Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: The Book Club

I've read eight of Tony Hillerman's Joe Leaphorn/Jim Chee murder mysteries in the past month. Just ten to go.

Read: A Thief of Time; Sacred Clowns; The Fallen Man; The First Eagle; Hunting Badger; The Wailing Wind; The Sinister Pig; Skeleton Man; and, The Shape Shifter.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    I've read eight of Tony Hillerman's Joe Leaphorn/Jim Chee murder mysteries in the past month. Just ten to go.

Read: A Thief of Time; Sacred Clowns; The Fallen Man; The First Eagle; Hunting Badger; The Wailing Wind; The Sinister Pig; Skeleton Man; and, The Shape Shifter.
    I know you dig native american history, so i'll ask: have you read Thom Hatch's book Black Kettle : The Cheyenne Chief Who Sought Peace but Found War ?

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    I know you dig native american history, so i'll ask: have you read Thom Hatch's book Black Kettle : The Cheyenne Chief Who Sought Peace but Found War ?
    I have not. Is it fiction or non-fiction?

OK. I found it. Thom Hatch is an historian.

I will get this. Sand Creek was near where I lived when I went to HS, way upstream of the massacre site. I now live less than 100 miles from Glorieta Pass where Chivington had his greatest victory.

If you like history of the American West, have you read Blood and Thunder by Hampton Sides? It centers on Kit Carson and the Dine (Navajo) from before the Mexican-American War to their return to the land between the four sacred mountains. It concludes with Carson's death at Ft. Lyon.

Thom Hatch's book, The Blue, the Gray and the Red looks good.

Thanks for introducing me to these books!
    Last edited by samparnell; 03-15-2014 at 08:22 AM.

I have not. Is it fiction or non-fiction?

OK. I found it. Thom Hatch is an historian.

I will get this. Sand Creek was near where I lived when I went to HS, way upstream of the massacre site. I now live less than 100 miles from Glorieta Pass where Chivington had his greatest victory.

If you like history of the American West, have you read Blood and Thunder by Hampton Sides? It centers on Kit Carson and the Dine (Navajo) from before the Mexican-American War to their return to the land between the four sacred mountains. It concludes with Carson's death at Ft. Lyon.

Thom Hatch's book, The Blue, the Gray and the Red looks good.

Thanks for introducing me to these books!
    I will likewise check out the ones you've mentioned. I took a Gilded Age class last semester in which we discussed native americans and one of the events was the Battle of Washita River (which is not too far from me) and I became really interested in Black Kettle who seemed like an admirable peace warrior who acknowledged the dire circumstances and attempted to find compromise through peaceful means. That's the only book about him i've been able to find, so hopefully it'll give me a greater insight.

I will likewise check out the ones you've mentioned. I took a Gilded Age class last semester in which we discussed native americans and one of the events was the Battle of Washita River (which is not too far from me) and I became really interested in Black Kettle who seemed like an admirable peace warrior who acknowledged the dire circumstances and attempted to find compromise through peaceful means. That's the only book about him i've been able to find, so hopefully it'll give me a greater insight.
    Custer's tactic was to divide his force in order to prevent natives from escaping the attack. After the action, Custer didn't collect Major Elliot and his detachment who were subsequently wiped out. Captain Benteen never forgave Custer which may partly explain his action, or lack of it at Battle of the Little Big Horn eight years later.

Interesting contrast between Custer (finished last in his class at West point) who got himself and his command massacred, and the illiterate Carson who fought the first Battle of Adobe Walls with a smaller command against as large a force and managed to extract his forces with few losses.

Custer's tactic was to divide his force in order to prevent natives from escaping the attack. After the action, Custer didn't collect Major Elliot and his detachment who were subsequently wiped out. Captain Benteen never forgave Custer which may partly explain his action, or lack of it at Battle of the Little Big Horn eight years later.

Interesting contrast between Custer (finished last in his class at West point) who got himself and his command massacred, and the illiterate Carson who fought the first Battle of Adobe Walls with a smaller command against as large a force and managed to extract his forces with few losses.
    I know very little about Kit Carson, so that is exciting. Love the history of the American West. Is that your favorite era of history to study?

I'm been on a huge history book buying binge lately. Got a couple in today - Lost Prophet: The Life and Times of Bayard Rustin and King: Pilgrimage to the Mountaintop that i'm excited to start. I've got that Blood and Thunder in my amazon cart, as well as a book about James Garfield and a few others. I need to stick to the ones I NEED to read for school

@SOPHIA: I am about halfway through that Hitchcock book. It's like 700 pages, so it's quite a bit of info, but it's great. If you're a Hitchcock fan, I would definitely put it on your to-read list.

I know very little about Kit Carson, so that is exciting. Love the history of the American West. Is that your favorite era of history to study?

I'm been on a huge history book buying binge lately. Got a couple in today - Lost Prophet: The Life and Times of Bayard Rustin and King: Pilgrimage to the Mountaintop that i'm excited to start. I've got that Blood and Thunder in my amazon cart, as well as a book about James Garfield and a few others. I need to stick to the ones I NEED to read for school

@SOPHIA: I am about halfway through that Hitchcock book. It's like 700 pages, so it's quite a bit of info, but it's great. If you're a Hitchcock fan, I would definitely put it on your to-read list.
    The American West is one of my favorites. I taught Classical/Medieval History and American History for years.

American West is where I live: between the two big Western Civil War battlefields (Valverde and Glorieta); near Mt. Taylor, one of the four sacred mountains of the Dine; not too far from Lincoln and Ft. Sumner (Billy the Kid Country); and, Ft. Union on the Santa Fe Trail East of Santa Fe.

The Natives in NM are still pretty much where they were when the Spanish arrived: 19 Pueblos; Navajo land; Mescalero and Jicarilla Apache; and, Comanche/Kiowa land to the East. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by #87Birdman View Post
    So I made it through Words of Radiance, and I will say it was a great book. If you like fantasy you will probably like this series. This book showed great growth of characters including Shallan who I wasn't the biggest fan of in the first book. But while you wished characters would communicate more the reasons for them not fit their characters. The book also had several great parts in throughout the book. Which means now I'm stuck waiting till the next book lol.

**Spoilers**

I will say that I do recommending reading Warbreaker as their is somethings from that book that find their way into this book, but they are minor so not a big deal to read as not much comes in the way of it.

Also the climax I would equate it to the Tower scene on steriods plus some

**End Spoilers**
    I'm midway through part 3. I really didn't like Shallan either until the whole thing with Tyn then it was like "weelllllll, that makes things interesting"

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    I'm midway through part 3. I really didn't like Shallan either until the whole thing with Tyn then it was like "weelllllll, that makes things interesting"
    end of part three is awesome. That is all

Starting reading Name of the Wind earlier this week. Will probably be taking this slower than my last few books otherwise I burn myself out and stop reading for awhile.

Adopted Broncos:
    (2011-2013) Eric Decker
    (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
    (2019-Current) Drew Lock
    Adopted posters:
    Everyone

I love Hillerman. He hasn't had anything new for awhile, though (I don't think). I'll have to check.
    Administrator

#LupusAwarenessMonth

#Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month - Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Right now, this is what I'm reading. It's about what Erin has survived from and her journey to get Erin's Law passed in all 50 states. There's more info in the "Protect Our Children" thread if anyone wants more info.

*2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
    *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
    *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    I love Hillerman. He hasn't had anything new for awhile, though (I don't think). I'll have to check.
    Tony's last Leaphorn/Chee mystery before he passed away (2008) was The Shape Shifter (2006) When he died, the top half of the front page (and page two) of The Albuquerque Journal was devoted to him.

I am reading the sixteenth of his eighteen Navajo Country novels. I'm on Coyote Waits, and will have The Talking God and The Fallen Man left before I start on his non-fiction.

His daughter, Anne, published Spider Woman's Daughter, another Leaphorn/Chee mystery, last year.
    Last edited by samparnell; 04-04-2014 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by #87Birdman View Post
    end of part three is awesome. That is all
    I just finished the 4 vs 1 duel with Andolin it was AAAAAMMMMAAAAZING!! The bad thing is I read about 40 minutes a day max most days so it's slow going. I read on my breaks and lunches. I got part way through the duel today and my last break ended....It was the longest hour in awhile. I ran out to the car to read the rest and see what happened before I left the work parting lot.

Then of course the book went on to introduce a new character instead of continuing the warcamps and I was rather annoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    I just finished the 4 vs 1 duel with Andolin it was AAAAAMMMMAAAAZING!! The bad thing is I read about 40 minutes a day max most days so it's slow going. I read on my breaks and lunches. I got part way through the duel today and my last break ended....It was the longest hour in awhile. I ran out to the car to read the rest and see what happened before I left the work parting lot.

Then of course the book went on to introduce a new character instead of continuing the warcamps and I was rather annoyed.
    Yeah I loved the duel. I ended up power reading through it and spent a coupke days really tired as I was up till like 1-2 in the morning reading. But yeah those interludes tend to take you out of it, but there is some good info in them.

I do love that fight with sezth in the early part also.

Adopted Broncos:
    (2011-2013) Eric Decker
    (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
    (2019-Current) Drew Lock
    Adopted posters:
    Everyone