Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Draft

Does anyone think the rookie wage scales may have motivated the rookies last year?
    Cam Newton put up incredible numbers for a rookie along with Von, Aldon Smith, JJ watt and others who had good years.
    So cal Water Polo player Broncos fan

In his first start T.J Yates has tied Tony Romo for playoff wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodgers31296 View Post
    Does anyone think the rookie wage scales may have motivated the rookies last year?
    Cam Newton put up incredible numbers for a rookie along with Von, Aldon Smith, JJ watt and others who had good years.
    I think what it did was multiple things, and all good:

- properly compensated rookies, who have never played a down in the league.....still at a very high level but nowhere near the ridiculous salaries from before, which made a untested player more valuable contract-wise than a quality vet
    - kept these young men very hungry to prove themseleves, knowing that the first contract should not be the primary contract....in fact, it gives guys a little lower down (in the draft) a real shot at making more money long term by excelling at what they do....which is so very important for all involved
    - promotes more active trading possibilities in the draft, which makes things so much more interesting, while opening the door for win win opportunities all over the league
    - probably takes the pressure off high level players, as the previous pay scale put them in a "better not falter" place.....and we have to remember, these guys need some time and also need to make some mistakes. They are just young men who need to mature and be developed.

Great thread. Very ineresting and makes alot of sense

Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    Mayock said today on Eisens podcast that teams don't follow the trade value chart anymore
    Did he say what new value chart they follow at this point? Obviously they use some sort of algorithm, with different teams possibly having different views on what that should be.

Sylvester Williams
    Kawann Short
    Jesse Williams
    these are the 3 NT that we should keep an eye on
    Anthony McCloud will surprise some people IMHO, and Star Lotulelei will fall to 5th best NT that is unless Johnathon Hankins comes out
    Last edited by Joshecalpoly; 05-04-2012 at 07:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PioneerBroncFan View Post
    As far as the Broncos drafting since this current FO has been together, It has been a mixture of value gambles and production picks. I would look for more of that in the future. They value gambles they pick (irving, moore, bolden) all coming off injuries in college with higher talent levels than the rounds they were picked in. The production players they picked (Wolfe, Miller, Carter, Hilman, Blake, Treevathan, Jackson) were the most productive players on the board at their positions at the time they were picked. Then their was Osweiller, their lone POTENTIAL pick in the draft in the last two years. Wether we look to trade up or back, I would expect the Broncos front office to either take the most productive player or a "value gamble" on a player coming off injury. What they do not seem to put a ton of stock in is the combine, player competition level, or what the draftniks think. People looking to mock next years draft might want to keep these points in mind.
    Its worth noting that Os had a ton of production at ASU also. 13 games last season and over 4000 yards and 26 tds. It may have been just one season, but it just points more to the fact that we take guys who have produced on the college level.

I think a big part of it was that the lockout in a lot of cases simplified schemes for players. The coaches did not have enough time to put in and practice all the plays, so several had to start with the simpler stuff and build on it.

While the lockout hurt some players, I think for the qbs it helped them. Their head wasnt swimming with information overload.

Quote Originally Posted by CasualFan View Post
    Did he say what new value chart they follow at this point? Obviously they use some sort of algorithm, with different teams possibly having different views on what that should be.
    It was a really good listen, if you go to NFL.com videos it should be up there. Mayock talked for 40 mins about the draft and mentioned us briefly saying that scouts he spoke to loved the fact Osweiler was a football junkie and really smart.

He just said the old value chart is no longer used and if a team doesn't like who's left at their pick they will take anything to move down.

Though I normally agree about moving back, in some cases when the position is an anchor or captain position such as QB and C on offense NT ILB and FS on D its about being there at the right place at the right time. Its rare to find good players at these positions that are good leaders and if you are not in position to get the best players for your team and trading up wont sell the farm its in your best interest to try and move up.

Draft strategy depends on the position a team is in. If the team is highly successful and needs few starters, then the team should draft for great players and backups. If the team is very bad, then it must accumulate draft picks and take players who must be starters. If a team is mediocre, like the Broncos, then it should target good players at several positions of immediate need. The Broncos drafted a few positions of immediate need, ignored the other positions of immediate need, and wasted too many picks on backups.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodgers31296 View Post
    I don't think so. When you look at players like Von and Watt, they were high motor/productive players in college. Money is not a factor to them in how they approach the game. They have a love and respect for the game, and they also hold themselves accountable to their teammates and orginization.

As far as Cam is concern, and i'll put Dalton in this conversation, they were a product of the lockout. Which in their case was a blessing in disguise. With limited time to prepare for the season, the "smart coaches" didn't try to force the whole playbook down their throats. They implemented a basic offense to start off, along with adding some plays that Cam and Dalton were comfortable with, then they added more as the season went on. It allowed Cam and Dalton to go out an play vs thinking a whole lot, which is why they had a very good rookie season (especially Cam).

Maybe it's going to get as simple as the approach Billy Beane takes (watch "Money Ball").......hey, what about............Anderson............cmon, you don't even know who he is!!!!

Sure made trading look simple......and it's basically a true story!

Early 2013 Big Board

Its early but whats the opinion of this.

I don't know much about these players at the moment, except Barkley and the Honeybadger

http://walterfootball.com/draft2013bigboard.php

Did I miss the whole '12 season??? What the H!!!!!

just messin with ya bud!

I'm watching games of San Diego State because of Ronnie Hillman and I really like their TE, Gavin Escobar. I think he will be an eligible underclassman in 2013. Very good ball skills and built like a receiving TE.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607