View Poll Results: Is Peyton Manning the Greatest QB you have ever seen?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    68 59.13%
  • No.

    47 40.87%
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 274
  1. #136
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    9,526
    Quote Originally Posted by 9erEmpire View Post
    49ers didn't miss a beat because they had another hall of famer waiting, Steve Young.

    Cassell less games and they missed the playoffs.

    Dilfer, Williams, Rypien and Brad Johnson....well these guys are not considered greatest QB's of all time. You cannot bring up Dilfer because he won a ring to Montana.

    ...but you can bring up Manning vs Brady with rings because these two are Hall of Famers and all time greats at their position.
    I see you are missing my point. Teams do not just have HOF QB's sitting as backups waiting to take the reins. They have great teams to start with and when they make a switch from a Montana to a Young they do not miss a beat. Green Bay was the same way with Farve & Rogers. They had great teams built around these QB's and when they switched they did not miss a beat.

    These great teams helped inflate the stats for these QB's, plain and simple.

    Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
    2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
    2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

  2. #137
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Denver, Colorado, United States
    Posts
    21,840
    I got lambasted about two years ago, saying Manning was his own OC.

    heh.


    Anyway, there should be a "too soon to tell" option. If he wins a second ring with a second team, he's no doubt the greatest of all time.

    Hooray, beer!

  3. #138
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,372
    Peyton Manning is a fantastic QB. The GOAT? Not a chance.

    Elway played for 15 years. He went to 5 superbowls. Thats an average of leading the Broncos to a superbowl once every 3 years. EVERY 3 YEARS!!! Can you imagine what it would be like to cheer for a team whos in the superbowl once every 3 years, on average?

    Theres to many factors that come into play when choosing a GOAT at the QB position. But IMHO....Manning has to win at least 1 more SB to even be considered.

  4. #139
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    461
    Quote Originally Posted by famicommander View Post
    I'll still take Elway. He hauled some awful teams with awful coaching into the playoffs a lot of times. In my totally biased opinion no other quarterback did more with less... imagine if Elway had Bill Walsh and Jerry Rice instead of Dan Reeves and Mark Jackson? It wasn't until we got him some coaching and players (Shanahan, Sharpe, Smith, Eddie Mac, TD, that crazy awesome line) that he finally broke through and won the titles he deserved.

    But Manning isn't done yet, and by the looks of it he is actually getting better by the week. I am thinking he might just play all five years of his deal, and if he does that he will surely have captured every major career passing record (and hopefully notched at least one more Super Bowl).

    My top four is Elway, Manning, Montana, Brady. Put them in whatever order you want and I won't complain, but #7 tops my list until further notice.
    Sorry, can't imagine Elway with Walsh because Elway wasn't a very good drop back passer....he does most of his damage in shotgun formation like Peyton.

    Walsh wanted a guy that can actually drop back because WCO involved a lot of timing and synchronized with the QB's steps. Montana had the best footwork in history.

  5. #140
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,264
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
    Anyway, there should be a "too soon to tell" option. If he wins a second ring with a second team, he's no doubt the greatest of all time.
    .........This

  6. #141
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    West Coast, Denmark
    Posts
    8,488
    Quote Originally Posted by 18to88 View Post
    .........This
    I like your username. Hope to see more of that on the field.
    Adopted Poster
    AZ Snake Fan

  7. #142
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Eastern Seaboard
    Posts
    3,379
    I mentioned Favre,cause, he played a long time,but he owns the major stat records. Moon would have the best stats if he played his whole career in the NFL.

  8. #143
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    31,052
    Bart Starr functioned in a system consisting of few plays. I think the Packers had about 26 plays for Super Bowl II.

    Montana functioned in Bill Walsh's WCO where the first twenty plays were scripted and were called from the sideline afterward. Those plays are very verbose because they tell everyone where to line up, motion and which complimentary routes to run.

    Teams that used some Run & Shoot utilized a lot of choice routes in the passing attack which gave the quality of sandlot football at times.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  9. #144
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Westminster, CO
    Posts
    3,001
    Quote Originally Posted by Remedy View Post
    Elway or Montana I would say are the best QBs i've seen play...

    but that shouldnt take anything away from manning his name should be mentioned in the same breath as those two and a few other guys.
    This for sure. I would say Manning is in the top 5 but not the GOAT. It's actually quite hard to judge the GOAT because everyone's opinion on how you get that title are different. Montana had 4 rings...but Elway drug sub par teams to the big dance a couple of times then won B2B bowls. Marino on an all and all undertalented team broke every record in the book. Manning has the most MVP's but fewer rings and SB trips than all but Marino. I think it is a lot hard to answer the greatest QB of all time question than many think.

  10. #145
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    2,936
    The fact that you can mention Manning along with the rest of them says a lot. There are all different style QBs. Montana played within the system and Walsh was a very calculating coach while the wco was first being introduced to the NFL. Moreno might have had better stats if he had the weapons around him like Montana did. Elway made the plays as they were playing which is why he scrambled so much plus he had a rocket launcher for an arm. Defensive players were not used to the ball coming so fast. Manning is running the plays before the snap and he is probably the most accurate of all the passers. Manning is an on field chess master as he calculates all his moves ahead of time.

  11. #146
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    1,719
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddoliver View Post
    And Elway blew it in three Super Bowls. Brady still has three rings and some really good stats to join the list.
    Quote Originally Posted by PunchDrunk View Post
    He won 3 Super Bowls during the Spy Gate era, hasn't won anything since.

    Brady is a great qb (possibly the best of an era) but no one can craft an argument around the fact that they were cheating and had draft picks taken away, the coach got fined half a million dollars and the NFL burned the tapes so we'll never know what was on them. But there are clues, at the very end of the Super Bowl against the Eagles, in a very pivotal moment at the end of the game, Bill says "They don't know what they are doing."

    Not only that, while Montana has The Catch and Elway has The Drive, Brady has The Tuck Rule.
    BOOOOOOOOOM (needed 10 char)

  12. #147
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Derby, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    27,086
    Quote Originally Posted by jcdavey View Post
    elway was also better..... so is brady (no offense)
    I don't think Elway is better IMO (don't kill me fellow Broncos fans, Elway more talent around him IMO in his superbowl years) I think it's fairly even between him and Elway, I'd say they are closer to tied than one having an edge over the other. Brady is and always will be a system QB, New Englands system is 100% Plug and play and I think that Matt Cassel did a fantasic job of showing how vastly overated Tom Brady is. He'd still rank top 10 all time but I wouldn't put him a head of Peyton. I do not however think that Peyton is the Goat. I'd say that goes to Montana. So we agree at least on that point of contention.

    I think on Elway Vs Peyton the Jury is still out, I'd say it is even unless Peyton wins another SB in which case Manning gets the nod.

    Also I realize the same arguement I make against Brady could go against Montana as well....I don't have an arguement against that but growing up a chiefs fan (gross I know...) I saw a lot of Montana post-niners and he was still amazing IMO. I realize I was still young and impressionable at that point (I didn't become a Broncos fan until I was about 13 in 96) But I remember how well he played and I remember just how bad that team was around him (though they had a killer D!)
    Last edited by Freyaka; 10-18-2012 at 10:21 AM.


  13. #148
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Denver, Colorado, United States
    Posts
    21,840
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Elway more talent around him IMO in his superbowl years
    I hate this argument, and I disagree with it.

    Rod Smith - UDFA
    Ed McCaffery - Journeyman WR, on his 3rd team
    Terrell Davis - 6th round draft pick

    There were only two 1st round draft picks on that offense, and that was Elway and Zimm. Obviously, Sharpie is the exception to the rule. I think Elway made a group of decent players look great. I think it's down right offensive as a Broncos fan to say that he took "loaded" teams to the sb.

    Hooray, beer!

  14. #149
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    14,611
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
    I hate this argument, and I disagree with it.

    Rod Smith - UDFA
    Ed McCaffery - Journeyman WR, on his 3rd team
    Terrell Davis - 6th round draft pick

    There were only two 1st round draft picks on that offense, and that was Elway and Zimm. Obviously, Sharpie is the exception to the rule. I think Elway made a group of decent players look great. I think it's down right offensive as a Broncos fan to say that he took "loaded" teams to the sb.
    But using the round they were selected in isn't a great argument either.

    Tom Brady 6th round pick
    Foster UDFA
    Brandon Lloyd is a journeyman and he has some nice seasons

    But to win the big game you have to have a good team. Not 1 great player you need a good team. 1 good player could push that team over the hump but they have to be decent. Elway finally got that in the last two years. What round you were drafted in means nothing if they can play the game. Davis was a great back and would have continued to be great if he didn't get injured. Sharpe was another late round pick and he is in the HoF.

    Adopted Broncos:
    (2011-2013) Eric Decker
    (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
    (2019-Current) Drew Lock
    Adopted posters:
    Everyone

  15. #150
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Derby, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    27,086
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
    I hate this argument, and I disagree with it.

    Rod Smith - UDFA
    Ed McCaffery - Journeyman WR, on his 3rd team
    Terrell Davis - 6th round draft pick

    There were only two 1st round draft picks on that offense, and that was Elway and Zimm. Obviously, Sharpie is the exception to the rule. I think Elway made a group of decent players look great. I think it's down right offensive as a Broncos fan to say that he took "loaded" teams to the sb.
    That can be argued both ways for both QB's but it's the best arguement I have to support my stance of calling Elway and Manning even pending another superbowl from Manning.

    If we are looking soley at superbowls it's elway, Stats it's Manning I think both were more than just a "system QB" like Brady/Montana, hell Manning is the freaking system...OC/QB That's no small feat. I think the fact that Manning does as much as he does and gives so much to the team is part of what I say brings them even, give manning another ring (PLEASE!) and I'll give manning the nod for greatest Bronco of all time.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •