• Show
Clear All
  • Ashmedai
    Practice Squad
    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by SBboundBRONCOS View Post
    the TB was basically trading up a round almost a 4 for a 5

you cant do to much about what teams are offering you
    I get what took place, but I still feel like we could have gotten more after all was said and done in the end.

Comment

• yaz96
      Special Teams
      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Ashmedai View Post
      I think some of you are missing the point here. The problem is NOT that we traded down. The problem is the value of the trade(s) that were made. We at least got a PICK from NE by moving down, UNLIKE the trade with TB. If we had gotten TWO picks instead of one, then I'm sure a lot on this board wouldn't feel like the Broncos got shafted.
      Winner winner, chicken dinner!!!
      Where is this season going?

Comment

• SBboundBRONCOS
        some fans are just dumb
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Ashmedai View Post
        I get what took place, but I still feel like we could have gotten more after all was said and done in the end.
        i think we were a 3rd or 4th rounder (100 points) off after both trades

but to lump them together saying we got screwed doesnt work we didnt get good deals on either but we certainly didnt get raped as some would like to believe
        sigpic
        -------

Comment

• utebroncofan
          Practice Squad
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
          Bet you anything whoever they would have taken at 25 is still there when we draft in the second and we still get that player anyway. What makes me laugh is I bet whoever we draft in the second if we had taken him at 25 people wouldn't complain but since we traded back and gained draft picks (but not as many as the armchair gm association would have preferred) people will throw a fit....

I can't stand the know it alls on this board when it comes to FO moves....Most of them are sure they could run the team better than our FO who all have years more experience than them.
          Not too mention maybe The FO uses the salary they save by picking said player 11 picks later to get 2 or 3 UDFA or maybe a veteran that gets released after the draft that can come in and fill a need on this team.

Comment

• AdamSchefter
            Practice Squad
            • Mar 2012

Originally posted by utebroncofan View Post
            Not too mention maybe The FO uses the salary they save by picking said player 11 picks later to get 2 or 3 UDFA or maybe a veteran that gets released after the draft that can come in and fill a need on this team.
            Or they don't use that money at all

Comment

• AdamSchefter
              Practice Squad
              • Mar 2012

The patriots got a stud linebacker and pass rusjer we got a 4th round pick???// that's the one team you don't help no matter what

Comment

• #24 Next Champ
                Playmaker
                • Oct 2008

Originally posted by AdamSchefter View Post
                The patriots got a stud linebacker and pass rusjer we got a 4th round pick???// that's the one team you don't help no matter what
                Exactly they hose everyone n we let them get much better without even making them pay

Comment

• soloking
                  Special Teams
                  • Jan 2010

we should have got 2 forth round picks and not gave one to Tampa. We lost 84 points on the draft scale.
                  We should have traded back 2 times and ended up with
                  36, 101 and 126!

Tampa robbed us.

Comment

• yaz96
                    Special Teams
                    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by soloking View Post
                    we should have got 2 forth round picks and not gave one to Tampa. We lost 84 points on the draft scale.
                    36, 101 and 126!
                    Hear, hear!
                    Where is this season going?

Comment

• Joshecalpoly
                      Starter
                      • Dec 2005

What happened was we had no pick that was worth drafting at that position that would have started right away and all season (we didnt need another Stud we have Von)

We traded the Pats because the Vikings werent willing to pay the right price for where we were, so we dropped back and got a 4th, and actually analysts said it was the best we could do for where we were

They were going to then make a deal with the Vikes but the Ravens beat them to it, so they went with the best trade possible.

We got hosed mostly because of our position we were to far back to draft anyone worth drafting and we were to high up to get out of the 1st so we dropped back and took a hit then there wasnt much left to do.
                      2016 Draft: http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...aft-Watch-list

Comment

• Ahrum
                        Special Teams
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by soloking View Post
                        36, 101 and 126!

Tampa robbed us.
                        Tampa didn't rob us. NE did.

The value of the trades goes as such.

#25 (720) to #31 (600) & #126 (46) ...
                        Net loss of 74 pts (Pick #110)

#31 (600) & #126 (46) to #36 (540) & #101 (96) ...
                        Net loss of 10 pts (pick #206 - negligible)

NE hosed us.

Comment

• CasualFan
                          Playmaker
                          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Kazmo View Post
                          I'm not mad about trading down, I liked that we traded down. I'm mad that we got absolutely NO VALUE for trading down. We gave up our 4th AND we traded out of the first round for a 4th?! If we wanted to move up in the 4th so bad we could've probably traded a 6th round pick later in the draft. The trades make absolutely no sense and are embarrassing.
                          After reading this entire thread I think you guys aren't facing up to two facts:
                          1. Every GM in the league knew that Denver had missed on the first tier of DTs and corners and so wanted to get out of the #25 position pretty badly.
                          2. Teams can't trade phantom picks with you that they don't have to make the value chart square precisely. They can only trade with what they've got.

On 1), you're in a weak negotiating position given how the draft had gone to that point and everyone can see it, so the best deal you're going to get isn't the exact deal that the picks are supposedly worth in the abstract, or just because Jimmy Johnson's value chart says so. Losing some value points isn't the fault of EFX, it's due to the bad luck of how Round 1 went.

On 2), New England had already traded off their 3rd rounder at #93 to the Bengals to move up to the Bengals' pick at #21 from the Patriots' pick at #27. So they only had their 4th rounder at #126 left to trade with by that point and that's all they can offer. If they still had their 3rd rounder then the values match almost precisely: our pick at #25 was worth 720, their pick at #31 is worth 600 and their pick at #93 is worth 128.

Sequence of Patriots' trades

The trade value of picks is determined in what amounts to a seven-minute auction, with only a few teams even potentially participating, and with picks to trade that aren't always going to match the value chart precisely. In which case you take the best offer you get, which isn't always going to be precisely fair, or else draft a player who you might not want to take at that position. Those are your options. EFX went with the first one. As fans, we can argue for the second one of taking a player, which is difficult because we still got the DT we were targeting, or else we can argue that they should have somehow gotten a better deal. The latter case is very difficult to make, because the Patriots offered us the best deal they could given the picks they had left with which to deal and so couldn't offer us a deal any better than that. Unless you want to make the case that EFX could have found some phantom team out there in just a few frantic minutes that wanted to trade to our precise position at #25, and that had a collection of picks that make the trade look good by the value chart, then this whole argument is moot.

Comment

• dizzolve
                            Orange Rush
                            • Mar 2009

I kinda have a feeling the Dakota Watson trade was probably part of the cost of Scangarello.

Remember how it all went down with Rich? We asked for permission and were DENIED by our "friends" the Niners. Somehow Elway talked them into allowing Rich to talk with the Broncos regarding the OC position. Maybe there's a player to be named later so to speak yet owed too ......... or another one sided draft trade

It's possible -- but do you think it's likely?

I know recently the Broncos went back the Niners again regarding their 2 back up QBs ......... and again were denied.

What do you think the chances another deal can be made? Feels like to me that we already snagged one guy they really weren't interested in replacing.
                            The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

• beastlyskronk
                              Football Immortal
                              • Jun 2007

You could look at it that way but I also think John Lynch is still trying to establish an image as a GM and probably felt it was a bad look to deny a promotion. And Kyle’s seat may be a little hotter than we realize and that reputation could come into play if he’s trying to get a new coach.

Not only that but I feel like Elway thought at the time Watson had a legit shot at making the team. Watson has been a core special teams guy and does offer serious speed off the edge. If Reed hadn’t showed out and Hollins wasn’t drafted then Watson is likely still on the team. Also Watson came into camp a good bit heavier than people expected and that might’ve played a role into it as well.

I do however think we can snag one of their QBs but compensation will likely be the issue. What’s the value of a backup QB who may never see the field if all things go right? And if he does and plays well, now there’s a potential 3 way QB controversy all while the 49ers are snake bitten from the injuries they suffered at QB last season.
                              Last edited by beastlyskronk; 08-29-2019, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X