I heard of the guy but never really checked him out, love what I am seeing. Where is he predicted to go in the draft?

Johnson was injured and sadly that does scare me, but honestly hes worth more of a risk then any other FB after Diehl is off the boards. When healthy noone on this board could compare except Diehl in blocking as a FB, he was an amazing receiver and running back and is smart about his blocks
    You can't come close to comparing them as prospects, might as well compare Chris Rainey and Terrance Ganaway.