Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Formula One

The big story of the 2014 F1 season is the superiority of the Mercedes Power Unit over Ferrari and Renault. Red Bull still has the best chassis, but are at a disadvantage with the Renault Power Unit.

There are good F1 drivers and great ones. There are also some who don't belong in F1. A great car which is substantially better than the competition can make a good driver look great. It can make a bad driver look good.

Sergio Perez doesn't belong in F1, but the Force India with Merc PU makes him look good. His team mate, Nico Hulkenberg is a good driver scoring points in every race. If Pastor Maldonado was in the Force India and Perez was in the Lotus, the results would be the same. Neither belongs in F1.

Vettel and Ricciardo are in the same car, but Daniel is clearly the better driver. Vettel won his championships because his vastly superior car made him look great.

Lewis Hamilton has had to overcome much more adversity than his team mate, who seems to get faster pit stops for some reason. Hamilton is great; Nico is good regardless of who wins the championship.

Fernando Alonso is arguably the best driver on the track right now because he is getting more out of the substandard Ferrari than his team mate, Kimi, who is a very good, maybe great, driver.

It will be interesting to see how McLaren does with the Honda PU in 2015. Maybe Ferrari and Renault will be more competitive then. There are rumors that Cosworth Ford will have a PU for F1 next year.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Lewis Hamilton from 22nd to 3rd in Hungary today. He is easily twice the driver as his teammate, Nico Rosberg who started first and finished fourth. Nice work, Lewis. Now, win the championship.

Vettel to Ferrari

Alonso to McLaren?

Someone has posted a video on youtube of Bianchi's crash. Horrific, there's definitely someone smiling on him if he survives it.

Quote Originally Posted by EvertonBroncos View Post
    Someone has posted a video on youtube of Bianchi's crash. Horrific, there's definitely someone smiling on him if he survives it.
    I recorded the race, but haven't watched it, yet.

Prayers for Bianchi and his family.

We go to Dover (Delaware) for NASCAR races. I think the worst crash I've seen was when Joey Logano crashed in turn 4 (oval) and rolled like 3-4 times. Fortunately, he walked away from it.
    Administrator

#LupusAwareness

Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe --- I adopted: Everyone!

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

It happened when the Safety Car was out, and as a result of trying to remove Sutil's car. Unfortunately, Bianchi went off in exactly the same spot. It was horrible.

F1 is so much safer now that this kind of thing is so shocking when it happens. It is a far cry from the Fifties, Sixties and Seventies when racing drivers were often killed.

The efforts of the Grand Prix Drivers Association have helped to require track safety in F1.

Lewis Hamilton 2014

Update on Michael Schumacher.

Seven-time Formula One world champion Michael Schumacher, who suffered a traumatic brain injury while skiing in France in Dec. 2013, reportedly cries when he hears his family's voices, despite being unable to move or speak, according to reports.

Prayers continue.
    Administrator

#LupusAwareness

Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe --- I adopted: Everyone!

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    Update on Michael Schumacher.

Seven-time Formula One world champion Michael Schumacher, who suffered a traumatic brain injury while skiing in France in Dec. 2013, reportedly cries when he hears his family's voices, despite being unable to move or speak, according to reports.

Prayers continue.
    That's very sad. Jules Bianchi is still unconscious, too.

This thread is making me want to start watching F1 again. I used to love it back in the days of Jackie Stewart. Though I always liked Emerson Fittipaldi.
    I really like Cheese.

Do they still have the Grand Prix in Denver? I went in 2003 and really enjoyed it, but I have not heard much about it lately.

Quote Originally Posted by darth-hideous View Post
    This thread is making me want to start watching F1 again. I used to love it back in the days of Jackie Stewart. Though I always liked Emerson Fittipaldi.
    The Australian Grand Prix is March 15. Beware the Ides of March.

Quote Originally Posted by Rancid View Post
    Do they still have the Grand Prix in Denver? I went in 2003 and really enjoyed it, but I have not heard much about it lately.
    I think that was a CART race. The last one was in 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    I think that was a CART race. The last one was in 2006.
    It might have been a CART race, but I did not see Mario and Luigi. Those guys looked pretty serious and were going pretty fast.

There was big money in getting the contract to weld down the man hole lids along the route and then opening them back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rancid View Post
    It might have been a CART race, but I did not see Mario and Luigi. Those guys looked pretty serious and were going pretty fast.

There was big money in getting the contract to weld down the man hole lids along the route and then opening them back up.
    Indycar still has street races at Long Beach, Detroit and Toronto. The most famous Formula One street race is the Grand Prix de Monaco which has been held every year since 1955.