Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Dan Reeves All-Star Team

And now, a career all-star team for the coach who lost the most games in NFL history.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/ram...eves-all-stars

"SKILL PLAYERS"
    QB: John Elway, 1987 Broncos
    RB: Jamal Anderson, 1998 Falcons
    FB: Bob Christian, 1998 Falcons
    WR: Steve Watson, 1981 Broncos
    WR: Terance Mathis, 1998 Falcons
    TE: Shannon Sharpe, 1991 Broncos

OFFENSIVE LINE
    LT: Jumbo Elliott, 1993 Giants
    LG: Keith Bishop, 1987 Broncos
    C: Bart Oates, 1993 Giants
    RG: Gene Williams, 1998 Falcons
    RT: Ken Lanier, 1988 Broncos

FRONT SEVEN
    DE: Rulon Jones, 1986 Broncos
    NT: Greg Kragen, 1991 Broncos
    DE: Chuck Smith, 1998 Falcons
    OLB: Bob Swenson, 1980 Broncos
    ILB: Karl Mecklenburg, 1985 Broncos
    ILB: Randy Gradishar, 1981 Broncos
    OLB: Simon Fletcher, 1992 Broncos

SECONDARY
    CB: Louis Wright, 1984 Broncos
    CB: Mark Collins, 1993 Giants
    FS: Steve Atwater, 1991 Broncos
    SS: Dennis Smith, 1989 Broncos

SPECIAL TEAMS
    K: Rich Karlis, 1983 Broncos
    P: Chris Mohr, 2002 Falcons
    RET: Vance Johnson, 1985 Broncos

Good article.

Hooray, beer!

I don't like the way you said he lost the most games in the history of the NFL. You make it seem like he was bad coach. You failed to mention he is also 8th in wins, and 5th in number of games coached. He also went to 4 superbowls.

Reeves lost 165 games, Don Shula lost 156.

Dan Reeves was a very very good football coach.

What???

Chris Chandler didn't get the nod!?!?!?

I keed, I keed....

ELWAY!!

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    I don't like the way you said he lost the most games in the history of the NFL. You make it seem like he was bad coach. You failed to mention he is also 8th in wins, and 5th in number of games coached. He also went to 4 superbowls.

I didn't write the article. It IS a fact that he's lost more games than any other HC in the NFL, though.

FWIW, I like Dan Reeves. I like listening to him on broadcasts. His football knowledge is amazing.

Hooray, beer!

Quote Originally Posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
    I didn't write the article. It IS a fact that he's lost more games than any other HC in the NFL, though.

FWIW, I like Dan Reeves. I like listening to him on broadcasts. His football knowledge is amazing.
    I think it would be safe to say he is one of the worst if not worst head coaches in Super bowl history though.

What? 4 trips 4 blowout losses?

I think Marv Levy is the only other coach to lose 4 super bowls and they weren't all as embarrassing as Dan Reeves were.

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    I think it would be safe to say he is one of the worst if not worst head coaches in Super bowl history though.

I think Marv Levy is the only other coach to lose 4 super bowls and they weren't all as embarrassing as Dan Reeves were.
    marv should have been 1-3. well, a L is a L.

First off Dan Reeves was a good coach, Elway gave him props during Elway's HoF speach. Yea he failed in the big one but he won allot of games, won allot of division titles and won allot of Conf Championship games...pretty sure he would trade all of it for a Ring tho.

Second...man look at that defense!! Those Bronco defenders are why we went to so many playoffs in the 80s and 90s.
    All I want for Christmas is a Bronco QB controversy

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyAdam View Post
    marv should have been 1-3. well, a L is a L.
    Yeah that's why I didn't put him as bad as Reeves in the big one. He nearly pulled one off. Reeves never came close.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    First off Dan Reeves was a good coach, Elway gave him props during Elway's HoF speach. Yea he failed in the big one but he won allot of games, won allot of division titles and won allot of Conf Championship games...pretty sure he would trade all of it for a Ring tho.

Second...man look at that defense!! Those Bronco defenders are why we went to so many playoffs in the 80s and 90s.
    Yes I agree he was a good regular season coach. Just like Marty. I was only referring to his SB struggles.

The roster really is amazing and shows we should have way more HOF'ers than we do. However it also shows Reeves should've accomplished more than he did in the postseason. It's no surprise he won so much in the regular season with that kind of talent.

I always liked Dan but I admit I'm a little biased he's a family friend.

I like Dan Reeves. The only knock on him was his inability to find a big time RB to team with Elway. Sammy Winder was just servicable, Rod Bernstine adequate, Bobby Humphrey a flash in the pan, Tony Dorsett a broken down has been, Gerald Wilhite had no business playing in the NFL and then there were a whole host of role playing no-names.

Dan Reeves was a very good football coach. He was stubborn at times, but most head coaches are. Reeves was able to get a lot out of the players he had on his roster--from top to bottom. In my opinion, Dan Reeves' name belongs in the Denver Broncos Ring of Fame as does Simon Fletcher's, who Reeves coached.

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post

Marv Levy is in the HoF. How many coaches have made it to 4 SBs? 8. All of the rest are in the HoF except Belichick who will be one day. That puts Reeves in very good company. For the Record, Bud Grant also lost 4 SB. Those teams scored 7, 7, 6 and 14 points in their SB loses. Maybe Reeves was the worst SB coach, maybe he wasn't. He made it 4 times. That is impressive in my book. Only 48 coaches have made it to the SB in the history of the NFL and only 21 have made it more than once. Calling him the worst coach in SB history is pretty lame, imo.
    Last edited by broncos SB2010; 07-30-2012 at 11:38 PM.

Marv Levy is in the HoF. How many coaches have made it to 4 SBs? 8. All of the rest are in the HoF except Belichick who will be one day. That puts Reeves in very good company. For the Record, Bud Grant also lost 4 SB. Those teams scored 7, 7, 6 and 14 points in their SB loses. Maybe Reeves was the worst SB coach, maybe he wasn't. He made it 4 times. That is impressive in my book. Only 48 coaches have made it to the SB in the history of the NFL and only 21 have made it more than once. Calling him the worst coach in SB history is pretty lame, imo.

Slow down pal. I never said Dan Reeves was a bad coach. I acknowledged that he was a great regular season coach.

Just saying that his teams were an embarrassment in Super Bowls. It was a comment made about the discussion in the beginning of the thread about him being the coach in the NFL with the most losses in history.

And it's not lame to call him the worst coach in SB history when it's quite possibly the truth.

Bud Grant lost his 4 SB's by a combined 65 points. Dan Reeves lost his by a combined 110 including the biggest blowout in super bowl history.
    Last edited by DenverBlood; 07-31-2012 at 06:39 AM.

Pop Quiz: What Denver Bronco HC has the highest winning percentage?
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus