Wisenhunt to SD as OC

Already McCoy makes a smarter decision as HC then he ever did here as OC.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/88...offense-source

Former Arizona Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt will become the offensive coordinator for the San Diego Chargers, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Williamson: Great Hire By Chargers

Mike McCoy's first decision as coach of the Chargers -- the hiring of Ken Whisenhunt to call his offense -- is an indication of things to come, San Diego is in great shape, Bill Williamson writes. Blog

The Chargers hired former Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy as their new coach this week.

Whisenhunt was dismissed by Arizona on Dec. 31 after six seasons. He led the Cardinals to their only Super Bowl appearance in his second season, and they won their second straight NFC West title the next year. But after a 4-0 start this season, the Cardinals lost 11 of their last 12 games to finish 5-11 for the second time in three years.

Whisenhunt was 49-53 in Arizona, including 4-2 in two playoff appearances. The Cardinals lost to Pittsburgh in the Super Bowl after the 2008 season.

Whisenhunt was also an offensive coordinator with the Steelers, and his offense in Arizona fared much better in his first three seasons when Kurt Warner was the quarterback than the last three.

With Warner, the Cardinals ranked 12th, fourth and 14th in total yards from 2007 to 2009 and seventh, third and 11th in points during that span. They didn't finish higher than 19th in yards and 24th in points in the past three years.

Whisenhunt, 50, began his coaching career as an assistant at Vanderbilt in 1995. He jumped to the NFL after two seasons, joining Ted Marchibroda's staff as tight ends coach in Baltimore in 1997. Whisenhunt spent two seasons with the Ravens, then was Cleveland's tight ends coach in 1999 and the New York Jets' special-teams coach in 2000. He went to Pittsburgh in 2001, serving as the tight ends coach his first three seasons and offensive coordinator the next three.

Information from ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter and The Associated Press was used in this report.
    Last edited by Mel B.; 01-17-2013 at 04:23 PM.

I knew this was going to happen.. was discussing this with my wife and her brother yesterday.

ಠ◡ಠ ⊙▃⊙ ಠ_ಠ ಠ~ಠ ಥ_ಥ
    Funny he doesn't even trust himself to call his own offense

Hate seeing Whiz go there.

going to be interesting

wonder if we're keeping pagano as dc

See this is where making an internal promotion hurts.

I have more faith in Wisenhunts ability to run a football then McCoy.Fox sould have pulled the trigger on Ken to keep him on the good guys side in the division. Most called this days before the cards fell.

I

Quote Originally Posted by rst08tierney View Post

I have more faith in Wisenhunts ability to run a football then McCoy.Fox sould have pulled the trigger on Ken to keep him on the good guys side in the division. Most called this days before the cards fell.

I
    eh....ya never know how a new guy will mesh though

continuity ain't a bad thing

there's no guarantee wizzer is going to be good for my chargers

there's something to be said for chemistry ya know, eagles showed that haha

Quote Originally Posted by rst08tierney View Post

I
    I don't know how you are not optimistic after gase spoke. The dude is looking to go for the jugular against every team.

As if Norv Turner were a bad play-caller. That's not the problem in San Diego. The results will be the same unless Rivers makes better decisions and gets better protection. Just look at other teams that recently replaced their coordinators. The Jets replaced Brian Schottenheimer with Tony Sparano and it was a complete disaster. The Steelers replaced Bruce Arians with Todd Haley and they missed the playoffs while players were unhappy with the new system. I guess fans of other teams also think they can call better plays than the coordinator; it might be a common theme in the NFL. The Chargers struggled with a few things, mainly because of the former GM, and I doubt some sort of magic play-calling would have made them a playoff team.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

I don't like seeing Ken go to the sparklers, I was hoping we would go to Denver, but what do you do. We all know that PFM is the oc any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Atwnbroncfan View Post
    I don't know how you are not optimistic after gase spoke. The dude is looking to go for the jugular against every team.
    I was excited but remember, fox is the puppetee r and can take a knee and pump the brakes as we have already seen.

Folks, just a reminder that this section is not a smack section, so please be mindful.

Thanks and
    The Bronco fan pledge;
    I am a Broncos Fan and I believe
    I believe in Mile High Magic and bleed Orange and Blue.
    I celebrate the Orange Crush, The Drive, and the Mile High Salute.
    I create the THUNDER, share the common dream, and will forever be a proud citizen of
    Bronco's Country.

***Adopt a Bronco is Chris Harris, Jr.***

Adopt a Poster AZ Snake Fan & SecondsAway131

Quote Originally Posted by Roddoliver View Post
    As if Norv Turner were a bad play-caller. That's not the problem in San Diego. The results will be the same unless Rivers makes better decisions and gets better protection. Just look at other teams that recently replaced their coordinators. The Jets replaced Brian Schottenheimer with Tony Sparano and it was a complete disaster. The Steelers replaced Bruce Arians with Todd Haley and they missed the playoffs while players were unhappy with the new system. I guess fans of other teams also think they can call better plays than the coordinator; it might be a common theme in the NFL. The Chargers struggled with a few things, mainly because of the former GM, and I doubt some sort of magic play-calling would have made them a playoff team.
    you're right

the main thing was oline protection

if my chargers don't improve that, play calling won't mean squat

Quote Originally Posted by jcdavey View Post
    going to be interesting

wonder if we're keeping pagano as dc
    looks like pags is staying in san diego, that's cool

Quote Originally Posted by Roddoliver View Post
    Agreed. Play calling by Norv doesn't protect the QB. Rivers through 15 picks I believe, that isn't Norv's fault. Not saying Norv was a good head coach or bad, just he was another coach who had a GM that didn't help him out. Just like Ken in Arizona.

Adopted Broncos:
    EmmanuelSanders

Quote Originally Posted by jcdavey View Post
    eh....ya never know how a new guy will mesh though

continuity ain't a bad thing

there's no guarantee wizzer is going to be good for my chargers

there's something to be said for chemistry ya know, eagles showed that haha
    Especially since he's more then likely gonna be one and done and he'll get a shot at HC next year somewhere