Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The 2013 NFL Draft

Hello football fans, we are nearing that magical (or diabolical) time once again as the draft is nearly upon us. Without a doubt 2012 was rough for the San Diego Chargers, this is largely due to piss poor drafting and pretty much completely ignoring the offensive line.

OL: LT is a ?, LG is a ?, the center seems to have lost his passion for football as he flirts with retirement every year. RG is a ? and RT is a guy the fanbase and local media have been loathing for about 5 years now and was given far too large a contract.

Other than offensive line, the roster could be worse. Unfortunately the identity our team has been claiming recently is that of a high-powered offense. Something that I believe is rather hard to do when your QB is essentially constantly under siege.

CB: We have 2 young, high pick corners behind Cason and Jammer, so I cannot see taking a CB unless we're going best player available (BPA) in the later rounds.

Safety: Strong Safety is a bit of a ? but we have some young guys who will likely get a chance to play. Hopefully Brandon Taylor is healthy for the start of the season.

Linebacker: We need linebackers, it's as simple as that. Certainly more on the inside than the outside. While important it CANNOT be placed ahead of the OL.

DL: On the DL we will need some depth at DE and NT. We have quality people for starters but we need rotation guys especially at NT.

RB: I am tempted to say we need a RB, with Mathews seemingly made of glass (his collar-bone anyway) and Woodhead always being a bit of an injury risk as he's on the small side. I guess I just find it hard to care about RB's these days. It's RB by committee, why use a high pick on one.

WR: The media love to give San Diego WR's in the first round. I have absolutely no idea why. If anything we have a bit of a log-jam. Floyd, Alexander, Brown (who is hopefully back to 100% after that gruesome injury.) Royal and Meachem. I refuse to believe Meachem is dead money, and Royal can play (when he's healthy). WR is a problem in the value for $ department not because of a lack of personnel.

TE: I would actually put this as a need. Antonio Gates has seemingly been missing since that playoff game against the Titans (I still claim it was a dirty hit). McMichael is finally gone. Ladarius Green our 4th round pick from last year? I'm not even sure he has made it onto the field.

Unfortunately as I look at this year's draft I become rather pessimistic. Unless somebody pulls an "Al Davis" I can see there being no left OT's there at 11 that are worth the pick. Fortunately, I think Warmack could be there if the OT's are gone. My suggestions would be that the Chargers stand firm at #11 and either pick one of four people (Joeckel, Fisher, Johnson or Warmack) or trade down.

I'd say that trading down and BPA should be guiding principles for this draft. Will they get what they want? No, but I think they can find what they need to start rebuilding this team.

-EDIT-

I forgot the TL;DR portion...
    OL,LB,DL,TE
    Last edited by Puddleglum; 04-08-2013 at 01:52 PM.

I'm a huge believer in trading down in this years draft (for any team really) but if the Lane Johnson is there for the Chargers, they have to pull the trigger.

It's extremely obvious that the Chargers biggest need is the offensive line, which is why it's that much more exciting that we signed Luis Vasquez!

Quote Originally Posted by Yakka27 View Post
    I'm a huge believer in trading down in this years draft (for any team really) but if the Lane Johnson is there for the Chargers, they have to pull the trigger.
    It would be a godsend.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakka27 View Post
    It's extremely obvious that the Chargers biggest need is the offensive line, which is why it's that much more exciting that we signed Luis Vasquez!
    Poaching our only other starting caliber player on the OL other than Hardwick was a nasty blow, no doubt about it.
    Last edited by Puddleglum; 04-09-2013 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Cleaning up

Being the regime's first draft, should be an interesting one.

For the record, I now like Cooper more than Warmack. Kenny Vaccaro is going to make some team VERY happy. I'm getting dream scenarios of getting Cooper (I think Warmack could be gone too) in the 1st and Terron Armstead in the 2nd. I know Armstead is supposedly creeping into the 1st, as I said, it's a dream scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddleglum View Post
    For the record, I now like Cooper more than Warmack. Kenny Vaccaro is going to make some team VERY happy. I'm getting dream scenarios of getting Cooper (I think Warmack could be gone too) in the 1st and Terron Armstead in the 2nd. I know Armstead is supposedly creeping into the 1st, as I said, it's a dream scenario.
    It'll most likely be a very "boring" draft for the Chargers that will leave some uneducated fans very disappointed, but if the Chargers can pull a scenario like that out, it would be a very productive first two picks.

Yes, I also think Jonathan Cyprien will be a stud.

Oline is a huge need for the Chargers, but this draft isnt going to solve their problems there. Personally i think Tavon Austin would give them that outlet and playmaker they need. They might be able to trade back a few picks and pick up a middle or future pick. There is even a chance the Chargers could offer a pick for Kuper. Mccoy is familiar with him and despite his injury history, he is a very good player. They might look at him as a possibility as opposed to a second or third tier draft pick.
    However, if one of the top olineman slides theres no doubt they take one at their spot.

DJ FREAKING FLUKER!?!?!? *facepalm*

So the drinking begins...

Maybe this is the screwdriver's talking but I've calmed down a bit. Is he what I wanted? No, but we did NEED starters on that o-line. I don't know where they envision him, but he'll start somewhere.

If the Chargers can get Watson or Armstead in the second round I can begin to look favorably upon this draft.

i didn't see it as that bad of a pick, they pretty much had to pick a linemen and the top guys were already picked over. if they would have went in another direction, even if it was a good value pick, i would have been very concerned with the OL not getting upgraded like it should.

make no mistake, this is a huge upgrade for our OL, we needed him big time.

Sometimes you just gotta do what you have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by baphamet View Post
    i didn't see it as that bad of a pick, they pretty much had to pick a linemen and the top guys were already picked over. if they would have went in another direction, even if it was a good value pick, i would have been very concerned with the OL not getting upgraded like it should.

make no mistake, this is a huge upgrade for our OL, we needed him big time.
    The guy does have a mean streak and that line could use a guy like that.
    Im sure the Chargers were looking to trade back but who knows? I dont think he would have got past Chicago, even if he doesnt fit the same mold as Long does for them.
    The Chargers had to get a starter and they got one, its a solid pick.
    I still think McCoy will push for Kuper when/if he gets cut from Denver. Perhaps even offer up a late rounder this weekend, and that guy is a solid player despite health concerns.

I think the Chargers are doing great......value wise at least.
    Snagging two players who could have gone a rd earlier is pretty good work. Although they still have no line and are not likely to find any gems late.

Quote Originally Posted by atwaterandstir View Post
    I think the Chargers are doing great......value wise at least.
    Snagging two players who could have gone a rd earlier is pretty good work. Although they still have no line and are not likely to find any gems late.
    yeah, we are gonna be in trouble at LT i think. but we sure got a lot of value with our first 3 picks, i will say that. might have to wait until next year to draft a stud LT and just roll with some scrub from FA or the scrub we already have King Dunlap.