Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 106
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Appleton, WI
    Posts
    6,221
    Back on topic, why I think Madison is the best college sports town:

    Walking up Regent Street and seeing both sides of the street lined with red as you're walking into Camp Randall.

    Jump Around. Unless you see this in person, you have no idea how awesome it is to see an entire third of a football stadium going crazy. TV and the internet can't do it justice.

    The 5th Quarter by the UW Band.

    The Greatful Red at Badgers basketball games.

    The Crease Creatures at Badger hockey games.



    The student section is like this for the entire game. I would even say that a majority of the fans stay in their seats just to watch the student section between periods.

    Going to the Nitty Gritty and seeing the pictures of local and national celebs that are on the wall.

    State Street. While it's known for its wild Halloween Night party,on regular weekends, the street is shut down to auto traffic and becomes a pedestrian mall with an eclectic mix of shops, restaurants and street performers.

    Just talking to the opposing fans who come to Madison and they will say that it is one of the better places to see a game, along with Columbus Ohio.

    Is Columbus better than Madison? As Wisconsin hockey fans say, "That's debatable."

    Adopted Posters:
    Broncbeat - 80stheman - kmcgough25 - InsaneBlaze 23
    Adopted By:
    Broncoholic JS & 80stheman
    Broncbeat

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    17,179
    Quote Originally Posted by Thors Hammer View Post
    Back on topic, why I think Madison is the best college sports town:

    Walking up Regent Street and seeing both sides of the street lined with red as you're walking into Camp Randall.

    Jump Around. Unless you see this in person, you have no idea how awesome it is to see an entire third of a football stadium going crazy. TV and the internet can't do it justice.

    The 5th Quarter by the UW Band.

    The Greatful Red at Badgers basketball games.

    The Crease Creatures at Badger hockey games.



    The student section is like this for the entire game. I would even say that a majority of the fans stay in their seats just to watch the student section between periods.

    Going to the Nitty Gritty and seeing the pictures of local and national celebs that are on the wall.

    State Street. While it's known for its wild Halloween Night party,on regular weekends, the street is shut down to auto traffic and becomes a pedestrian mall with an eclectic mix of shops, restaurants and street performers.

    Just talking to the opposing fans who come to Madison and they will say that it is one of the better places to see a game, along with Columbus Ohio.

    Is Columbus better than Madison? As Wisconsin hockey fans say, "That's debatable."
    Yes because 20-25 other schools couldn't list off a similar string of great traditions their school has. SMH

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    2,010
    Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    Yes because 20-25 other schools couldn't list off a similar string of great traditions their school has. SMH
    Well I'm going to take Scott Van Pelt and Ryan Russillo's non bias opinion over yours. I mean I'm sure they've actually experienced everything you have and more.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    17,179
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakka27 View Post
    Well I'm going to take Scott Van Pelt and Ryan Russillo's non bias opinion over yours. I mean I'm sure they've actually experienced everything you have and more.
    What makes their opinion non bias and mine bias? You are the one
    in this thread who is massively bias on the situation.

    SVP and Russillo are good analysts but you act like they are the word of god on the situation.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Denver, Colorado, United States
    Posts
    21,840
    Austin. Hands down. Great people, great music, great food and great sports.

    Hooray, beer!

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    5,280
    Posts
    6,568
    Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    I ignored that part of the post?

    No I mentioned several times that this was a discussion on greatest college sports town.

    Not just loyalty and tradition in 1 sport.

    You sir ignored what the thread is about.
    The part where you were wrong about no fans saving their money up to go to Lawrence.
    And the conversation between us started about the traditions and fanbases of basketball schools, not the point of the thread.

    I'm sorry that you feel you have to change the subject when you've lost the argument.
    2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    17,179
    Quote Originally Posted by Houshmazode View Post
    The part where you were wrong about no fans saving their money up to go to Lawrence.
    And the conversation between us started about the traditions and fanbases of basketball schools, not the point of the thread.

    I'm sorry that you feel you have to change the subject when you've lost the argument.
    1. I don't feel like I lost the argument. Don't see anyone else in this thread agreeing with your opinion of Kansas basketball. In fact I believe Jeff chimed in about thinking Duke was better.

    Someone else chimed in that them or Chapel Hill was better.

    2. I didn't change the subject. You did. I was merely getting back on topic for the thread. In case you hadn't noticed that's part of the COC on these boards.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    17,179
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
    Austin. Hands down. Great people, great music, great food and great sports.
    I actually was thinking about this. Austin is probably easily better than Madison.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13,993
    Austin easily better then Madison ? What do you all have against Wisconsin ? I think it is 100% worthy of discussion as the best college sports town. I think it is number 1 and I have no bias at all in this debate. The Madison gameday experience looks amazing. It looks like a load of fun and the atmosphere looks like it is one of the best out there. The jump around thing is awesome and in my opinion is the coolest thing outside of Clemson's "Running down the Hill".

    And for those acting like Yakka is crazy for supporting his school in this debate need to realise this thought is shared by a lot of people. It is one of the schools that is always in the conversation and last season it was voted as the Number 1 College Sports town by USA Today readers. I believe the poll was completed by almost 50,000 people.

    I think this list below is pretty accurate. Atleast the top 4.

    1: Madison, Wisconsin
    2: Athens, Georgia
    3: Austin, Texas
    4: Gainesville, Florida

    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...0/top_ten0916/

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    31,054
    Austin is pretty good. My daughter went there and the atmosphere is packed into a manageable area with many places within walking distance on and near campus. The great number of students who live on and near campus adds to the energy. It's one of the largest universities in the US. The tower turned orange when they beat A&M.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Appleton, WI
    Posts
    6,221
    #1 in a USA Today reader's poll

    #3 in a Forbes poll

    #1 in Sports Illustrated

    #1 in Bleacher Report


    Yeah, i'm waaaaayyyy off base thinking that Madison is the best college sports town.

    Adopted Posters:
    Broncbeat - 80stheman - kmcgough25 - InsaneBlaze 23
    Adopted By:
    Broncoholic JS & 80stheman
    Broncbeat

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    2,010
    Quote Originally Posted by Thors Hammer View Post
    #1 in a USA Today reader's poll

    #3 in a Forbes poll

    #1 in Sports Illustrated

    #1 in Bleacher Report


    Yeah, i'm waaaaayyyy off base thinking that Madison is the best college sports town.
    You're a homer! How dare you!

    Your bias nature makes me sick!

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    17,179
    A little off topic but if you google Americas best college sports town this thread is the 4th and 5th listing.

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    30,170
    i still say its gainesville and like i said before, i hate the gators. i hate them more than the badgers, who i don't hate at all (yet )

    so no bias here.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    24,672
    Depends on how you judge it, but Austin is great. Currently attending UT and it's awesome. 2nd IMO in the US for live music and way up there as well for college party life.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •