26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chill

1 3.85%
  • Kill

21 80.77%
  • Both

4 15.38%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Playoffs in hand. Now "Chill, Kill or both?

After earning a spot in the playoffs, (and at least one home game assured) the Broncos have some options. Even with four games left, I doubt we see any complacency in a Manning led team.

Obviously, a good chance at the second seed is huge! However, now you are no longer playing for you playoff lives.

Elway's Broncos where only the second Wild Card team in history to win a Super Bowl. So ... what team do we see from here on out?

As a fighter, I know that if you relax too much you can get beat. Yet, many fighters (as I found out) actually get better when they relax a bit. Few people realize that Larry Holmes was easily the best heavyweight of his time. It was almost as though he was about to fall asleep in the ring. His confidence radiated!

What do you think we will see from the Broncos from here on out?
    Last edited by kevlar441; 12-05-2012 at 08:11 PM.
    "Talk does not make a man ... only action can!"

The Broncos are a work in progress on both sides of the ball. They need to keep playing hard right into the playoffs.

On D, JDR already uses all the defenders available.

Players who are banged up, like Woodyard and Stokley this week, need to rest and recuperate.

Fortunately, there is some depth at certain positions (i.e., LB, CB, RB, WR, DE, G).
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

I never like it when a team gears down, because once you get that mindset going, bad things can happen.........you lose your drive and you risk injury.

Football is a sport that requires effort and spirit. Sure, there may be teams that can get away with playing with a number of backups, and then rebound for the next game with no lost intensity. But for me, the only time you change speed, if you will, is if you have your goals achieved, and need to rest your starters, or at least those folks who are on hobbling a bit.

Conversely, I do not like the way Belichick runs up scores late in games. Even though I get what he is trying to accomplish, I still don't like it, and for sure, he is risking his best players over very little upside.

But for now, we have to keep pushing the envelope, and until we are where we want to be, we should only consider benching players that are jeopardizing their current medical situations.

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    The Broncos are a work in progress on both sides of the ball. They need to keep playing hard right into the playoffs.

On D, JDR already uses all the defenders available.

Players who are banged up, like Woodyard and Stokley this week, need to rest and recuperate.

Fortunately, there is some depth at certain positions (i.e., LB, CB, RB, WR, DE, G).
    So Sam ... are you saying "keep the pedal to the metal" or what? And what do you think the Broncos will do?

I'm with Sam in that I think the Broncos have enough depth to still win out and rest players. What a luxury that is!

Quote Originally Posted by kevlar441 View Post
    So Sam ... are you saying "keep the pedal to the metal" or what? And what do you think the Broncos will do?
    I think if the game is in hand early on by a lopsided score the backups will come in.No need to run the score up further on old friend Dennis Allen,he has been through enough this week.

id rather they keep going and get the 2nd seed.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoSexyDaddy View Post
    I think if the game is in hand early on by a lopsided score the backups will come in.No need to run the score up further on old friend Dennis Allen,he has been through enough this week.
    When the score is 59-14, maybe.

I prefer when teams just continue to steam roll teams into the playoffs.

It always seems like teams slow down and take the last few weeks off, struggle when it comes time for playoffs, and usually get knocked off by the hot teams who had to play their behinds off to get in.

I say just keep taking care of business until there is none left!

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    I never like it when a team gears down, because once you get that mindset going, bad things can happen.........you lose your drive and you risk injury.

Football is a sport that requires effort and spirit. Sure, there may be teams that can get away with playing with a number of backups, and then rebound for the next game with no lost intensity. But for me, the only time you change speed, if you will, is if you have your goals achieved, and need to rest your starters, or at least those folks who are on hobbling a bit.

Conversely, I do not like the way Belichick runs up scores late in games. Even though I get what he is trying to accomplish, I still don't like it, and for sure, he is risking his best players over very little upside.
    But for now, we have to keep pushing the envelope, and until we are where we want to be, we should only consider benching players that are jeopardizing their current medical situations.
    I am not a fan of Belichick or Jo.. (can't even say his name). I do not believe in running up the score "per say" for no reason. However, I do believe in winning game decisively. ("Prevent Defense" seems to prevent nothing.)

The point that I was alluding to when I started this is that I believe this team my actually get better now. When I was training people I used to do a demonstration that showed that relaxed confidence can actually make you stronger. In fact, few people realize that tense muscle groups will actually work against each other. Like biceps and triceps.

Now that this team has achieved it's first goal (the playoffs), I'll bet they actually get better.

The reason Tampa scored points at the end of the game, was because John Fox took players out and rested them because it's a short week against the Raiders.I know Champ was pulled out early to rest his body.Fox knows what it takes to keep players fresh when you have back to back games like that.I would rather have players fresh for the next game rather than run the score up.It's a full season, playoffs,and possibly a superbowl.

I picked Both...play to win, but don't risk a more serious injury (like Stokes & Woody)

Quote Originally Posted by kevlar441 View Post
    See post #2: "They need to keep playing hard right into the playoffs."

Next man up has been the mantra of the season. If a guy can't go, next man up, but keep playing hard.

I don't see Manning coming out unless it's to let Osweiler run the victory formation. O is still a work in progress and Manning needs those realtime reps.

JDR already uses all the active defenders he has available during a game.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoSexyDaddy View Post
    The reason Tampa scored points at the end of the game, was because John Fox took players out and rested them because it's a short week against the Raiders.I know Champ was pulled out early to rest his body.Fox knows what it takes to keep players fresh when you have back to back games like that.I would rather have players fresh for the next game rather than run the score up.It's a full season, playoffs,and possibly a superbowl.
    In the Tampa game, the Broncos owned 11:55 of the 4th Quarter game clock. On their 3rd 4th Quarter drive, they ran the ball three times and forced the Bucs to use all their time outs. The Bucs scored a TD @2:57. The Broncos got the ball back @2:32 after recovering the onsides kick, and it went: run-2 minute warning-offsides-run/1st-victory-victory-game over.

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    In the Tampa game, the Broncos owned 11:55 of the 4th Quarter game clock. On their 3rd 4th Quarter drive, they ran the ball three times and forced the Bucs to use all their time outs. The Bucs scored a TD @2:57. The Broncos got the ball back @2:32 after recovering the onsides kick, and it went: run-2 minute warning-offsides-run/1st-victory-victory-game over.
    Yep that's how it went.

Having a Thursday night game is like having a bye week.The older players get rest like Bailey and Brooking.We will be well rested against the Ravens next week.A bye week this late in the season is good for our team heading to the playoffs.