Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    TBH I never understand NFL fans hating 'running up the score', maybe its an American thing. In English football you go for 90 mins whether that means winning 5,6,7 - 0 and no one bats an eye. Its the same in Rugby, Cricket, etc.........
    I disagree with that - for one, "running up the score" doesn't apply in cricket

In rugby, there are things that simply aren't done - if your team has a comfortable lead and, in the relevant leagues, have a four-try bonus point, you rarely see teams actively attempting to pile on points: that is, if that team gets a penalty in the 22, they're not going to go for the try; rarely will you see aggressive tactics such as cross-field kicks, extensive set piece moves etc. You'll also see substitution of the better players which, ultimately, benefits both teams.

Running up the score isn't such a problem, it's the manner in which it's done. If the losing team can't stop repeated runs up the middle then, well, that's their own fault. However, using deliberately aggressive tactics (such as a fake punt on 4th down/going for it on 4th down) is, to me, uncool.

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Quote Originally Posted by 86Elwayfan View Post
    I have always hated the prevent defense but the principle of it makes sense. You keep guys in front of you and keep the clock running. The 9 minute drive in the 4th quarter on Sunday was glorious to me. I didn't care if we scored points or not, all I wanted was the clock to keep going down and it was. I don't look at garbage time as important unless they let the team all the way back in the game which they haven't been doing. All the games we have won recently have been much farther apart than the score has said and I am okay knowing that and not seeing it on the scoreboard.
    The problem with teams switching to a prevent-style defense or a chew-the-clock offense is that most coaches go to this way too early. Look what happened in the Sunday night game between the Patriots and the 49ers. San Francisco, with a seemingly-insurmountable 28 point lead in the third quarter, went to this conservative "preserve-the-lead" gameplan. They stopped using the man coverages their defense had been running in the first half and instead switched to a prevent-style soft zone scheme. The result? The Patriots score 28 unanswered points and tied the game! And the 49ers have he top defense in the NFL! Sure, San Francisco won, but the outcome was far more in doubt than it should have been.

Against really good teams, no lead is safe until it becomes mathematically impossible for the losing team to score enough with the time remaining. Prevent defense should be used for only one purpose (the purpose it was created for): to PREVENT the other team from scoring on one or two big plays. A prevent scheme WILL allow the offense to score eventually if they have enough time, because you're giving them free yards underneath the coverage on every play but the idea is that you use it when the offense doesn't have enough time to march down the field using 6 or 7 yard plays. Using Prevent in the 3rd quarter is ridiculously stupid, yet I see coaches do it all the time.

I have no problem with the Broncos running the ball late to keep the other offense off the field. I have no problem with taking knees in the redzone to end the game instead of trying for another touchdown. But I hope that this doesn't turn into allowing a comeback at some point because the Broncos take their foot off the gas too early. This team needs to show some killer instinct at some point if we expect a deep playoff run.

Quote Originally Posted by legend View Post
    Even though we are sitting pretty with the number two seed at the moment and it would take an apocalyptic disaster for us to lose it considering who we play in the final two rounds, there is one thing that is frustrating me at the moment.

That frustration is our garbage time play. During our winning streak we have usually had the game in the bag by the late in the third quarter and the fourth quarter is just a hand off to the RB. I'd like to see us run the score up every once in a while and show how good we really are.

Is this a Fox or a Manning thing? I remember in the 98 season with Elway and Shanahan, we would blow teams out and keep the foot on the pedal. I think we put 55 on the Cowboys that year. Even with Brister running the show, we were able to blow teams out.

I know it's too late in the season, but maybe in the playoffs we can send a warning to a Patriots like team that we are most certainly the real deal.
    Legend,
    I know exactly how you feel and I must admit that I had that same reaction a couple of weeks ago during the Tampa game. I felt they started to play not to lose rather than playing to win.
    However, that being said, I'm very confident that this will change come January. This is when you win or go home and I feel that Denver's offensive strategy will be 180 degrees from what it is now. You can rest assured that when Denver gets the lead, they will make it their mission to bury whoever they are playing.

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Not running up the score may possibly be an issue with those who are gambling, playing fantasy football or who just aren't tuned in to the concept of good sportsmanship.

Personally, when the Broncos ended the Raiders game inside the +10 with three victory formations in a row, I was proud of them. That was super classy. John Fox had a big, warm hug for Dennis Allen afterward.
    This is where it's at. John Fox and Peyton Manning are class acts. They're not going step on people's necks just so they can puff their chests out in the post pressers. If anything the defense in it's prevent shell type package to finish off 4th quarters is sometimes frustrating but again - out coaches have played the percentages time and again and usually it's given them what they want in the end - the 'W'

Having said that, would I enjoy the Broncos running it up on the Pats or SF? Absolutely. But if they don't and get their 'W' I wont complain one bit.

I think this is one of the reasons why EVERYONE like John Fox. The guy knows how to run a team and keep his players' heads on straight. Running up the score could actually be a distraction when you think about it. Fox has done an excellent job of not allowing distractions to permeate when he's had control over them.
    Red 98

The early bird may get the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese

I'm not sure why you would want to risk injury trying to run the score up. Look what happened to Cronk of the Pats. I think the Broncos coaching staff has done what's best for the team ... causciously winning solidly. We've been very fortunate to not have suffered and game changing or serious injuries this year. It's all good!

Quote Originally Posted by legend View Post
    I stand corrected. Must be the rose coloured glasses considering it was 14 years ago.

Being Australian and a Rugby League fan, playoff positions are decided on points scored and conceded if you are level on the number of wins and losses. The NFL is the opposite as head to head is counted before points scored and conceded (we call it for and against).

I am more with the Belichick's and Carroll's of this world. The other team should have to stop you every game as opposed to running out the clock.
    No. Get out of games without any major injuries and play on into the next week. This team has been dominant any way you choose to cut it.

Peyton and Fox have the same mindset. Play until you have a large lead and then lean on them with heavy doses of running and strong defense.

It bugs me a little because I hate seeing other teams score on us, but by the end of the game I'm over it because we won (AGAIN) and we come out healthy.

Hooray, beer!

Being to conservative against teams like NE will be a disaster. 60 mins of football should be played hard. These are professional football players. Comebacks happen all the time.

lol we have almost the same scores as the 98 team.
    its fine people. calm down

Quote Originally Posted by jbrewer View Post
    Being to conservative against teams like NE will be a disaster. 60 mins of football should be played hard. These are professional football players. Comebacks happen all the time.

Name one game that the outcome was in doubt in the 4th quarter in the past 9 games.

Hooray, beer!

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighInNY View Post
    The problem with teams switching to a prevent-style defense or a chew-the-clock offense is that most coaches go to this way too early. Look what happened in the Sunday night game between the Patriots and the 49ers. San Francisco, with a seemingly-insurmountable 28 point lead in the third quarter, went to this conservative "preserve-the-lead" gameplan. They stopped using the man coverages their defense had been running in the first half and instead switched to a prevent-style soft zone scheme. The result? The Patriots score 28 unanswered points and tied the game! And the 49ers have he top defense in the NFL! Sure, San Francisco won, but the outcome was far more in doubt than it should have been.

Against really good teams, no lead is safe until it becomes mathematically impossible for the losing team to score enough with the time remaining. Prevent defense should be used for only one purpose (the purpose it was created for): to PREVENT the other team from scoring on one or two big plays. A prevent scheme WILL allow the offense to score eventually if they have enough time, because you're giving them free yards underneath the coverage on every play but the idea is that you use it when the offense doesn't have enough time to march down the field using 6 or 7 yard plays. Using Prevent in the 3rd quarter is ridiculously stupid, yet I see coaches do it all the time.

I have no problem with the Broncos running the ball late to keep the other offense off the field. I have no problem with taking knees in the redzone to end the game instead of trying for another touchdown. But I hope that this doesn't turn into allowing a comeback at some point because the Broncos take their foot off the gas too early. This team needs to show some killer instinct at some point if we expect a deep playoff run.
    To this point, they've only shown the ability to do it at exactly the right time. What makes you think they will suddenly start doing it too early?

Quote Originally Posted by Doogansquest View Post
    To this point, they've only shown the ability to do it at exactly the right time. What makes you think they will suddenly start doing it too early?
    Exactly. People are acting like we've lost games by letting teams come back. One thing often over looked is that when those teams score their garbage TDs we come back on the field and chew up even more of the clock, flip field position and make them work for another TD all over again.

What's the point of blitzing or playing press man late in a game where the outcome is already decided? Also, to the point of Brady's comeback against the Niners, the niners kept chunking the clock and letting NE blow their wad, came out and tacked on another score in what, two plays?

This team has no killer instinct? We THOROUGHLY dismantled a desperate Ravens team. We stood on their chest until the last breath was out. What is the point of playing the villain? We're already going to get everyone's best shot because we're a top team in the league, why run up the score and give teams even more motivation to beat us than they already have?

Hooray, beer!

Seriously Broncos fans, quit wringing your damn hands and realize that you're watching something special happen here. 9 game winning streaks don't grow on trees in the NFL.

You don't have to win every game 56-0 and make a "statement" every single week. The only statement the Broncos need to make is that W and the only statement the fans need to make being in lockstep right behind them.

You'd think we're losing games or something with these kinds of attitudes. We're REALLY worrying about letting a team score an extra TD at the end of a game or not scoring three more points? Did we all just lose our minds and forget that the Broncos have NEVER won in Baltimore, and then won by 13? That's a freaking Disney movie waiting to happen, and Broncos fans here in the city and elsewhere get completely indignant and start spouting nonsense about how we don't have "killer instinct"?

What happened to "all he does is win"? What happened to "by any means necessary"? Now all of a sudden its changed in one year to the spinless bully head coach from the Mighty Ducks? No point in winning if you can't win big?

Fine by me. Sit on your hands. Worry week in and week out about how we might lose down the road because we "let off" on a team. As for me? I'm seeing with my own two eyes one of the greatest seasons in Broncos history. I'm seeing a great team go on an unprecedented tear through the NFL only two seasons removed from the #2 pick in the draft.

And I'm loving every last second of it.

/rant

Hooray, beer!

Ahh we will be fine

Quote Originally Posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
    Seriously Broncos fans, quit wringing your damn hands and realize that you're watching something special happen here. 9 game winning streaks don't grow on trees in the NFL.

You don't have to win every game 56-0 and make a "statement" every single week. The only statement the Broncos need to make is that W and the only statement the fans need to make being in lockstep right behind them.

You'd think we're losing games or something with these kinds of attitudes. We're REALLY worrying about letting a team score an extra TD at the end of a game or not scoring three more points? Did we all just lose our minds and forget that the Broncos have NEVER won in Baltimore, and then won by 13? That's a freaking Disney movie waiting to happen, and Broncos fans here in the city and elsewhere get completely indignant and start spouting nonsense about how we don't have "killer instinct"?

What happened to "all he does is win"? What happened to "by any means necessary"? Now all of a sudden its changed in one year to the spinless bully head coach from the Mighty Ducks? No point in winning if you can't win big?

Fine by me. Sit on your hands. Worry week in and week out about how we might lose down the road because we "let off" on a team. As for me? I'm seeing with my own two eyes one of the greatest seasons in Broncos history. I'm seeing a great team go on an unprecedented tear through the NFL only two seasons removed from the #2 pick in the draft.

And I'm loving every last second of it.

/rant
    This^^^ 100 times over!