Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Yardo & Kish, Maybe you guys can make some suggestions how people can protect themselves while visiting the website and surfing the web. I think most people know they should have some sort of virus software but maybe you guys can recommend some good ones that work.

I usually scan my PC once a day with two different virus scan programs which I have setup to automatically scan. I use two programs for a couple years now since there doesn't seem to be one program out there that catches them all.

I usually do not go venturing off too far on the internet but I do a lot of research and I have come across attack websites while doing that so I definitely suggest some sort of virus scan software for any internet user.

Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
    2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
    2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Quote Originally Posted by one_bad_55 View Post
    Yardo & Kish, Maybe you guys can make some suggestions how people can protect themselves while visiting the website and surfing the web. I think most people know they should have some sort of virus software but maybe you guys can recommend some good ones that work.

I usually scan my PC once a day with two different virus scan programs which I have setup to automatically scan. I use two programs for a couple years now since there doesn't seem to be one program out there that catches them all.

I usually do not go venturing off too far on the internet but I do a lot of research and I have come across attack websites while doing that so I definitely suggest some sort of virus scan software for any internet user.
    yeah, I think we should use this as a learning experience... if Kish and yardo would be so kind as to point us in a helpful direction, it would be greatly appreciated.
    *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women***

Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

As I stated before, staying safe and secure requires pro-active effort on your part, and a multifaceted approach.

You could fill a book with all of the various ways and how-to's, and it's not easy to put them all in a cliff-note form, but I'll try my best, and offer a few websites that offer more detailed information if you're so inclined.

#1 Passwords, passwords passwords.

You should have many, they should be long, they should include numbers, letters, and capital letters where possible, and should never include your name, family member's names, birth dates etc. Passwords are the keys to the "car", and give access to your most sensitive accounts. What's safer, an unlocked knob on your front door? Or four padlocks, a deadbolt and a chain?

I use the trick where you pick a phrase, song lyric, or something to that effect, and use letters from that phrase to create my account passwords.

For instance:

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.

You could make a password using the first letter of each word in that sentence to create a password.

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog

= Tqbfjotld

Then you can add a number of your choice that creates an added level of complexity to the jumbled letters to make something like this:

Tqbfjotld1234

There you have a capitalized letter, random other letters, and a series of numbers.

Now to remember the passwords that are different for each account, you can add a logical identifier like for your amazon account, AmznTqbfjotld1234, and for your Twitter account, TwttrTqbfjotld1234 etc. etc.

Now, since you've done this, you will want to change it once in a while as well.

Is this harder than just having your password being "kidsnameandbirthdate" yes, but it protects your most important information.

Another thing you can do that I always do, is separate your online life. You should have accounts for banking, work, and personal life/ fun, separate from each-other.

#2 Pay attention!

Whenever you click "OK" or "Accept" or agree to anything, or download anything etc. etc. know what you're agreeing to, know what you're downloading, and read the fine print.

Random ads that pop up with a window saying "You're infected, download this to get rid of your viruses etc etc." are all bogus.

Downloading pirated material is a risk, and you do so at your own peril. If you choose to do it, you choose to accept that you could be compromising your security.

Another thing to pay attention to are all of the various scams that are prevalent on the internet. Look up the terms "Phishing" "Spoofing" How to Avoid Scams on Craigslist, and How to Avoid Internet Dating Scams among other things, to inform yourself of the various things that are out there that can pose a threat.

#3 Protect your connection

Make sure you are using (and regularly updating, along with all other operating system functions and programs) an anti-virus program, an anti-spyware program, and a firewall. One is not necessarily the other. Everyone has different opinions of which ones to use, but a quick google search can give lists of free or inexpensive examples that do a very good job.

Always check for secure transaction info. You may see a gold lock at the bottom of the page to indicate a secure site. When giving any bank details or other information, make sure the connection is secure (URLs like this begin with https:// instead of http:// ) and the site is trustworthy. (Not every site which runs HTTPS or accepts payments is trustworthy, even if the connection is.)

If you're using a wireless device on a public network, make sure to turn off file sharing and network discovery.

#4 and the most successful

Inform yourself. Do your due diligence and do some research on the subject of staying safe while on the web. You are the last line of defense for your system and your information, and you cannot rely on other people, or passive software to do all the work for you.

Here are a couple links that have a good amount of information to get you started:

http://www.google.com/goodtoknow/online-safety/

http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/...hopping-online

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/Featur...fe-online.aspx

Oh, and as a side note, clicking on links in forums isn't always a good idea either so......lol
    Last edited by kishzilla; 12-28-2012 at 01:43 AM.

Honestly, there's no one best way about it. Like the two of us have suggested: be cautious. If your browser or AV software screams at you about something then you probably should keep away from that website until it's resolved. Sync and a couple others did the right thing in waiting until the weird stuff went away. Personally, I use Linux (a pretty secure Operating System) so I tend to be a little more brave about stepping into the websites that throw alerts at me.

Probably the biggest don't do is using Internet Explorer. It's improved a lot throughout the years but still has some security issues like the one mentioned here. This website was pushing some sort of exploit warning and IE didn't pick it up. That's not good.

Keep your AV and Malware software security up-to-date and don't take things for granted.

PASSWORDS!!!

Use strong passwords. Mix up special characters and letters. A common one is using the @ symbol for A's, or 3's for E's, and !'s for I's. Things like that. And DON'T use the same password for every website ESPECIALLY financial websites.

ENCRYPTION

If you're on a website that you're submitting highly personal data, bank and credit card info, or passwords make sure there's a https:// at the beginning. That S stands for secure (encrypted).

BADGES

Don't always fall for the stupid "We're Secure" so trust us badges at the bottom of websites. Those don't always mean anything.

And I guess if you really want to be a stickler for details you can look at the footer of a website and see what version of whatever web application they're using. Then Google that information and what the current version of that software is.

You can even Google that Software and it's version with the word "exploit" and you might find some interesting things. For instance all I did was check the forum footer which shows vBulletin 4.1.12 and then I Googled "vBulletin 4.1.12 Exploits". That threw out some pretty interesting stuff. Then again, that version number at the footer may not reflect the actual version of what the website is running on.

It's all tricky stuff but you can learn a lot from just poking around.

Edit: Ha ha, Kish was doing the same thing when I was responding.
    Last edited by // / yardo; 12-28-2012 at 02:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by // / yardo View Post
    Edit: Ha ha, Kish was doing the same thing when I was responding.

I'll add a few more. It is VERY, VERY important to keep software up to date. Specifically, Adobe Flash player. Flash is one of the most commonly used exploits. Fact is you would be safer without Flash and Java on your computer, but a lot of sites wouldn't work well.

An easy way to update all of the key software is to go to ninite.com and click the checkbox next to all of the software you want it to update for you, be sure to check all of the boxes in the runtime section, which will cover Flash, Java, etc. Then, you click on "Get Installer" and it will bring you to a page where you can downline an installer app. Then, every few days (the more often the better) you can run the installer app and it will make sure you have the most up to date versions (I also have it update my web browsers and a few other things).

If you are on a PC, make sure you have system restore enabled and have some type of backup running regularly. If you spend time on the web, it's when not if you will get infected, and sometimes the only or best option is to go back to a Windows restore point or reload your machine.

Finally, most people can't afford or don't want to go through the effort, but the best thing you could do is to use VMware Workstation or another similar virtual machine software and have a designated, "virtual machine" for your web browsing. Unfortunately, over the last few years antivirus/anti-malware software has gone from detecting 70-80% of viruses and malware to only being able to detect less than 40%. The reason is that the goal of viruses/malware has changed over the last decade or so. How often do you hear about the viruses/worms that are wiping millions of hard drives over the course of a few days/ Almost never, because the goal of these hackers has changed from getting the "glory" of their work on the network news, and now is focuses on CC/banking/identity theft. As a result, the vast majority of times if you are infected, you will never know, because they work very hard to hide the virus/malware and let it sit there and steal your information.

This is the reason that a separate browsing machine, or virtual machine, is about the best option we have right now, but is still not ideal.
    The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

If I'm ever in doubt, I just sandbox it.

Except for mailbombing in the early http days, I've never had trouble with anything.
    Adopted Poster
    AZ Snake Fan

Thanks guys for sharing. Do you guys have a preference to virus scan software? I use two but I know they do not catch everything and as Tned mentioned they are not doing that great of a job these days at catching all of them as they change and add new ones almost daily.

I might add to what has been said especially with emails or pop up ads. Don't let your curiosity kill you. If you did not ask for it then it is probably BAD. If it sounds too good to be true, well you know the rest. More people get taken advantage of by simply opening an email attachment, link, or ad just out of curiosity. DON'T BE THAT GUY, or GIRL.

Also it is a good thing to change your passwords at least once every month especially on your Bank accounts, PayPal, and anything that contains your financial information. If you pay bills online change those passwords frequently.

Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
    2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
    2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Excellent job to kish, ned and yardo for explaining how to protect yourselves.

Being one that does protect himself was flagged with warnings right away on FF and GC because the detected problem was an attention for me. My own computer is a backup for such warnings as a safeguard.

Always wear your cond...... Um...... virus protector.

Quote Originally Posted by one_bad_55 View Post
    Thanks guys for sharing. Do you guys have a preference to virus scan software? I use two but I know they do not catch everything and as Tned mentioned they are not doing that great of a job these days at catching all of them as they change and add new ones almost daily.
    I'm not on the up-and-up with Windows apps like I used to be but when I need AV software I usually go with Avast or AVG Free. Malwarebytes and Spybot S&D are good malware apps to have also.

I'm not on the up-and-up with Windows apps like I used to be but when I need AV software I usually go with Avast or AVG Free. Malwarebytes and Spybot S&D are good malware apps to have also.
    That's what I use, along with Windows Defender. The free versions of them are fine. Just be sure to eliminate in it's entirety any Norton or McAfee software on your machine first. Useless bloatware that causes more problems than they solve.

Quote Originally Posted by kishzilla View Post
    That's what I use, along with Windows Defender. The free versions of them are fine. Just be sure to eliminate in it's entirety any Norton or McAfee software on your machine first. Useless bloatware that causes more problems than they solve.
    Tech support much?

Tech support much?
    Yeah, where do we pick up our paychecks?

Quote Originally Posted by kishzilla View Post
    Yeah, where do we pick up our paychecks?
    apparently I've paid you too much without paying others

Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

I'm going to DDoS you all...

No I'm not this is not a threat or anything.

2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho