View Poll Results: What is your stance on draft trades?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Trade up for talent?

4 26.67%
  • Trade down for picks/less talented players?

1 6.67%
  • Stay put and draft BPA?

8 53.33%
  • Stay put and draft need?

2 13.33%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Draft Stance

Draft Stance

What are fellow board members stance on trades during the draft? Would you prefer the Broncos trade up for more talented players, trade down for more picks and less talented players, stay put and draft BPA, or stay put and draft on need?

I think I am one of the few who prefer the idea of trading up next year to draft an elite talent at either the MLB or DE/OLB position. I am tired of being weak in the middle of our defense. It always seems that the dominant players in the middle are high pick guys. Since we have been weak in the middle for over a decade, why not trade up for talent now.

We may never have the opportunity to be drafting #2 overall again (I hope). With the new CBA, it makes it easier to trade up for guys. Why not take advantage?
    Jacksonville Jaguars Broncomania GM:

We have too many holes to trade up.

And sorry, we're not signing Wallace, Knighton, and Byrd. There is a cap, and you can't spend it all, it's impossible and hurts in the future.

It really depends where we would pick at.

Quote Originally Posted by ERoyal248 View Post

And sorry, we're not signing Wallace, Knighton, and Byrd. There is a cap, and you can't spend it all, it's impossible and hurts in the future.

I know that, but maybe they take a discount due to chances of championship?

A man can hope cant he. I really just hope we sign Knighton and trade up for Te'o. I don't know what it would take to move up for him, but I want it to happen. That isn't out of the realm of possibility as signing Wallace, Byrd, Knighton and trading up. lol

I just want aggressiveness in the draft and FA this coming offseason. I feel that our D is close. We just need a couple of pieces and the right play calling.

Quote Originally Posted by ERoyal248 View Post

Agreed people do forget we have an elite NT we need to keep. If we also want to keep Porter or Bannan it will cost some money to. Trading up is rarely smart unless you are only using the draft picks to perform upgrades (in other words your teams holes are filled).

From what weve seen so far on the field we have holes to fill and we still dont know if we have an heir apparent to Bailey. We have to be smart and not reach for players and we have to make sure we are getting good value out of each pick

S (unknown Moore so far has improved but Adams is a joke in double coverage (he hung harris out to dry way to often), and can Carter be a full time starter with the ability to lead or can Moore provide that leadership)
    CB (no heir apparent to Bailey)
    NT(Unrein Vickerson and Wolfe seem to be a good future but with Bannan a FA do we want to just go FA for NT or do we want to go after youth)
    WR (Whose the 3rd receiver, and how long can Stokely last)
    WLB (do we want to keep relying on DJ with his personality getting in the way, and is his backup good enough to replace him full time)
    MLB (Nate Irving is hurt but we havent seen much of him, Mays is not a leader and hes a liability in coverage, how long can we keep Brooking in the NFL)
    C(3rd string C is an old wiley vet but how healthy and reliable are our injured 2 C's)
    G(Kuper is hurt is he healthy?, and we need someone more reliable to replace him if he goes down)
    Last edited by Joshecalpoly; 10-09-2012 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshecalpoly View Post
    Agreed people do forget we have an elite NT we need to keep. If we also want to keep Porter or Bannan it will cost some money to. Trading up is rarely smart unless you are only using the draft picks to perform upgrades (in other words your teams holes are filled).

From what weve seen so far on the field we have holes to fill and we still dont know if we have an heir apparent to Bailey. We have to be smart and not reach for players and we have to make sure we are getting good value out of each pick
    Can't tell if serious about bolded part?

I don't think we have a lot of holes. MLB, DT, S (depends on Carter), WR, and CB. I like Knighton as a DT solution in FA. I think we will be fine at S once Carter comes back (if he can stay healthy). I am like Moore a lot more now. He seems to be getting better by the game. I think we can last with the WR core we have now. CB is another pressing need, but can wait a year or two more. I think our biggest problem is MLB. Those are hard to come by, so trading up is our best option.

That is just my

I'd move up for Te'o, and thats about it.

MLB is the biggest need IMO. It is nearly impossible to judge until underclassmen come out in Jan. and draft position is established. It is possible that Steven Johnson or Nate Irving will get a shot at the position before the end of the season. If either steps up, that could diminish the need.

The Broncos are nearing the point at which more than seven draftees might not be able to make the team. Trading down for extra picks might not be advisable. They are also near the point of just drafting BPA with each pick.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    MLB is the biggest need IMO. It is nearly impossible to judge until underclassmen come out in Jan. and draft position is established. It is possible that Steven Johnson or Nate Irving will get a shot at the position before the end of the season. If either steps up, that could diminish the need.

The Broncos are nearing the point at which more than seven draftees might not be able to make the team. Trading down for extra picks might not be advisable. They are also near the point of just drafting BPA with each pick.
    I think if Irving would be a better MLB, he would be by now. I just don't see it. Johnson is another story because he was just a UDFA this offseason.

The middle of our D is bad. We need to fix that. It will never get fixed IMO if we just "take whats there". We need to go get the guy instead of waiting for him.

Quote Originally Posted by FlowdaBroncoFan View Post
    Can't tell if serious about bolded part?

I don't think we have a lot of holes. MLB, DT, S (depends on Carter), WR, and CB. I like Knighton as a DT solution in FA. I think we will be fine at S once Carter comes back (if he can stay healthy). I am like Moore a lot more now. He seems to be getting better by the game. I think we can last with the WR core we have now. CB is another pressing need, but can wait a year or two more. I think our biggest problem is MLB. Those are hard to come by, so trading up is our best option.

That is just my
    So thats 3 draft picks youve I.D.ed we need, G depth is one ild say is on there because Ramirez just frustrates me as a backup. Also, as a defender of DJ for a while I am on my last straw with this incident, he needs to be weened out sooner rather then later. So thats 5 of the 6 draft picks we need

We dont know a lot of things this early in the season so we do have a lot of questions, we just lost 2 C's to IR which complicates things a bit at that position, and we dont know Kupers ability is at the level it has been. Personally I dont like replacing a FS (since we really use Moore as a SS) and a MLB at the same time in the draft since those tend to be the leadership positions (sometimes along with NT) but I am not comfortable with Adams at FS or as a leader.
    Last edited by Joshecalpoly; 10-09-2012 at 11:10 AM.

I'm for everything but drafting just based on need. I am a huge advocate against that. I'm even for a combination. Like trade up in the 1st and grab a talent if they drop and trade down in the later rounds to stockpile competition on guys with potential that fell through the cracks because of off-field problems as well as injuries and changing of positions that debilitated their production. Such as Kenny Tate and Ray Ray Armstrong (Not specifically, just an example)

BPA for me
    Anonymity is cowardice, and cowards are not known for their wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by Matymaddog View Post
    I'm for everything but drafting just based on need. I am a huge advocate against that. I'm even for a combination. Like trade up in the 1st and grab a talent if they drop and trade down in the later rounds to stockpile competition on guys with potential that fell through the cracks because of off-field problems as well as injuries and changing of positions that debilitated their production. Such as Kenny Tate and Ray Ray Armstrong (Not specifically, just an example)
    Agreed drafting just based on need alone forces reaches (like under McD). However sometimes if you draft on BPA you end up drafting a player that you feel is overrated or a player in a position that is already well cemented for your team. I liked what we did last year dropping back because we felt we could get Wolfe at a better draft position and we had him as the BPA for our needs (though many argued we still drafted him to high). There have been studies that show 2nd round draft picks and later 1st rounders having a hire probability of working out (to many big busts injuries or off the field issues with some of the 1sts) granted its rare to find a big diamond in the ruff but they are there. Also, sometimes players fall for only the simple reason that teams have other needs.

I can say this as long as our major concerns are filled trading up isnt a problem for me but only for QB's or MLB's (Some C's and S's are the exception)(NT is so hard to draft that ild prefer not to trade up)
    Last edited by Joshecalpoly; 10-09-2012 at 11:24 AM.

I think if Irving would be a better MLB, he would be by now. I just don't see it. Johnson is another story because he was just a UDFA this offseason.

The middle of our D is bad. We need to fix that. It will never get fixed IMO if we just "take whats there". We need to go get the guy instead of waiting for him.
    It's only Irving's 2nd year with the Broncos. Fox has always preferred veterans to rookies so of course he's going to let Mays get a lot of playing time. The fact that Nate Irving is actually getting to play defense now is proof that he is improving. I wouldn't expect him to replace Mays 5 games into the season, but towards the end of October I can see him getting a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    It's only Irving's 2nd year with the Broncos. Fox has always preferred veterans to rookies so of course he's going to let Mays get a lot of playing time. The fact that Nate Irving is actually getting to play defense now is proof that he is improving. I wouldn't expect him to replace Mays 5 games into the season, but towards the end of October I can see him getting a shot.
    I understand that this is only his 2nd season, but he had a full offseason and preseason to prove himself. Even when Mays (who is really bad anyway) was out for a game who replaced him? Brooking, who is old, slow, and not so great himself. All I am saying is, sometimes we have to take off the orange colored glasses and realize that it is time to upgrade/move on. Rookies are starting and producing more and more. The time of developing them is dwindling down.

There basically isnt much of a wait and see period anymore. Thats all I am saying. With the rate coaches are getting fired and players being moved around, there isnt time for a wait and see approach anymore. This is the new NFL.

I understand that this is only his 2nd season, but he had a full offseason and preseason to prove himself. Even when Mays (who is really bad anyway) was out for a game who replaced him? Brooking, who is old, slow, and not so great himself. All I am saying is, sometimes we have to take off the orange colored glasses and realize that it is time to upgrade/move on. Rookies are starting and producing more and more. The time of developing them is dwindling down.

There basically isnt much of a wait and see period anymore. Thats all I am saying. With the rate coaches are getting fired and players being moved around, there isnt time for a wait and see approach anymore. This is the new NFL.
    Fox will always play a veteran over a rookie or 2nd year player though. This goes back to his days at Carolina. Irving has been forcing his way onto the field as a rotational LB, he'll slowly work his way into the lineup. Fox didn't want to bench DeShaun Foster for DeAngelo Williams despite it being clear to everyone Williams was ready for a bigger role. Actually going back to Foster, John Fox continued to start Stephen Davis over him even though Davis was clearly on the downside of his career. Irving will show up as a good starter when he gets his chance.