• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JW7
    Captain
    • Apr 2009

Poe vs Wolfe

This question was brought up yesterday on Bill Williamson's weekly chat on espn.com. He wrote how he thought Poe was the better prospect.

I don't get why Poe is considered the better prospect. This is the problem that I have with the combine. Guys like Poe who disappeared in conference USA games are viewed as better prospects than someone who dominated in a tougher conference.

I think when you look at the two players talk you can tell who wants it more. You can have all the measurables in the world but that doesn't mean anything when the game is played. Poe gives up on plays, Wolfe has a constant motor.

What do you all think. Would you trade Wolfe for Poe?
    sigpic
  • bronx_2003
    Banned User
    • Oct 2003

He is a boom or bust prospect and some people will love him, some won't (like marmite lol).

I have never been a fan of his. He played for Memphis against below average competition and did not look very good. I don't think such a project should go in the first, let alone 11 overall with so many good, productive players still on the board

Comment

• Pruke
      Hall of Famer
      • Apr 2007

Poe's potential to be great is higher than Wolfe's in my opinion. Wolfe's potential to be a starter in this league for 10 years is higher in my opinion.
      Hate List for 2016-2017 Season: 1. Oakland, 2. New England, 3. Kansas City, 4. Pittsburgh and 5. Houston (yes, Houston....)

Comment

• bronx_2003
        Banned User
        • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Pruke View Post
        Poe's potential to be great is higher than Wolfe's in my opinion. Wolfe's potential to be a starter in this league for 10 years is higher in my opinion.
        I even think thats a bit of a myth. Phil Taylor had similar size and quickness at the combine, and got over-drafted, but he's not really impressed with the Browns and now he's injured. Even with one season wonders there's SOMETHING that shows they can perform.

I think he can be a decent NT in a 3-4, I don't see much pass rushing potential. For Denver they are looking for a different player, someone who can help Doom and Miller and provide a pass rushing presence from the inside.

Comment

• JW7
          Captain
          • Apr 2009

I love how the most viewed highlight video of Poe is mostly him doing drills.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

The three plays they show. One he makes a sack, two he loses his helmet needing three other players to make the tackle, three he is showed running a player out of bounds without making contact. The guy was an all second team selection the conference USA.

On the other hand, Wolfe's highlight tape show him dominating the point of attack and viciously hitting players.

Highlights of Derek Wolfe, DT, during the 2011 UC Bearcats season. Wolfe was named 2011 Big East co-defensive player of the year.

I know they are just highlights but he reminds me of Jared Allen. Time will tell but I believe we got a steal in Wolfe.
          sigpic

Comment

• Cugel
            Rantosaurus Rex!
            • Mar 2004

Alfred Williams was just laughing at the Chiefs for taking Poe with the #11 pick. He was shouting over the radio "the tape don't lie!" Meaning that Poe never showed up in games.

That is one school of thought on the NFL. The other is that it's hard to judge how good a professional a player will become just based on what he did at 18 or 19 years old. Some guys just mature late.

And some never realize their "potential." Remember that Amobe Akoye was the #10 pick of the draft a few years ago. He was very young but teams were amazed by his "potential."

Only he never reached it and was cut by the Texans this off-season. Totally BUSTED pick.

So, if you are looking in your crystal ball and taking a guy who's never done anything in college in the first round that's taking a BIG chance. He might pan out and be great.

He might also do nothing.
            sigpic

Comment

• bronx_2003
              Banned User
              • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Cugel View Post
              Alfred Williams was just laughing at the Chiefs for taking Poe with the #11 pick. He was shouting over the radio "the tape don't lie!" Meaning that Poe never showed up in games.

That is one school of thought on the NFL. The other is that it's hard to judge how good a professional a player will become just based on what he did at 18 or 19 years old. Some guys just mature late.

And some never realize their "potential." Remember that Amobe Akoye was the #10 pick of the draft a few years ago. He was very young but teams were amazed by his "potential."

Only he never reached it and was cut by the Texans this off-season. Totally BUSTED pick.

So, if you are looking in your crystal ball and taking a guy who's never done anything in college in the first round that's taking a BIG chance. He might pan out and be great.

He might also do nothing.
              I don't hate taking someone on potential, I just think 11 is way too high to do that, especially when you have some really good players available like Ingram, Coples and Floyd.

It would be interesting if you listed the top 10 at each position and then see how many, if any, had such average stats in college (apart from Brady who didn't play much)

Comment

• Cugel
                Rantosaurus Rex!
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
                I don't hate taking someone on potential, I just think 11 is way too high to do that, especially when you have some really good players available like Ingram, Coples and Floyd.

It would be interesting if you listed the top 10 at each position and then see how many, if any, had such average stats in college (apart from Brady who didn't play much)
                The knock against Poe is that he wasn't "average" in college. He was largely invisible. Then he came in and blew up the combine and had an unbelievable workout.

So, you have to wonder, where was this guy during his entire college career?

I have no idea what he will accomplish. The Broncos were seriously considering taking him if he fell to #25. But, both Brockers and Poe were gone by #14. Then they wanted G David DeCastro, but he was grabbed by the Steelers at #24.

So, with their top 3 guys off the board they traded back. I'm a lot less nervous about Derek Wolfe.

#1 -- they only used a 2nd round pick to get him, not #25.
                #2 -- he didn't take plays off in college. He has a high motor and never quits on plays. Good work ethic.

He might have a lower potential "ceiling" than Poe, but is less of a bust-factor.
                sigpic

Comment

• JW7
                  Captain
                  • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Cugel View Post
                  The knock against Poe is that he wasn't "average" in college. He was largely invisible. Then he came in and blew up the combine and had an unbelievable workout.

So, you have to wonder, where was this guy during his entire college career?

I have no idea what he will accomplish. The Broncos were seriously considering taking him if he fell to #25. But, both Brockers and Poe were gone by #14. Then they wanted G David DeCastro, but he was grabbed by the Steelers at #24.

So, with their top 3 guys off the board they traded back. I'm a lot less nervous about Derek Wolfe.

#1 -- they only used a 2nd round pick to get him, not #25.
                  #2 -- he didn't take plays off in college. He has a high motor and never quits on plays. Good work ethic.

He might have a lower potential "ceiling" than Poe, but is less of a bust-factor.
                  I'm just curious, where did you get this information?

It was my understanding that Elway wanted to trade down and gather more picks before the draft began. It could be possible that Wolfe was the teams target.
                  Last edited by JW7; 05-18-2012, 12:11 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

• AdamWeberOrBust
                    Special Teams
                    • Mar 2012

I'd rather get a proven college player than someone who can lift a few weights.

Tape>>>>>>Workouts any day.

Plus we needed a pass-rushing DT and we got the best producer of sacks at that position in the draft.
                    All in for Siemian!

Comment

• Oilersfan34
                      Practice Squad
                      • Jan 2012

I would take Edgar Allen Poe over Virginia Woolf any day of the week.
                      Family, country, rugby, football

I posted in the epic Peyton's NeckBones thread and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt!

Comment

• beastlyskronk
                        Football Immortal
                        • Jun 2007

Originally posted by JW7 View Post
                        I'm just curious, where did you get this information?

It was my understanding that Elway wanted to trade down and gather more picks before the draft began. It could be possible that Wolfe was the teams target.
                        Elway stated this in an interview after day one.

But I think a lot of people are going to be surprised by Poe's performance. As a 3-4 NT he will be terrific. People want to say he won't do good because of his lack of production in college but he's a 350 lb. NT with short arms. He's not going to disengage from blocks well to get pressure on the QB. Not to mention that his sheer strength and ability to push the pile was negated by the spread offense and most QBs being in the shotgun and getting rid of the ball quickly. He's going to have a much better NFL career than he did in college. This was a calculated risk by the Chiefs and I actually think they'll get rewarded by it.

Comment

• JW7
                          Captain
                          • Apr 2009

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                          Elway stated this in an interview after day one.

But I think a lot of people are going to be surprised by Poe's performance. As a 3-4 NT he will be terrific. People want to say he won't do good because of his lack of production in college but he's a 350 lb. NT with short arms. He's not going to disengage from blocks well to get pressure on the QB. Not to mention that his sheer strength and ability to push the pile was negated by the spread offense and most QBs being in the shotgun and getting rid of the ball quickly. He's going to have a much better NFL career than he did in college. This was a calculated risk by the Chiefs and I actually think they'll get rewarded by it.
                          He wasn't terrific playing in the Conference USA. What makes you think he is going to be terrific playing in the NFL? I don't buy your theory of spread option QB's in college. NFL qb's have quicker releases. When it comes down to it he didn't show up on film or look dominant against weak competition. He reminds me a lot of the hype Dwayne Robertson received. Same body type and work out warrior.

I think it's laughable when you watch tape and compare Wolfe to Poe. I believe Wolfe will have a much better NFL career and Poe will be with a different team in four and out of the league in six.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Yakka27
                            Special Teams
                            • Feb 2012

Who cares how fast a DT can run a 40 yard sprint.

Comment

• CoryWinget81
                              five thousand, 800 and uh
                              • Dec 2006

They both played crappy competition but at least Wolfe dominated the crappy competition.
                              sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Working...
                              X