Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Draft

If we got Mathieu it would be a luxury pick, we would have to call a 10 man defense and let the Honeybadger do what he wants, it would be a great idea for a team that has defensive talent across the board to do this, if we feel like we're at that point than Mathieu could add a lot of playmaking to our defense.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoooJohnson View Post
    If we got Mathieu it would be a luxury pick, we would have to call a 10 man defense and let the Honeybadger do what he wants, it would be a great idea for a team that has defensive talent across the board to do this, if we feel like we're at that point than Mathieu could add a lot of playmaking to our defense.
    I feel he could play the Charles Woodson position. CB/NB/FS/blitzer. Plus he would add amazing returning abilities! Top 10 pick if he comes out next year. Too much playmaking ability in his game.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouCatFan View Post
    Zach Mettenberger will be a top 10 pick at QB.

Honey Badger will never play strong safety. Not sure where anyone would ever see that. I actually think Honey Badger is going to have a tough time making as more than a nickel back in the NFL. His coverage skills really suck. Alabama exposed him bigtime.
    Is Mettenberger any good? Is he more of a runner or a passer? I know he's a transfer from Georgia right? Are they changing the offense for him or will it still be the read option?

Check out my NFL Draft website!

Quote Originally Posted by AllEyezOnZach27 View Post
    I feel he could play the Charles Woodson position. CB/NB/FS/blitzer. Plus he would add amazing returning abilities! Top 10 pick if he comes out next year. Too much playmaking ability in his game.
    Charles Woodson is 6'1", Mathieu is 5'9. That's a big difference especially at the corner position. Woodson is capable of playing outside, teams might question Mathieu's ability to hold up on the outside, and that could hurt his draft stock. He's an incredible playmaker though, so I can't see him falling out of the first round. Now more than ever you need good defensive backs in the NFL, regardless of what specific position he plays, he's a good DB. Returning punts, forcing fumbles, interceptions, big hits, sacks- he does it all. However, if you're going to take him you have to have a plan in mind for how to use him. Teams in need of true corners might look elsewhere, and that's why I think he could fall to the end of the first round, because those teams will likely be picking pretty high. At the end of the first there will be a team who can afford the luxury pick like GB or NE and they'll make him into a star. By the way I think the best way to use him in the pros is exactly how LSU uses him. They maximize his skill set to the fullest.

Check out my NFL Draft website!

Quote Originally Posted by DaChAmPiShErE24 View Post
    Charles Woodson is 6'1", Mathieu is 5'9. That's a big difference especially at the corner position. Woodson is capable of playing outside, teams might question Mathieu's ability to hold up on the outside, and that could hurt his draft stock. He's an incredible playmaker though, so I can't see him falling out of the first round. Now more than ever you need good defensive backs in the NFL, regardless of what specific position he plays, he's a good DB. Returning punts, forcing fumbles, interceptions, big hits, sacks- he does it all. However, if you're going to take him you have to have a plan in mind for how to use him. Teams in need of true corners might look elsewhere, and that's why I think he could fall to the end of the first round, because those teams will likely be picking pretty high. At the end of the first there will be a team who can afford the luxury pick like GB or NE and they'll make him into a star. By the way I think the best way to use him in the pros is exactly how LSU uses him. They maximize his skill set to the fullest.
    Exactly what I was getting at. A stale defense like Tampa Bay or Chicago wouldn't be looking at him, but if a team without many needs figures they can expend a first rounder on a pure football player than they'll look at the Honeybadger.

What Pittsburgh does is essentially calls a ten man defense to allow Palomalu to do what he does. If we got him we would probably look into implementing a little of this into our gameplan to allow him to do what he does. We won't get him, though, unless we don't have dire needs in the draft.

They never really adjusted the offense too much for Jefferson, mostly play action and throwing on the rollout, they had about as much option as us, though.

Mettengerger is decent, he could easily lake an egg though, imo. Nobody knows for sure how good he is.

Andrew Jackson MLB Western Kentucky
    If Irving doesnt work out and Mays still sucks i see us going with a MLB

How would this kid be for a late first round steal? Amazing routes and great ball skills, looks a ton like AJ Green to me.

^^^ by the way his name is Marquess Wilson from Washington State

Drafting 101.......Watch For A Broader Approach To "Getting Your Guy" in 2013

A lot of draft analysts have been touting the cool and calm Belichick approach......be patient, wait for a call or two, and move back for more value. Of course it takes one team to move up for another to move back, so that means there are two sides to this thing, regardless of what The Pats are doing.

But this year was different. Instead of holding still, or moving back, Blah Bill moved up on his first two picks!! What on earth??? Is Bill defying his own logic, and getting all lovey dovey with specific players.....which is not the cool and calm way to go. Did Bill have a new Organic coffee that afternoon, or did someone show him pics from the 60s.....all grooovy and such??

Whatever happened, also happened to quite a few others, especially in round one. Now we all know that the new rookie salary cap was a good thing, and it in turn had its impact on round one trades.....why not, no one wanted to dance with teams with top picks in the past......because you had to mortgage your life on the dang guaranteed money, so that some hot stud could take it easy for the rest of his life......without playing a down in the NFL.

But there were other teams that jumped up as well, including the always "fidgety" Cowboys and even the Eagles......who both went searching for their guy, albeit not too far for Reid and company.

Something tells me that if Claiborne and Cox and Belichick's new studs are successful this season.....next year's analysts will all be smoking from a different pipe......as in, get the guy you love, and don't worry about this so called value thing. Even our Broncos did some of that in my books.....they went after the guys on their board, and I believe Elway even said he may have lost some value trading down.

And in the end.......it's all good. Even Cheryl Crow knew the deal, "If it makes you happy......."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Remember folks.....the NFL is a copy cat league......
    Last edited by CanDB; 05-03-2012 at 05:48 PM.

Can, BB is the reason why I look at the whole draft, now. It was like looking at poetry in motion to see the way he would accumulate picks and the value he got. Personally, I liked the agression from Philly, Dallas, and the Patriots. Philly needed that inside pass rusher. Yes they have Cullen Jenkins, but IMO, they drafted Cox to replace him. Jenkins completed the first year of his 5yr contract (at the time) and they already re-structured his contract.

Dallas understood that they were a decent secondary away from being a playoff team. So I applaud them for trading up to get the best CB in this draft. I applaud BB for doing away with the 3-4 and going to the 4-3 to help improve the run defense last year. New England is going back to the 3-4 and they couldn't afford to let the players they wanted to get drafted by another team. I mean really, what good is it to accumulate all of those picks year after year to never use them in a way that would make a major impact on your team?

As far as the Broncos are concern, I told a buddy of mine at the draft dinner we had, that I really think the Broncos will be a team that always looks to trade back. We really try to run a tight ship financially, and it also seems like we believe in the value of a player. Which remind me of how BB usually draft. If the value isn't there, you trade back. Now, I didn't like the value we got trading back on draft day, but IMO, it could've been a strategic approach.

If we know that we're going to be one of those teams that will look to trade back, we want to make ourselves atleast approachable. Once again the value sucked, but if we can get teams to call us to see what it'd take to move up to our spot, then getting screwed on the value this year may be well worth it, as long as we don't keep accepting trades that puts us on the short end of the stick.

Quote Originally Posted by JayJack View Post
    Can, BB is the reason why I look at the whole draft, now. It was like looking at poetry in motion to see the way he would accumulate picks and the value he got. Personally, I liked the agression from Philly, Dallas, and the Patriots. Philly needed that inside pass rusher. Yes they have Cullen Jenkins, but IMO, they drafted Cox to replace him. Jenkins completed the first year of his 5yr contract (at the time) and they already re-structured his contract.

Dallas understood that they were a decent secondary away from being a playoff team. So I applaud them for trading up to get the best CB in this draft. I applaud BB for doing away with the 3-4 and going to the 4-3 to help improve the run defense last year. New England is going back to the 3-4 and they couldn't afford to let the players they wanted to get drafted by another team. I mean really, what good is it to accumulate all of those picks year after year to never use them in a way that would make a major impact on your team?

As far as the Broncos are concern, I told a buddy of mine at the draft dinner we had, that I really think the Broncos will be a team that always looks to trade back. We really try to run a tight ship financially, and it also seems like we believe in the value of a player. Which remind me of how BB usually draft. If the value isn't there, you trade back. Now, I didn't like the value we got trading back on draft day, but IMO, it could've been a strategic approach.

If we know that we're going to be one of those teams that will look to trade back, we want to make ourselves atleast approachable. Once again the value sucked, but if we can get teams to call us to see what it'd take to move up to our spot, then getting screwed on the value this year may be well worth it, as long as we don't keep accepting trades that puts us on the short end of the stick.
    I like this post!

Teams do a lot of trading now because of the rookie wage scale.

In NE's case they couldn't afford to trade down this year IMO because that D was so awful. Chandler Jones was a decent pick, they needed a pass rusher and there were many available in this draft, We will see how they all turn out.

Hightower made sense, they were lucky DeCastro fell to Pitts or he would of been gone IMO.

People have to remember that many teams were trying to trade down, if we made the price too steep we might not of had any suitors. I was happy to pick up a high 4th, which turned into Bolden, and the player we originally wanted.

Mayock said today on Eisens podcast that teams don't follow the trade value chart anymore

As far as the Broncos drafting since this current FO has been together, It has been a mixture of value gambles and production picks. I would look for more of that in the future. They value gambles they pick (irving, moore, bolden) all coming off injuries in college with higher talent levels than the rounds they were picked in. The production players they picked (Wolfe, Miller, Carter, Hilman, Blake, Treevathan, Jackson) were the most productive players on the board at their positions at the time they were picked. Then their was Osweiller, their lone POTENTIAL pick in the draft in the last two years. Wether we look to trade up or back, I would expect the Broncos front office to either take the most productive player or a "value gamble" on a player coming off injury. What they do not seem to put a ton of stock in is the combine, player competition level, or what the draftniks think. People looking to mock next years draft might want to keep these points in mind.

Interesting feedback folks......food for thought!