Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Breakout players of 2013 thread!

Post your projected breakout players for next season! We see it every year. This year, I would have said it was Chris Harris, Tony Carter, Wesley Woodyard, Franklin, Holliday, Zane Beadles, Thomas, Decker, and Rahim Moore. That list will be smaller with added expectations, but who do you think it will be?

My picks:

Derek Wolfe: This is my #1 pick. A year of experience could be the best thing for Wolfe, as he played every game. With an offseason of getting stronger and in better shape, along with learning the NFL game, I think Wolfe will have 8-10 sacks next season and will be a stud DE for us.

Nate Irving or Steven Johnson- these are two players that have overcome the odds in their careers. Neither will lay down easily and concede the starting job. Many see MLB as a need, but I haven't seen to much to indicate that we won't have our future starting MLB on the roster (not that we should plan accordingly)

Virgil Green- Green was worked into the lineup following his suspension, and showed some serious flashes of being a baller. He's listed at 6'5" ~255, but I believe he's more around 6'3". Either way, he runs a low 4.6 and has a 40 inch vertical, numbers comparable to the most athletic tight ends in the NFL. Our staff and PFM have to know that this guy is a secret weapon in the making.

Kevin Vickerson will break out and be an absolute force in the middle of the defensive line if we re-sign him.

Virgil Green for the same reasons. Green impressed me in his limited receiving reps this season (New Orleans). He definitely earns more snaps involved in the offensive attack.

Ronnie Hillman. Hillman is still a bit raw and has a LOT of room to improve in pass protection. Hillman, early in the season, danced too much in the backfield and wasn't really effective. But as the season wore on, I thought his confidence improved and he was running a lot better. In both Baltimore games, Hillman did a good job of running the football and displayed some of his potential. I don't expect an all-out breakthrough season, but I think he'll emerge as a very good running back with a year of experience under his belt.

Lastly, Quinton Carter. I think he'll either have a break out season or a really disappointing season. Depending on his knee, I expect him to be able to come back 100%. He won the starting SS spot as a rookie and had 2 interceptions in the playoffs. Unless we sign a premiere SS in free agency (Byrd, Phillips, Moore, Chung), I think QC deserves the starting SS position.

Knowshon Moreno. I think 2013 is the year he finally puts it all together, stays healthy, and becomes the every-down RB we thought we were getting with that #12 pick.

Quote Originally Posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
    Kevin Vickerson will break out and be an absolute force in the middle of the defensive line if we re-sign him.

Virgil Green for the same reasons. Green impressed me in his limited receiving reps this season (New Orleans). He definitely earns more snaps involved in the offensive attack.

Ronnie Hillman. Hillman is still a bit raw and has a LOT of room to improve in pass protection. Hillman, early in the season, danced too much in the backfield and wasn't really effective. But as the season wore on, I thought his confidence improved and he was running a lot better. In both Baltimore games, Hillman did a good job of running the football and displayed some of his potential. I don't expect an all-out breakthrough season, but I think he'll emerge as a very good running back with a year of experience under his belt.

Lastly, Quinton Carter. I think he'll either have a break out season or a really disappointing season. Depending on his knee, I expect him to be able to come back 100%. He won the starting SS spot as a rookie and had 2 interceptions in the playoffs. Unless we sign a premiere SS in free agency (Byrd, Phillips, Moore, Chung), I think QC deserves the starting SS position.
    I was very, very tempted to list Quinton Carter. I think he very well may end up complimenting Moore as a SS.

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighInNY View Post
    Knowshon Moreno. I think 2013 is the year he finally puts it all together, stays healthy, and becomes the every-down RB we thought we were getting with that #12 pick.
    For what he did this season, going from the scout team to over 100 yards vs the Ravens I have to give a lot of credit to this guy. However, I've said the same thing about Knowshon since we drafted him....HE CANNOT STAY HEALTHY. I'm sorry, but it is what it is. DMcFadden is a monster. One of the biggest talents in the league, size and speed maybe more than Adrian Peterson, however this guy is always hurt. Knowshon is a solid RB, but we gotta get this guy to drink more milk or something, lol. He doesn't do on purpose of course, but he breaks my heart every year and gets hurt.

You guys may think I'm crazy, but Im going with Rahim Moore. He's probably still not sleeping well over the Ravens game. I'm not even a big fan of his, and this was even before the Ravens debacle. He's a Bronco, so I root for him. I think what happened to him will either destroy him or make him play every snap at 150%. I'm just hoping he takes this offseason and makes it the latter.

Nate "Love Machine" Irving is going to have a huge year this year

Rahim Moore
    I think he goes from being a good player to being one of the elite safeties in the league next year. He was just a step behind on a bunch of big plays this season and I think with this season under his belt he will make those plays next year.

Malik Jackson
    I really liked his potential coming out of the draft. He got playing time sparingly this season. With an offseason under his belt I think he will become a big part of our rotation and start making plays on a consistent basis.

Quote Originally Posted by champ&dreallday View Post
    You guys may think I'm crazy, but Im going with Rahim Moore. He's probably still not sleeping well over the Ravens game. I'm not even a big fan of his, and this was even before the Ravens debacle. He's a Bronco, so I root for him. I think what happened to him will either destroy him or make him play every snap at 150%. I'm just hoping he takes this offseason and makes it the latter.
    I agree 100%. He was a breakout player this season, IMO, but next season it will be another level.

His rookie season, he was handed the job, and failed miserably. He was inactive half the season, and was a non factor. He responded by attacking his weaknesses (like tackling) and making them his strengths. That ability is the best ability a player can have, and Moore has every bit of it.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoooJohnson View Post
    I agree 100%. He was a breakout player this season, IMO, but next season it will be another level.

His rookie season, he was handed the job, and failed miserably. He was inactive half the season, and was a non factor. He responded by attacking his weaknesses (like tackling) and making them his strengths. That ability is the best ability a player can have, and Moore has every bit of it.
    I agree. Moore will rise to another level. I believe his crucial mistake will absolutely drive him to get better and I reckon that he'll be playing with a new motivation and intensity not known to mankind. Just like his tackling last year, I think Moore will fix his coverage woes and become the AFC terror with his hammering, hard-hitting tackles and smart, ball-hawking coverage starting next year and for a decade.

In order for me from big breakout to a breakout from a depth perspective.

Nate Irving - I believe he is our guy for Mike. Biggest breakout player next year.

Derek Wolfe - I think he is going to step it up and put on some more pounds and kick into being our 3-tech. He should also be big when we only run 3 down linemen on passing downs. Depending on how strong and stout he gets he could even potentially play at the 1-tech here and there.

Ronnie Hillman - I think he'll pack on some pounds, have more confidence hitting the hole between the tackles and will show us all the skills he utilized to break Marshall Faulks records at San Diego State.

Danny Trevathan - If there is an injury in the linebacker core I believe Travathan get's the nod. He is also going to be a steady contributor in our nickel as he had been last year.

Virgil Green - Another year and this time he won't be suspended (hopefully) so he should contribute often and early as a versatile blocker and recieving option. More of a power h-back to Tamme's finesse.

Malik Jackson - Depending on if he bulks up and if Wolfe bulks up he could play the 3-tech or outside at DE. I believe he'd be better served bulking up and moving to the 3-tech but he could also push Ayers for the job at DE, this is all assuming Wolfe moves to DT.

Jeremy Beal: Showed a lot of flashes before his injury and should be a contributor in terms of our pass rush. I'm thinking 6 sacks.

Darkhorse: Robert Ayers - It's make or break time for Ayers. I think his attitude has changed now that the spot hasn't just been handed to him. To not only see a rookie that was drafted a round later than you to play DT take your spot at DE just after Jason Hunter took away the job just before that because by all accounts you weren't physical or tough enough coupled with it being a contract year? Well, we all know some players seem to get the lights on when it means the difference between a few million dollars.

Darkhorse #2: Quinten Carter - Pushes both Rahim Moore and Mike Adams for the starting spots at safety. At the very least I believe he gets valuable minutes off the bench keeping a steady rotation of guys so they don't tire out. I also see him being the 1st one called up if there is an injury at safety
    Last edited by Matymaddog; 01-28-2013 at 03:21 PM.

Rahim Moore without a doubt. He was a complete different player this year then he was last year. With another year to learn and improve i think he will be a absolute beast next year. He was Very close to making huge plays this year, Next year i think he makes those plays.

Knowshon Moreno will finally breakout, let's not forget that he started after Mcgahee went down and he did absolutely terrific job, so starting by week one will definitely help.

Derek Wolfe will breakout as well.

Hillman wont breakout because he's a third string at best. Other than his speed which still not elite I don't see anything that warrant a breakout season.

While Rahim Moore made the most boneheaded play in Safety and Franchise's history, he might take that as a motivation and finally show us the player we'd drafted him to be.
    Last edited by FAN4LIFEBRONCOS; 01-28-2013 at 04:02 PM.

Ronnie Hillman - he's flashed and shown some of his ability on the limited opportunities he's gotten, and I thought he stepped in and played big in a big playoff game after Knowshon went down. He's still the youngest player in the NFL and a bit undersized. Fortunately, his frame is nowhere maxed out and I think he can add some weight this offseason to get him over 200lbs and help in shedding tackles + pass protection.

Derek Wolfe - Loved his first year as a rookie and I'll expect a big step from him in his 2nd year with his 'team mule' mentality & more and more emphasis on teams slowing down Von Miller.

Two candidates that I can see as wildcards to step up next year are Omar Bolden and Nate Irving. I loved Bolden's comment about coming back next year to take someone's job and I think he could come in and shine in nickel situations and if one of our starting corners goes down. Also, Irving has had limited action but I like his intensity and I could see him making that step next year.

Also, Virgil Green. He's got high upside and seeing him in the lineup more towards the end of the season was a good sign that he's carving out a role for himself in this lineup. A big training camp from him and I can see him taking away some of Dreesen/Tamme's time in the lineup - especially if injury strikes.
    Last edited by BluenOrnge4Life; 01-28-2013 at 04:21 PM.

@BlueNOrangeFTW

Quote Originally Posted by BluenOrnge4Life View Post
    Ronnie Hillman - he's flashed and shown some of his ability on the limited opportunities he's gotten, and I thought he stepped in and played big in a big playoff game after Knowshon went down. He's still the youngest player in the NFL and a bit undersized. Fortunately, his frame is nowhere maxed out and I think he can add some weight this offseason to get him over 200lbs and help in shedding tackles + pass protection.

Derek Wolfe - Loved his first year as a rookie and I'll expect a big step from him in his 2nd year with his 'team mule' mentality & more and more emphasis on teams slowing down Von Miller.

Two candidates that I can see as wildcards to step up next year are Omar Bolden and Nate Irving. I loved Bolden's comment about coming back next year to take someone's job and I think he could come in and shine in nickel situations and if one of our starting corners goes down. Also, Irving has had limited action but I like his intensity and I could see him making that step next year.
    Which game was that? After Moreno went down the running game was pretty much nonexistent, they shut down Hester and Hillman and we couldn't keep Ravens defense guessing the rest of the game.