Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Jonathan Cyprien

Considering we've filled a couple needs through free agency (WR, OG, DT, CB, LB) I think we could go in a million directions with our 1st rounder. And I've seen this kid "mocked" to us quite a few times.

The word on the street is that he was one of the most impressing, if not the most impressing, player at the Senior Bowl. But when I watch film, it doesn't impress me. He is a great "thumper" and he can "lay the wood" but personally, I don't see him as an elite safety at the next level. I think his lack of speed and athleticism will show up at the next level. Also, his aggressiveness when he's in coverage made him extremely vulnerable against play-action. I personally wouldn't take a flier on him until the 2nd round.

What's your opinion on this kid?

I would prefer to choose DJ swearinger in the 2/3 round before cyprien.

I would be shocked if the Denver Broncos drafted a QB in the 1st Round, because they addressed that with 2 acquisitions last year. I'd be shocked if the Denver Broncos drafted a TE in the 1st Rd. because they addressed that with 2 acquisitions last year, and 2 Draft choices the year before.

Likewise, I'd be shocked if the Denver Broncos drafted a Safety after spending a 2nd and a 4th Rd. Draft choice two years ago. The position has been addressed. And since Elway and Fox have already talked about their philosophy of drafting the BPA at a "position of need", I can't imagine that they would take Cyprien even if he was objectively the BPA overall.

Quote Originally Posted by gtown53 View Post
    I would be shocked if the Denver Broncos drafted a QB in the 1st Round, because they addressed that with 2 acquisitions last year. I'd be shocked if the Denver Broncos drafted a TE in the 1st Rd. because they addressed that with 2 acquisitions last year, and 2 Draft choices the year before.

Likewise, I'd be shocked if the Denver Broncos drafted a Safety after spending a 2nd and a 4th Rd. Draft choice two years ago. The position has been addressed. And since Elway and Fox have already talked about their philosophy of drafting the BPA at a "position of need", I can't imagine that they would take Cyprien even if he was objectively the BPA overall.
    Maybe it's a smokescreen, but we have scouted more safeties than any other position at the senior bowl and combine. We are reportedly very high on Cyprien and he is skyrocketing up draft boards. I think the coaching staff definitely sees safety as a big need. Moore is locked in at free safety, but I get the feeling we want a big hitter with coverage skills to pair with him.

I have Cyprien as the 2nd best safety in the draft. He's great when he's in the box, but he also gives you the versatility to run any coverage because he can do it all. His closing speed is terrific and it's going to make him an enforcer over the middle and a threat to run down those go routes on the sideline from a single high coverage. I don't think he's good enough in man coverage to match up with slot WRs, but he can take on those huge athletic TEs. When he's not in the box, he isn't as good at coming up and stopping the run.
    Last edited by beastlyskronk; 03-20-2013 at 12:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gtown53 View Post

The only position that I think is out of the question is QB.

Eifert or Ertz could be the pick at 28. Thomas is a bust, and while Green is seeing more reps, he's doesn't strike me as a game changer TE, at best he will be like Dreesen and Tamme, solid, but not the kind of guy you plan against, Eiffert and Ertz will create mismatches due to their body-build, speed and strength. I would take a guy with the potential to become a Gonzo/Graham-like guy without a doubt. Plus, when Osweiler steps in, having a elite tight end is going to help SO much in his development. So, TE is an option in my opinion. Are you saying that if you had the chance to pick 22-year-old Jimmy Graham or Tony Gonzales you would pass? I really do think that Eifert has a chance to become one of those guys that you game-plan against, add to that the Demaryius Thomas factor, plus Decker, Welker for the next 2+ years, Trindon Holliday, Von Miller and Chris Harris on defense. I would definitely take a flier on one of this guys.

The reason I brought up safety is because, for one, Adams is not a SS and Carter might be facing legal action for his stupidity, even if he dodges jail time, I'm sure the thought of him being cut has crossed Elway's mind. So, again, we could use an upgrade. A guy like Vacarro or Elam would be great. I like my SS to be able to cover, have speed, strength, and lay the wood. Again, a position that, in some people's eyes might not be a glaring need, but could be upgraded.

Agree with an earlier poster, Swearinger in the 2nd or no Safety. Use our 1st on a RB or DE (depending on if Doom comes back, then 2nd on Swearinger.

I'm personally a believer in our TE's. Green is 6'5 and ran a 4.54 40 time. Julius Thomas has been battling injuries his whole career. I'm not saying that these guys will be game changers as much as I'm saying they're good enough for what we need offensively. If you draft a TE do you cut Tamme or Dressen? With Welker in the lineup there's going to be less TE's on the field so to me- MLB and TE- because of how little they will be utilized are not 1st round possibilities.

If I had to pick between a MLB and TE at 28 I'd take the MLB due to our offense being set as it is. I would prefer a safety of defensive lineman if Doom goes. Running back too, but only if Lacy is there.

Quintin Carter may be cut following his potential felony charge, which would leave us with Mike Adams, Leonhard, and Moore. I'm not against trading up for Vacarro if that's the case.
    Last edited by OhBehave30; 03-20-2013 at 03:24 AM.

I don't understand the Swearinger love?

I love Jonathan Cyprien. As a front office member, if he is your BPA that you feel will help you with wins on the field plus helps you with leverage and insurance for future free agency at his position, then it is like a double bonus.

I do think Cyprien provides the option for JDR to not have to go 3 CBs in a nickel look and go 3 safeties vs no huddle teams that have receiving TEs plus have the ability to stop the run without substituting. Cyprien provides that "Star" safety ability, the 3rd safety that can play the run like an LB and hang with the TEs as well.

I have watched quite a bit of tape on this kid and I wasn't all that impressed. I believe we have better talent on the current roster.

Defense wins championships

Quote Originally Posted by ZeusOnEarth View Post
    I don't understand the Swearinger love?
    Flavor of the month. Cyprien is a far superior player.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHorse26 View Post
    I have watched quite a bit of tape on this kid and I wasn't all that impressed. I believe we have better talent on the current roster.
    And what tape did you see? What specifically about his game didn't impress you?

Quote Originally Posted by coloradomedic View Post
    Flavor of the month. Cyprien is a far superior player.
    It's been running on about 4 months now.

Don't understand the Elam love tbh

Want Cyprien or Swearinger.