Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

The Broncos' Future

Watching guys like Russell Wilson, Kaepernick, and Andy Dalton develop makes me wonder what the future of teams like Denver and New England will be in 5 to 10 years.

Granted, we can't expect to draft an RG III, Luck, or Matt Ryan caliber QB without first having a terrible season. However, I worry that we have not properly planned for the future. Nothing I have seen in our backups or the Pats' backups (who is Brady's backup?!??) indicates either team will have any great offensive success once Manning and Brady retire. And we all know how important having a great QB is in this passing age of football.

I really couldn't care less about New England, but we are in the same boat. Will we then be relegated to another decade of mediocrity after Peyton?

Mallett

But we haven't really seen much (if anything) from Brock yet. He'll hopefully get his fair chance in due time.
    Adopted Poster
    AZ Snake Fan

Quote Originally Posted by SinePari View Post
    Watching guys like Russell Wilson, Kaepernick, and Andy Dalton develop makes me wonder what the future of teams like Denver and New England will be in 5 to 10 years.

Granted, we can't expect to draft an RG III, Luck, or Matt Ryan caliber QB without first having a terrible season. However, I worry that we have not properly planned for the future. Nothing I have seen in our backups or the Pats' backups (who is Brady's backup?!??) indicates either team will have any great offensive success once Manning and Brady retire. And we all know how important having a great QB is in this passing age of football.

I really couldn't care less about New England, but we are in the same boat. Will we then be relegated to another decade of mediocrity after Peyton?
    Dude you must not pay attention to the team or the league. We have Brock Osweiler waiting in the wings to take over for Manning once he retires. But for now he is just learning from Manning and Elway. And he is only 21...so when Manning retires he will still only be 25-26. I think we are set up pretty well for the future at the QB position. As far as the Pats go they have the same situation with Ryan Mallet waiting in the wings once Brady retires.

I like how everyone says us and the Patriots will be in great shape. How does everyone know that Brock Osweiler and Ryan Mallett will both pan out?

Quote Originally Posted by BroncosPWNn00bs View Post
    I like how everyone says us and the Patriots will be in great shape. How does everyone know that Brock Osweiler and Ryan Mallett will both pan out?
    Who's saying that?
    Adopted Poster
    AZ Snake Fan

Yea MileHighCrusher, it must be because I don't know anything about the team and not because I question Osweiler's ability.

Bear in mind that Brock didn't exactly play well against the great teams in college (e.g. got blown out against Oregon and Boise State). Secondly, his entire career he only threw 33 TDs to 15 INTs, just barely completing 60%. That's not just an issue of performance, but also limited experience.

It's cool. I guess we can revisit Osweiler's "greatness" when we come to it since you seem so certain we're "set up pretty well."

No offense but looks like you search for a topic to worry and drag others to it.

Peyton is just in the middle of first year of a 5 yrs contract and you are thinking about whats going to happen after 4 yrs??.

Just enjoy what he is doing today for Broncos.

Everyone, please remember to be civil in here, if you disagree with the OP, do so in a respectful manner, if you agree with the OP, also do so in a respectful manner. Just because we are on a ten game winning streak doesn't mean that the Code of Conduct is not still in effect.
    *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women***

Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

@ManningForLife, so that's a fair critique. I had not meant to stir up worry, but I did want to stimulate meaningful discussion.

I in no way want to detract from the high of this great season, but I also believe that it's always important to be looking steps ahead in anything. If it's too touchy a subject, I'm happy to just let it die.

This is, has been, and always will be a win now league. We aren't planning for the future, we are planning for right now.

Elway put it best, "There is no plan B."
    Last edited by IABronco05; 12-23-2012 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IABronco05 View Post
    This is, has, and always will be a win now league. We aren't planning for the future, we are planning for right now.

Elway put it best, "There is no plan B."
    Then why did he take a QB in the 2nd when he could of got an impact player instead?

Keep adding to this defense and we could have a Trent Dilfer at QB and still be successful...Defense wins.

Quote Originally Posted by ERoyal248 View Post
    Then why did he take a QB in the 2nd when he could of got an impact player instead?
    Why did he sign Peyton Manning, why did he sign Joel Dreesen, why did he sign Jacob Tamme, why did he sign Brandon Stokely? We can have a why battle, but Mr Elway has shown that he is a "right now" kind of exec

Quote Originally Posted by BroncosDivision View Post
    Who's saying that?
    A lotta people. When someone says " Whats going to happen when Manning retires?" And then a few people will go " We have Brock Osweiler" or something like that. And act like Brock is going to be great.

I'm just going to enjoy the brief ride we have right now with Peyton though.

I don't really see where you're coming from.

The Broncos invested a 2nd round pick on a 21 year old QB with the intent of grooming him behind Peyton Manning until Peyton retires. How does that not constitute planning for the future? I'm well aware that Brock may or may not pan out, but making that judgment right now is premature to say the least.

As for New England, what about Ryan Mallet? Just like the Broncos, the Pats saw a physically gifted young quarterback who could be groomed into their QB of the future. Will it work out? Again, too early to say, but the groundwork is laid for him to take over and be successful once Brady is gone.

You seem to think that the only legitimate way to plan for the future is to draft a top-flight, big-name player to sit on your bench. Well, newsflash: the only way to draft an Andrew Luck or RGIII that is to hit rock bottom - hardly the type of plan I'd like executives to have for my team.

Denver and New England are both trying a tried and true method of developing a young, talented player on the bench until the incumbent veteran retires. How do you think Tom Brady got started in NE in the first place? He learned behind the incumbent Drew Bledsoe until he got his chance to step in. How about Aaron Rodgers? The Packers invested in him and groomed him behind Brett Favre until he was ready to take over.

Osweiler and Mallet are certainly not sure-fire locks to be elite players, but they are both in prime situations to grow, learn, and excel. No backup is a guaranteed superstar--thats why they are backups. For now, however, I think Denver is in great shape. They already have a superstar at quarterback, and are in the hunt for a Superbowl. And, all the while, they have a unique physical specimen of a rookie learning and growing behind perhaps the most cerebral QB of all time.

There is no guarantee that it will work out, but as far as planning, I think Denver is absolutely doing it the right way. I like our chances.