John Elway, Steve Young and Jim kelly believe RG3 wont last if he keeps running.

Sam Farmer of the Los Angeles Times did a great job of putting together an article that includes to opinions of Hall of Fame quarterbacks Jim Kelly, Steve Young and John Elway on Redskins rookie quarterback Robert Griffin III.
    Kelly believes that Griffin’s success running the option might force defenses to be more physical with him.
    “Yeah, it’s the element of surprise right now, but you’re going to get teams that say, ‘Who cares about the dive back, go directly at RG. Even if he doesn’t have the football, and he’s riding the guy? Hit him anyway,’” said Jim Kelly, Hall of Famer for the Buffalo Bills. “I would do that if I was the defensive coach. I would say, ‘If he’s going to run the option, make him pay for it.’
    “This is not a league for a quarterback to want to run the football. Look at Michael Vick. The guy is one of the greatest athletes to ever play that position. Sooner or later, you’re going to get hit a couple times too many, and all of a sudden you’re going to start getting gun-shy.”
    Elway says Griffin won’t be able to run forever, because sooner or later his skills as a runner will diminish.
    “It was a weapon for me to be able to move around and make plays outside the pocket,” Elway said. “But obviously as time goes by, your physical skills diminish a little bit, especially your ability to run and run fast and escape. That’s what kind of naturally slows things down as far as the amount that you run.
    “It’s about being able to get down, get out of bounds, and not take the extra punishment. But I’ve always said, especially when I was running around, that sometimes it’s safer outside the pocket than it is inside the pocket.”
    Young loves how the Redskins are using the Pistol formation, but he questions whether or not it can last over the course of his career.
    “It’s a perfect bridge for getting to the other side,” said Young, now an ESPN analyst who had an up-close look at Griffin during Washington’s victory over the New York Giants on Monday. “If you’re playing for 10 or 15 years, you can’t every week run six option plays. It can be around. It can be a part of the game, but sooner or later you’ve got to deliver the ball from the pocket. That’s the game. Now, if the game changes, and it’s proven a championship can be won from the pistol spread, then I’m wrong.
    “But until I’m proven wrong, it’s definitely a great way to win some games, especially from the red zone. For young quarterbacks who are mobile, it keeps them on the field and being very productive.”
    I totally agree with Young, I don’t the option will last forever and he will need to change-up his game at some point.
    Elway also made a point that sooner or later Griffin will be forced to cut back on running the ball because he won’t be able to get away with it later in his career.
    Link: http://profootballzone.com/nfl/john-...keeps-running/

What is everyone's thought on this? Agree or Disagree with Young, Kell, and Elway.

i dont know how you can disagree with it, hes been hurt 2-3 times this year and has taken some huge shots

he has the arm to be great but shanny will run him into the ground if they keep with the option
    -------

Good defenses will adjust for him... I don't think he makes it 5 yrs , if he doesn't change a little... I love to watch him play, but these NFL bruisers are going to change him, or put him out of the game... JMO
    Bronco fan sine '61...

Option works in HS and college because the hashmarks are wider. It doesn't work in the NFL as well because the ball is put into play from the MOF. There will be no longevity for a pro QB running Option. If a team wants to include the QB as a runner, the best way would be to run Single Wing style plays and have a deep backfield.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

I agree with all of you. If RG3 keeps playing like RB and not sliding out of bounds taking those violent hits he will only last 3-5 years tops. I hope for his sake he changes his play style.
    Last edited by Chillez; 12-11-2012 at 08:19 AM.

RGIII can last a while being a running QB, but he needs to be more careful with the ball. He can't be jumping around huge d-lineman. That play likely would've injured anyone, and he's lucky it was only a knee sprain.

As a QB, he's gonna take hits, but he needs to be careful with them. He needs to slide or run out of bounds more. I admire his toughness, but I don't want to see him get a career ending injury.

I told hubby during the game that RG3 needs to change the way he plays before he seriously gets hurt. He is something to watch, though. I like him a lot, on and off the field.
    Administrator

#LupusAwareness

Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe --- I adopted: Everyone!

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

It's inevitable that quarterbacks who run a lot will struggle with injuries as their careers progress.I'm hoping Robert kind of eases the runs out of his playing style. I think gradually starting to run less and less over the next few years will give him time to perfect his pocket passing game and he can then focus on only running when he sees a big play opportunity. I hope he doesn't completely cut the running from his game though, because it's always exciting watching a runner as electric as him.

no running QB lasts very long with that style of play. He would be be best used as a traditional pocket passer who makes plays running when it is available and then slides down before a big hit.

What a poorly written article. Basically Elway and Young say that over time RG3's abilities to rush the ball will diminish over an entire career....duh. What a way to get readers, use the names of 2 of the top five rushing QBs of all time and make an obvious statement.
    A Classic....

Quote Originally Posted by BroncosAreMyFavorite View Post
    What a poorly written article. Basically Elway and Young say that over time RG3's abilities to rush the ball will diminish over an entire career....duh. What a way to get readers, use the names of 2 of the top five rushing QBs of all time and make an obvious statement.
    hmmm. OKay?

Quote Originally Posted by BroncosAreMyFavorite View Post
    Elway was the only one really talking about diminishing skills with age. Young talked about the pistol offense being a nice augment or transition, but something he doesnt think is sustainable.

Adopted by JakeNbake

Sig by Freyaka