View Poll Results: What is your stance on injuries in contact sports?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • I will not put my children in contact sport for the fear of significant injury.

9 18.75%
  • I have weighed the risk of injury and it isn't significant enough to deter my childrens involvment.

32 66.67%
  • I don't really care either way.

7 14.58%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Injuries and Sports

For those of you with children or involved in contact sports yourselves, this question is for you.

Parents: Being aware of the injury risk in contact sports, do you/will you shy away from putting your children contact sports?

Individuals: Being aware of said injuries, do you shy away from contact sports due to injury concerns?

The reason I ask this is because of all the concern lately of head injuries and the future of contact sports. Concussions are the hot topic as of late, and impead on the progression and exsistence of said sports.

Being a parent of 2 young children, I will not shy away from putting my kids in contact sports. These activities are great for children. I will not blame anyone for avoiding the risk of injury to thier children either. What is everyones thought on their kids or future children being involved in contact sports?
    Jacksonville Jaguars Broncomania GM:

I don't have kids, but no. I will not shy away from the fact of having my future children play in contact sports.

My parents made me play soccer instead of football, and unless something drastic changes in the college/NFL game I plan on doing the same. Anything over high school is just not worth the risk IMO, and high school is cutting it close for me - I might not even allow that.
    Last edited by berlownacyo7s; 05-03-2012 at 02:58 PM.

As an individual, I have weighed the risk for every sport I played. I played a lot. Football for 12yrs, wrestling 3yrs, mix martial arts 1yr 1/2.

For each I weighed the risk, knowing them each time I participate in a action involving them.
    I've been luck to never have a serious injury or soreness. So I guess that is a reason why I don't shy aware from contact. Growing up I liked getting hit on the field. Don't know why, even in back yard football, I wanted to get hit.

Injuries happen, some are lucky enough to not get them, some are unlucky and are made of glass.

You can't really solve the head injury issue, at least not with today's tech. You can try in minimize them, but they will still happen.

I don't have a kid, but if I did I'd weigh the risk with his/her mother, try and get a joint agreement if our child wants to play sports....There's always badminton.

Adopted Broncos:
    EmmanuelSanders

I voted I don't care either way, because sports are going to have injuries regardless like anything else in the world. Even as a parent I will let my kid experience all sports if he wants and if he really enjoys football, why would I stop him from playing it. Even with the risk there are risk every where. I wouldn't stop my kid from doing anything he wanted as long as he himself weighed the risk.

You can get suffer an injury doing just about anything. Growing up I had a blast playing sports and it teaches you a lot of valuable lessons. I wouldn't dare dream of taking that away from my future children.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Orange"]
    MILE HIGH MAGIC HAPPENS IN ORANGE![/COLOR]
    [COLOR="DarkOrange"]2011 Adopt a Bronco: The Beast off the Bench Adam Weber!!![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Jay3;3909374]Yes. For two Super Bowls I would be willing to carpet bomb Canada.[/QUOTE]

I'm not concerned at all. As others have said, injuries happen. You never want it to be your kid, but at the same time u can't let them live in a bubble either. Kids run a higher chance cracking their skull doing the stupid unorganized stuff that kids do than in organized football. Some of the things done on skateboards scares the heck outta me and getting them to wear a helmet past age 11 is a futile argument as it hits the ground as soon as they're outta sight. I just offer whatever advice to back up the coach. I stress mouth guard in wrestling, basketball, baseball, and field events just as much as football. Other than head and neck injuries, none even really cross my mind. Broken arms,legs ,ankles, fingers, etc.... Muscle, ligament, and tendon tears happen all the time, sometimes for no reason (My uncle tore his Achilles getting out of bed!), so no need to worry about those either. Just stress safe play and let them have fun!
    #swapping

If the kids are taught the proper fundamentals of football or any contact sport then there's nothing to worry about.

Yes freak injuries do happen I blew my knee out my junior year and couldnt play again. But that's just the risk of playing the sport you love.

If the kids are taught at an early age of the proper ways to tackle and protect themselves then everything will be fine while they continue those habits throughout their lives playing the sport. Back when Junior Seau played or anybody of that generation you wasn't really taught much it was more of a harder the hit the better and they used their heads a lot more and it coninuted throughout their playing career and more and more concussions happened as a result of that.

Football is taking strides to protect the players who play the game now to decrease the risk of head injuries and it's only going to continue to get better and safer to play.

I said no as a mom. Sports that risk broken limbs or torn this or that I wouldn't shy away from. But, anything with high risk to the head or neck I would try to prevent my kids from playing if I could or at least no encourage it.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post
    As an individual, I have weighed the risk for every sport I played. I played a lot. Football for 12yrs, wrestling 3yrs, mix martial arts 1yr 1/2.

For each I weighed the risk, knowing them each time I participate in a action involving them.
    I've been luck to never have a serious injury or soreness. So I guess that is a reason why I don't shy aware from contact. Growing up I liked getting hit on the field. Don't know why, even in back yard football, I wanted to get hit.

Injuries happen, some are lucky enough to not get them, some are unlucky and are made of glass.

You can't really solve the head injury issue, at least not with today's tech. You can try in minimize them, but they will still happen.

I don't have a kid, but if I did I'd weigh the risk with his/her mother, try and get a joint agreement if our child wants to play sports....There's always badminton.
    Wow. I had no idea we had so much in common. I played college football, wrestled in high school, and was in MMA for 5 years or so.
    I'd draw a line in the sand and I'd die to keep someone from crossing that line. That's how I played. It wasn't a game. It was life. It was death. I didn't die and I didn't kill anyone. Not that I didn't try. But my body shows the wear of sacrificing to stop someone from crossing that line. When I was in MMA, I knocked a few people out. I didn't like it as much as wearing someone down and beating them mentally. Everyone gets knocked out in MMA at some point. Anyone can do it to anyone. But when you wear them down mentally and physically? That's it right there. You own them.

Here's what I've learned. I'm older. I don't burn as hot. Now I can look at it objectively and it's utterly stupid. I devoted my life to stupid things. I have a daughter now. She's only 15 months, but she's athletic. She's already running, I mean she has a running stride, she's not clumsy, she climbs everything, she's very coordinated. It's amazing.

Here's what I'm going to say to my daughter after devoting my life to stupid things: Take up golf. You can get everything I got accomplished with a Golf scholarship and be more relaxed doing it.

If she looks at me like I'm from space, that's okay. If she still wants to play volleyball, basketball, and get into MMA. Fine. I'm not going to be able to talk her out of it. But, I will give her a look every time she gets a sprained ankle or her wrist dislocates, or her shoulder. That looks going to say that there's a better way.

Should have added one more poll selection

Let kids do what they have passion for.

At a young age you can steer them in a very general direction but as the years pass they will find themselves and it's important to let nature take it's course imo
    Red 98

Kareem rises to the top

If my children were passionate about contact sports, I would not discourage them in any way. I would be happy they found something meaningful to occupy their time rather than sit and do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy8 View Post
    Wow. I had no idea we had so much in common. I played college football, wrestled in high school, and was in MMA for 5 years or so.
    I'd draw a line in the sand and I'd die to keep someone from crossing that line. That's how I played. It wasn't a game. It was life. It was death. I didn't die and I didn't kill anyone. Not that I didn't try. But my body shows the wear of sacrificing to stop someone from crossing that line. When I was in MMA, I knocked a few people out. I didn't like it as much as wearing someone down and beating them mentally. Everyone gets knocked out in MMA at some point. Anyone can do it to anyone. But when you wear them down mentally and physically? That's it right there. You own them.

Here's what I've learned. I'm older. I don't burn as hot. Now I can look at it objectively and it's utterly stupid. I devoted my life to stupid things. I have a daughter now. She's only 15 months, but she's athletic. She's already running, I mean she has a running stride, she's not clumsy, she climbs everything, she's very coordinated. It's amazing.

Here's what I'm going to say to my daughter after devoting my life to stupid things: Take up golf. You can get everything I got accomplished with a Golf scholarship and be more relaxed doing it.

If she looks at me like I'm from space, that's okay. If she still wants to play volleyball, basketball, and get into MMA. Fine. I'm not going to be able to talk her out of it. But, I will give her a look every time she gets a sprained ankle or her wrist dislocates, or her shoulder. That looks going to say that there's a better way.
    I'm only 20, so I still got a bit left in the tank. I understand what you're saying, me personally I'm a submission artist.
    Nothing like using my wrestling skill to own a guy on the mat, then make him tap. To me it's like losing pride to tap out. Knock outs happen, a rookie can knock out a 15yr vet. It's all about catching them when it comes to knock outs, sometimes pummeling. But the thing about pummeling is if your opponent is strong and can take a few hits, you'll just gas out.

I feel you when you lay the option for your daughter. If she choose a sport opposite from what you prefer, you don't mind.
    Some parents would force their kid to play a sport.

Adopted Broncos:
    EmmanuelSanders

I grew up playing both baseball and soccer, and I played some baseball in high school too. I didn't get playing time, but I still had plenty of reps in practice and I still do play for fun with friends.

Gladly, I never got hurt. When/if I become a parent, I am willing to let my kid play any non-contact sport. I don't think I will have the money to pay for someone who tore their ACL.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco51 View Post
    If my children were passionate about contact sports, I would not discourage them in any way. I would be happy they found something meaningful to occupy their time rather than sit and do nothing.
    That's my take on it too. If my kids want to play, I won't talk them out of it, but I'm going to encourage things like golf, track, and MMA isn't so bad at a lesser level. I think something like Krav Maga might be better than MMA, but I can see how MMA can round out any martial art.