Nate Irving: A younger, inexpensive alternative

New Orleans — Read Jeff Legwold’s piece in the Denver Post today about Broncos boss John Elway hoping to insert a few more younger players into his lineup.

Perhaps no one player can help Elway accomplish this goal than linebacker Nate Irving. A third-round pick in the 2010 draft, Irving, who doesn’t turn 25 until July, is a far younger alternative than Keith Brooking, who turns 38 in October. Irving is also scheduled to make the third-year minimum $555,000 salary in 2013, making him far cheaper than the $6 million D.J. Williams is supposed to make in the final year of his contract.

So all the numbers tilt in Irving’s favor. Now he has to prove he can play on a regular basis. He’ll get a shot to compete for the starting job during the offseason.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/...ebacker/18294/

Quote Originally Posted by JayJack View Post
    New Orleans — Read Jeff Legwold’s piece in the Denver Post today about Broncos boss John Elway hoping to insert a few more younger players into his lineup.

Perhaps no one player can help Elway accomplish this goal than linebacker Nate Irving. A third-round pick in the 2010 draft, Irving, who doesn’t turn 25 until July, is a far younger alternative than Keith Brooking, who turns 38 in October. Irving is also scheduled to make the third-year minimum $555,000 salary in 2013, making him far cheaper than the $6 million D.J. Williams is supposed to make in the final year of his contract.

So all the numbers tilt in Irving’s favor. Now he has to prove he can play on a regular basis. He’ll get a shot to compete for the starting job during the offseason.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/...ebacker/18294/
    If he can play it is a big plus to the team on so many levels. If he can't, he would be wasting someone else's practice time. I hope he has learned the game.
    RIP Cameron

For me it's Irving or The Draft.....

Time to solidify that position for years to come.

I think the team is high on him, moving him to back up Von Miller seems like they have a lot of faith in him to come in for Miller should something bad happen. We didn't draft a true MLB last year despite having a question mark there. If we draft one this offseason, well then I'll be wrong. I don't think we will though, at least not early enough to start immediately. Irving is going to take this opportunity and run with it.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    For me it's Irving or The Draft.....

Time to solidify that position for years to come.
    Not giving Johnson his chance? He did defy all odds once, you can't count him out from defying those odds again.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoooJohnson View Post
    Not giving Johnson his chance? He did defy all odds once, you can't count him out from defying those odds again.
    The same can be said for Irving. Fox likes experience, I don't think he'll give Johnson a shot to start at LB unless he absolutely has to.

I'm rooting for Nate, but we've seen him in very limited action. Considering that PT is earned, I wouldn't count on him being the answer. I do really want him to succeed though, given his history. Hope he has a great offseason.

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

WLB - Woodyard, Trevathan
    MLB - Williams, Johnson
    SLB - Miller, Irving

That's a pretty good linebacking corps.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeBassett View Post
    WLB - Woodyard, Trevathan
    MLB - Williams, Johnson
    SLB - Miller, Irving

That's a pretty good linebacking corps.
    Agreed except that its not good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by FAN4LIFEBRONCOS View Post
    Agreed except that its not good enough.
    Oh please do tell us how it's not good enough

I would love for Nate Irving to take control of the Middle Linebacker position. However, from what I've read, he doesn't play "big" on the inside and is more of a finesse linebacker. Basically, he's not the "hammer" that we need at Middle Linebacker. Not to say that finesse Middle Linebackers can't succeed, so we'll see if Irving can breakout in his 3rd season

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

Quote Originally Posted by getlynched47 View Post
    I would love for Nate Irving to take control of the Middle Linebacker position. However, from what I've read, he doesn't play "big" on the inside and is more of a finesse linebacker. Basically, he's not the "hammer" that we need at Middle Linebacker. Not to say that finesse Middle Linebackers can't succeed, so we'll see if Irving can breakout in his 3rd season
    It depends, he doesn't try to engage blocks, he tries to attack a shoulder and get past before they can touch him and he had a huge amount of success with it in college, but when he hits the runner, he definitely hits them hard.

When Nate Irving first came out I refered to him as a run around linebacker. He wouldn't stick his head in there and engage a block. He wanted to make the tackle on the ball carrier all the time. I think going into next season though he may be ready. He would have had two full off-seasons to learn the game as well as his short lockout rookie off-season. He probably understands now that engageing a block and filling a hole is better then trying to make the tackle.

He looked good in the pre season last year. Hopefully he comes back even better this year and is ready to take the reins at the MIKE linebacker spot. One thing which was really impressive last year was his man coverage. It would be great to have an everydown MIKE with good coverage skills as well as run stopping ability. I am excited to see if Irving can be the guy.

The guy we need starting in the middle of our defense is not currently on the roster. If a guy like DeMeco Ryans is available trhough trade we need to go after him, if not then the draft is the answer. The simple fact that Irving could not beat out Keith Brooking tells me he is not starter material, especially at the most important part of a 4-3 defense.

I'm over D.J., its time to cut ties. I say our 2013 starting MLB needs to be one of these 3 guys. DeMeco Ryans, Alec Ogletree, or Kevin Minter. Nothing else will suffice!

Quote Originally Posted by KWHIT97 View Post
    The guy we need starting in the middle of our defense is not currently on the roster. If a guy like DeMeco Ryans is available trhough trade we need to go after him, if not then the draft is the answer. The simple fact that Irving could not beat out Keith Brooking tells me he is not starter material, especially at the most important part of a 4-3 defense.

I'm over D.J., its time to cut ties. I say our 2013 starting MLB needs to be one of these 3 guys. DeMeco Ryans, Alec Ogletree, or Kevin Minter. Nothing else will suffice!
    I agree unless Trevathan puts on some weight and can play in the base or Steven Johnson really steps up to the plate I think we need someone here. I'd give Irving a shot too, but unfortunately I think the boat on him playing MLB has sailed. DJ Williams can play an Ok MLB but the team is not going to pay him big money to play a position that is not his best. If DJ accepts a significant pay cut its possible, but I think the team is ready to cut ties and use the salary cap savings elsewhere.

I think the Broncos will look to the draft. Someone in the first or second could potentially start right away. Te'o, Ogletree, Minter, and Arthur Brown could all be possibilities.