Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Many QBs late in their careers often did very little for their last team.

Many QBs changed teams late in their career and didn't do much for their last team.

Johnny Unitas (Chargers), Joe Namath (49ers), Joe Montana (Chiefs), Donavon McNabb (Redskins) to name a few. Will Peyton Manning join this group? Is he different? If so, how?

ಠ◡ಠ ⊙▃⊙ ಠ_ಠ ಠ~ಠ ಥ_ಥ
    He might not be different.

However, the team around him is better than those examples, especially the defense.

Will Peyton Manning join this group?
    NO

Is he different?
    YES

If so, how?
    He's Peyton Freakin Manning, that's how.

Seriously though, good question. I would point toward the situation, firstly. Denver was an elite QB away from post season dominance.

McNabb; BAD situation. Not the quality of QB that you would expect to become an instant leader.

Unitas; I don't know about him or what happened. I'll let people whom are knowledgeable about it respond.

Namath; Same. Dunno bout it.

Montana. He did rally them (Chiefs) into the play-offs, and if my memory serves me correct, lost in the waning seconds to Denver. He was a physically slight QB and NFL players/defenses were getting too fast and too strong for him to physically handle it. In short, he didn't have enough time.

Manning has several years to snag a Lombo for Denver.

Manning is tough as nails, one of the NFL's most epic ironmen (2nd all time).

Manning has the cerebral edge on all of them. Though Montana had great talent, he was a beneficiary of the West Coast system and a HoF coaching staff.

Manning IS the system.

Manning still has fire. Having already earned enough $$$ to purchase a small Country, he plays for the championship, not just a paycheck. Those old school guys you mentioned didn't knock back the sawbucks that starting QB's do today, even if you adjust for inflation. In short, they needed the money.

I'm sure I'll think of more but I'll let others field those reasons.
    Last edited by ruksak; 10-04-2012 at 05:10 PM.
    Rogue Colts Fan

Quote Originally Posted by theMileHighGuy View Post

However, the team around him is better than those examples, especially the defense.
    Come to think of it, Earl Morrall went to the Dolphins late in his career and was very successful when
    Bob Griese went down and he took over during that 17-0 season. Of couse, that was one heck of a team.

Nameth was never that good to begin with and with a bad wheel he was really innefective.
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    Nameth was never that good to begin with and with a bad wheel he was really innefective.
    He looked pretty good in Super Bowl III.

Quote Originally Posted by 344051 View Post
    208 yards 0 TD's isn't really all that great, even back then.

Quote Originally Posted by 344051 View Post
    You could do anything once. You could whoop a bear, once.
    Rogue Colts Fan

No love for Warner? He was darn near written off after being kicked to the curb for Bulger in STL.
    Rogue Colts Fan

IMO the offense around peyton in Denver isn't as good as what he had in indy most of the time. but you could argue the defense is better for sure.

people often forget that indy would crush teams often so it skewed their stats a lot when teams would get yards and points in garbage time.

indy had some good talent on defense as well.

ಠ◡ಠ ⊙▃⊙ ಠ_ಠ ಠ~ಠ ಥ_ಥ
    Quote Originally Posted by baphamet View Post
    IMO the offense around peyton in Denver isn't as good as what he had in indy most of the time. but you could argue the defense is better for sure.

people often forget that indy would crush teams often so it skewed their stats a lot when teams would get yards and points in garbage time.

No Indy's offense was certainly better. I was referring to the teams that Unitas, Namath, Mcnabb, etc. went to. All were significantly worse than the teams they came from.

I'm not certain that Denver's offense isn't better talent wise, but they haven't gelled for a decade or better.

Every player, team, coach, etc. is different.

At age 38, Montana got the Chiefs to the AFCCG in 1993. Unitas was 40 when he went to the Chargers who weren't competitive in 1973.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by baphamet View Post
    I'd be the first to support that argument.

This is true. Often leading by 2-3 scores early, we would retreat back into a deep cover-2 umbrella, sacrificing a great deal of yardage.

Much of that was a sort of illusion. Freeney, Mathis, Bethea and Sanders. Rarely did they all take the field at the same time and the other 7 guys were low-paid, under-valued, Polian-esque prototypes....i.e. Small, fast and undrafted.

Peyton Manning was our defenses best player. It certainly wasn't one of those deals where our offense held the ball so long it kept the defense fresh. Our defense benefited from early multiple score leads, which made our lack of talent less important than our team speed and scheme.
    Last edited by ruksak; 10-04-2012 at 05:47 PM.
    Rogue Colts Fan

No Indy's offense was certainly better. I was referring to the teams that Unitas, Namath, Mcnabb, etc. went to. All were significantly worse than the teams they came from.

I'm not certain that Denver's offense isn't better talent wise, but they haven't gelled for a decade or better.
    the Denver offense is still unproven, the jury is still out on how good they can be. but indy's receivers, TE, and when EJ was there, they were all pros and dominated.

i honestly think manning can be more successful than all the other QB's that were in the OP's list, other than maybe Montana. i see manning having similar success with the broncos as montana had with the chiefs.

get to the playoffs and maybe win a game or two. if manning did win a SB with the broncos he will be the undisputed GOAT in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Every player, team, coach, etc. is different.

At age 38, Montana got the Chiefs to the AFCCG in 1993. Unitas was 40 when he went to the Chargers who weren't competitive in 1973.
    You're correct KC lost to Buffalo in that game and to Indy's post,it was Denver that lost to KC in Denver in the last few seconds.That is still considered one of the best MNF games between 2 great QBs on rival teams.