Influenced by Excellence: Demaryius Thomas

Awesome Scouting Profile on Demaryius Thomas from the 2011-2012 seasons; I'd post the entire thing but there are too many pictures and the text without the pictures is a bit pointless.

Check it out here:

http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2012/12/04...aryius-thomas/

A little snip:
    By Nathan Miller

Twelve games into the 2012 season, the Denver Broncos appear to be a more legitimate contender than a year ago. By record, they are two wins improved. By observation, it appears to be much more. They are division champions, and clicking on a Manning-led offense that is significantly different in style and substance.

It has come as no surprise that the offense under Manning has developed in record time. Wide receiver Demaryius Thomas has demonstrated noted improvement. The third-year Bronco told the media during the offseason that he needed to learn the rest of the route tree. With Manning at the helm, this was not a goal as much as it was a demand. Thomas has responded as such and his improvement has been tremendous. He is easily having the best year of his young career.

In terms of the popular, but overstated, third-year theory for receiver development, Thomas is chronologically behind the curve. His first two years of development time were spent in an environment of constant change, and he was battling back from a career-threatening injury. This analysis highlights the difference in Thomas’ route skills between last year and this year.

@BlueNOrangeFTW

great article, very informative. the explanation of the intricacies of route-running was masterful. thanks for posting!

Great article!

One thing to note about Thomas is that 2012 was his first year with a full training camp. Both 2010 and 2011 were almost completely wiped out with injury. Considering Thomas' background from a triple option system with only a handful of routes, I can't help but be impressed with the guy - he's worked his way into the upper echelon of WRs in just under three years (and injury marred ones at that) whilst also coming back from a potentially career-ending injury. Yeah, Manning is one of the best at coaching up his receivers, but DT has put in the requisite work too. Looking forward to a long career of domination in orange and blue.

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

I was watching Pierre Garcon last night and thinking about this. Peyton's influence over receivers is extraordinarry. RGIII has probably inherited a tertiary gift from Peyton in that what PFM taught Pierre Garcon has trickled down to him. The same might be said for Andrew Luck and Reggie Wayne. If you watch their route running, its precise, smooth, and has the PFM fingerprints all over it.

I was going to post some stats yesterday, but since the Minnesota game last year (his breakout, IMO), and if you count the playoffs, he's been one of the league's top 5...if not top 3...receivers.

He also has more 30+ yard players than any other receiver over that span.

I found another neat stat over on profootball focus.

After a day in which he secured 99 yards and two touchdowns, Manning now has passer rating of 131.2 when throwing at Demaryius Thomas

Adopted Broncos:
    (2011-2013) Eric Decker
    (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
    (2019-Current) Drew Lock
    Adopted posters:
    Everyone

Quote Originally Posted by #87Birdman View Post
    I found another neat stat over (on profootball focus.
    Maybe its time some people admit DT's ability to make plays helps Manning. Some have suggested DT wouldn't be very good without Manning.

DT stated before the season started, that he never had to run routes. Considering who he had throwing him the ball for his first two years, that is easy to believe. In steps Peyton Manning, a very demanding QB. Peyton demands a lot of himself and he demands his receivers run precise routes. Not only are they precise, but each step and cut must be made at the proper time. In short Peyton expects the intended receiver to be separated from the defender and on a certain point of the field when the ball comes out of the air. Thomas has stepped up big as he and Peyton have formed one of the top QB/ Receivers combos in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by #87Birdman View Post
    I found another neat stat over on profootball focus.
    some other stats about Thomas

According to ESPN, he is currently:

- 10th in NFL in REC (69)
    - 10th in NFL in 1st downs (45)
    - 4th in NFL in YDS (1,114)
    - 4th in NFL in TD (8)
    - 4th in NFL in REC YPG (92.8)
    - 4th in NFL in YAC (414)

crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by flyoverstates View Post
    some other stats about Thomas

According to ESPN, he is currently:

- 10th in NFL in REC (69)
    - 10th in NFL in 1st downs (45)
    - 4th in NFL in YDS (1,114)
    - 4th in NFL in TD (8)
    - 4th in NFL in REC YPG (92.8)
    - 4th in NFL in YAC (414)

crazy.
    Idk the exact numbers but I know he's #2 behind Megatron for 20+ yard plays and #1 for 40+

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Maybe its time some people admit DT's ability to make plays helps Manning. Some have suggested DT wouldn't be very good without Manning.
    Have herd that too and it is crazy.

Once he got healthy in 2011 he was having a good year with Tebow. I like Tebow but even his biggest fan would admit he is not the best thrower if he is sane.

Personally I think Decker and DT are big reasons PM choose Denver over teams like SF and Tenn.
    Champ Bailey is the only player in NFL history to earn 200+ (203) Passes Defended
    Terrell Davis is 3rd all time in rushing yards per game (97.5)

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    This is the first year Demaryius Thomas has played and started in all of the games. The first game he was in last year was week seven, I think.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Great article.....Thanks for sharing!

DT is a freak of nature. He is big and muscular, and fast. His game continues to improve, and the sky's the limit. I believe Peyton is anxious to get the ball to him as much as he can, because of his size and skill, and how he can dominate and punish dbacks.

He reminds me of Marshall to some degree, except for the "other" stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    This is the first year Demaryius Thomas has played and started in all of the games. The first game he was in last year was week seven, I think.

I'm referring to the criticism he has faced. Last year he led the league in yards the last 5 weeks of the season and in the playoffs and people brushed it off saying it was only a result of playing "yard ball" with Tebow.

Then this year some suggested Manning was making his receivers look better than they were. I have maintained that Thomas is a receiver with an elite skill set.

Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!