Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Malik Jackson is a Stud!

5. Tennessee defensive tackle Malik Jackson ó For a much cheaper price, a team could get a higher-effort if only slightly less-gifted version of Quinton Coples on the draftís third day. Jacksonís production wasnít overwhelming while forced to play nose tackle on an undermanned Tennessee line, but he could excel at 4-3 left end, 4-3 tackle, or five technique in a 3-4. Jackson plays the game relentlessly, and heís learned to defeat double teams. Heís one of our favorite 2012 sleepers.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...d-day/related/

According to Sporting News' Russ Lande, Tennessee DL Malik Jackson has particularly appealed to 3-4 teams as a possible five-technique defensive end, and projects as a third- or fourth-round pick.
    A longtime favorite of Rotoworld draft analyst Josh Norris, Jackson has a prototype five-technique body at 6-foot-6, 284 with nearly 34-inch arms. He is an effective interior pass rusher who plays relentlessly versus the run. Lande also pegs Jackson as a potential "two-gap" 4-3 tackle with starting potential. Apr. 25 - 2:17 pm et
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...d-day/related/

I don't like the Coples comparison. I see him more as a Jason Jones type who is a fantastic edge setter or an elite penetrator. I love the pick.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHuddleReport
    Malik Jackson DE/DT Tennessee

TALENT BOARD
    Round 1

STRENGTHS
    Malik is an excellent defensive lineman who is playing out of position for his college team. He has good size and an excellent burst off the ball. Malik is a solid athlete and shows good change of direction skills and is a head up, wrap up, squeeze and drive tackler. He shows on film the athleticism to play multiple positions for the team that drafts him in a 4-3 defense or a 3-4 defense. Malik's real strength is in rushing the passer. His quickness and strength is very hard to handle and when he uses both at the same time to rush the passer, he is explosive. He shows leadership skills and football intelligence in directing teammates along the line. He has good mental stamina. He does a solid job when playing defensive tackle, but when his coaches move him to the outside on some passing downs, that is when Malik's true talents and impact become obvious. Right now, Malik is a sleeper in this draft, but something tells me if he is invited to the Senior Bowl and works out at the combine, he will move up the draft boards quickly.

CONCERNS
    As a defensive tackle in a 4-3, Malik is not big enough at the point of attack. The effort is there, but he lacks the true techniques and size you need at the next level to stuff the run. He needs to lose a little more weight because his athleticism suggests that he could be an DE or OLB in a 3-4 defense or even be used as a jack linebacker like Clay Mathews (OLB Green Bay Packers), but he will have to lose about ten pounds to allow for his flexibility to show itself when he might be asked to drop off the line and cover.

BOTTOM LINE
    For the next level, I do not believe Malik's impact position is as a defensive tackle. He has played that position for his college team and has done an good job; howver, in my opinion, Malik should be drafted as a DE for a 4-3 defense or 3-4 defense. On the inside of the defensive line, he is not big enough against the run. I suspect after he works out and shows the athleticism I know he has, teams that use a 3-4 defense will be looking hard at him and trying to decide if they should bulk him up a little and make him a DE in a 3-4 or have him lose weight down to about 260 and use him as a OLB in a 3-4. For me personally, I would slim him down and use him as a OLB in a 3-4. The kid is a natural explosive pass rusher and that, along with his leadership skills and football intelligence, makes me feel he is an impact player if used in that way. Malik is the type of player the scouts like to stash and select later in the draft because his college team had a lot of young players on it and he played out of position. The smart drafting teams like the Patriots, Ravens, Steelers, Giants and a few others are not afraid to draft a player like Malik and let him work himself into the line up and eventually impact and become one of the core players to build a defense around. This kid has similar talents to Clay Mathews when he came out in the draft. Malik is a little more stout than Clay, but the explosiveness and power are the same. If a team is smart they will draft this kid early and use him the way the Packers use Clay and never be sorry.
    Scouting report on him from a guy who only looks at film and ignores the media. Same guy who called the Karl Klug pick last season.

I am so excited for Malik. I think he'll outperform Wolfe this season.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0p2b...eature=g-all-u
    Last edited by BF_forever; 04-28-2012 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by THEdraftnik View Post
    I don't like the Coples comparison. I see him more as a Jason Jones type who is a fantastic edge setter or an elite penetrator. I love the pick.
    Where would he see the field? He's too small to play inside on obvious run situations and Hunter is more likely to fill in for Dumervil than he is. Ayers played some 700 snaps last year and has great conditioning.

I don't think he'll beat out Ayers for passing situations at DT - He did very well.

Probably my favorite pick of the draft, honestly. They should convert him to LB.

Prototypical 4-3 DE from the SEC. At this point, it is an interesting choice. Maybe he is similar to Robert Ayers. At least the Broncos did not spend a 1st round pick on this one. Jackson will probably play LDE.
    Last edited by -Rod-; 04-28-2012 at 11:14 AM.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Wow, 6'6 280? I'm glad we're getting guys with good size on the dline, Wolfe is 6'5 295.

He won't start but he'll be part of the rotation with Ayers and Doom.

Great pick-up by us. Malik Jackson has a very high motor. He was the best defensive player on Tennessee's team for the past two seasons. He will prove to be a steal in the 5th round.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahrum View Post
    Where would he see the field? He's too small to play inside on obvious run situations and Hunter is more likely to fill in for Dumervil than he is. Ayers played some 700 snaps last year and has great conditioning.

I don't think he'll beat out Ayers for passing situations at DT - He did very well.
    Probably just nikle packages to start out. But you find a position for a guy like Jackson. And I very much like Jackson's pass rush potential more than Ayers.

But here are a couple things to look out for. Hybrid scheme running some 3-4 looks, and the NASCAR package. Jackson as a 5 tech or a 3 tech in the latter.

He has the height to put on 10-15 more lbs and kick inside to DT. If Ayers doesn't step up as a pass rusher this year, I could see Jackson pushing him for his starting job at LE. I doubt it though, I think we drafted him to play DT. We seem to be going after DTs that are good at stunts and twists, both Jackson and Wolfe are good at that while neither are an anchor at DT. We're going to stop the run by confusing o-line and out working them rather than overpowering them

Probably just nikle packages to start out. But you find a position for a guy like Jackson. And I very much like Jackson's pass rush potential more than Ayers.

But here are a couple things to look out for. Hybrid scheme running some 3-4 looks, and the NASCAR package. Jackson as a 5 tech or a 3 tech in the latter.
    I definitely like his potential in hybrid looks, but even still - Ayers would likely play 5-tech nowadays. With Wolfe and Ayers at 5-tech.. once again, I don't think he fits properly.

I really just can't see him beating out Ayers. He's (Ayers) gotten a lot better and is more integral to this team than people give him credit for. His sack against Big Ben in the playoffs was absolutely wonderful. Wolfe and Ayers are likely to play inside during NASCAR
    Last edited by Ahrum; 04-28-2012 at 11:20 AM.

Sounds like we had a few guys who we thought could start right now. We could not get them without giving up too much so we are getting guys the coaches feel they can coach up.

Least we are trying to get guys to coach up this year instead of ignoring the DL like we been doing for years.

I been screaming for help on the DL so long I do not even remember when it started man
    All I want for Christmas is a Bronco QB controversy

Quote Originally Posted by Ahrum View Post
    I definitely like his potential in hybrid looks, but even still - Ayers would likely play 5-tech nowadays. With Wolfe and Ayers at 5-tech.. once again, I don't think he fits properly.

I really just can't see him beating out Ayers. He's gotten a lot better and is more integral to this team than people give him credit for. His sack against Big Ben in the playoffs was absolutely wonderful. Wolfe and Ayers are likely to play inside during NASCAR
    NASCAR is a 4 DE package. The giants had;

Kiwi - Tuck - JPP - Osi

I would imagine ours would be;
    Von - Ayers - Jackson - Doom

Kiwi - Tuck - JPP - Osi

I think Wolfe is better at getting to the QB than Jackson would be. Not sure why we'd take out our better pass rusher just to make the line fit the proper term for "NASCAR"

Also, Kiwanuka is a linebacker, just like Von is.

Kiwi - Tuck - JPP - Osi

Just sayin Wolfe will play on passing situations