David Stern asks Jim Rome if he's stopped beating his wife yet

The Jim Rome Show turned awkward today as NBA commissioner David Stern lashed out at the show's host for asking whether the league's draft lottery was fixed, asking at one point "Have you stopped beating your wife yet?"

It was a marked difference from the pair's usual collegial attitude displayed on Stern's regular appearances on the program.

Stern and Rome debated the legitimacy of the question for several minutes in a heated exchange before Stern said "I have to go call someone important now. Stephen A. Smith is up next." Obviously Stern's referring to the loaded question fallacy and not actually implying Rome is a domestic abuser, but would Rome's audience get the philosophy class reference? It wasn't a loaded question to begin with, after all; that would be "When did the NBA start rigging the draft lottery?"

http://deadspin.com/5918141/david-st...ew-turned-ugly

Hooray, beer!

Too bad Rome couldn't have asked about his embarrassingly pathetic referring crew that botches nearly every call...purposely or accidentally, watching the NBA has become such an annoyance with the level of poor referring.

Thanks Freyaka for the Sig! And Avatar!

David Stern was getting jealous of Gary Bettman being referred the as the worst commish in pro sports so he had to up the anty.

Well if Stern ever needs backup, Jim Everett is always available.

Adopted Broncos:
    EmmanuelSanders

Quote Originally Posted by Remedy View Post
    David Stern was getting jealous of Gary Bettman being referred the as the worst commish in pro sports so he had to up the anty.
    thats awesome!

But I don't think Stern will ever reach the level of Bettman lol

I can.t wait for the David Stern era to end.

Adopted Posters - Broncoholic MS, thatkidhunt, Al Wilson 4 Mayor, Thors Hammer, McSmashie, CanDB, Peanut, BroncoManiac_69, MightyHorse, CHARGER$, Chillez, EddieMac
    Married Megan Joy on August 18th, 2013
    Proud Daddy of Jeremiah James born February 24, 2011

Adopt-A-Bronco 2013 - Champ Bailey
    Yankees, Rockies, Nuggets, Avalanche, CU Buffs
    I still miss you Jake Plummer!

That actually made me laugh. Pretty funny to hear Stern get a lil fiesty like that. But I agree with others. I cant wait until his era is over

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/80...me-get-lottery

NBA commissioner David Stern got into a heated exchange with Jim Rome Wednesday when the radio host asked him if the Hornets winning the draft lottery was fixed.

"I know that you appreciate a good conspiracy theory as much as the next guy, was the fix in for the lottery?" asked Rome, who hosts a daily show on CBS Sports Network.

"I have two answers for that," Stern said. "The simple easy one, no, the second, a statement, shame on you for asking."

Rome went on to say that he thought it was his job to ask because people wonder.

"No, it's ridiculous, but that's OK," Stern said.

Rome, who used to host the show "Jim Rome is Burning" on ESPN, said he didn't think the question was ridiculous.

Stern responded: "Have you stopped beating your wife yet?"

Since Rome has no history of spousal abuse, it appears that the commissioner was using a traditional loaded question as a tool to make his point -- that the question itself, in this case about the lottery, presumes guilt.

Rome responded: "I don't think that's fair."

After a little more back and forth, Rome said he hoped Stern wouldn't hold the question against him.

"I wouldn't hold it against you," Stern said. "You and I have been in more contentious talks than that. But it's good copy. You do these things for cheap thrills."

Rome took offense to that statement, and Stern changed his characterization.

"Cheap trick," he said. "You've been successful in making a career of it, and I keep coming on."

That prompted a flurry of exchanges:

Rome: "Making a career of it? Making a career of what? What? Cheap thrills?"

Stern: "Now you're getting mad. You're taking on the world and now Jim Rome is pouting."

Rome: "I'm not pouting, I'm taking offense."

Stern: "You want to hang up on me?"

Rome: "No, I'm seriously running out of time."

Stern: "Listen, I gotta go call somebody important like Stephen A. Smith back. He's next."

Rome: "OK, you go make that call and I'll go talk to somebody else too I guess. Have a nice day. I did not hang up on him, we are officially out of time."

ESPN is in some serious need of some new faces ... The people they have talking sports are beyond stale ... Rome,Stephen A,The professor ,Woody ...

Stern is a joke. When the leader of your league acts like a child in interviews, it's telling enough.

@BlueNOrangeFTW

David Stern is turning into the Vince McMahon of commissioners. I love the game of basketball, I think it takes incredible talent and its truly a game where players are very easy to love/hate based on their personalities because theres only 10 players on a court at a time. That being said, the NBA is so close to becoming the WWE its ridiculous. How can you tell me the lottery wasn't rigged? The Cavs (who are my team btw) won the lottery last year after LBJ left town. The Hornets win this year after CP3 leaves? I'm not buying that it isn't fixed. Plus you can tell in some of these games with the horrible calls how Stern wants things to turn out. The NBA is rigged.
    "Something special is about to go down and I want to be a part of it." - FJ

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzmagic View Post
    David Stern is turning into the Vince McMahon of commissioners. I love the game of basketball, I think it takes incredible talent and its truly a game where players are very easy to love/hate based on their personalities because theres only 10 players on a court at a time. That being said, the NBA is so close to becoming the WWE its ridiculous. How can you tell me the lottery wasn't rigged? The Cavs (who are my team btw) won the lottery last year after LBJ left town. The Hornets win this year after CP3 leaves? I'm not buying that it isn't fixed. Plus you can tell in some of these games with the horrible calls how Stern wants things to turn out. The NBA is rigged.
    So all the reporters that go and sit in to watch the lottery that swear up and down there's no way it could have been rigged are just bought out? Despite the fact that they could get a boat load of attention and cred if they broke that story?

Quote Originally Posted by LarryDean View Post
    ESPN is in some serious need of some new faces ... The people they have talking sports are beyond stale ... Rome,Stephen A,The professor ,Woody ...
    Absolutely agree
    Come On You Blues! GO BRONCOS!