Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakka27 View Post
    Sometimes you just gotta do what you have to do.
    congrats on drafting your boy, i know you gotta be stoked.

Quote Originally Posted by baphamet View Post
    congrats on drafting your boy, i know you gotta be stoked.
    I was so excited I could hardly breathe!

Brad Sorensen QB out of Southern Utah was another solid pick. If he would stayed at BYU he easily could have been a day two pick. He has great size and great ability, he just has that "lesser competition" tag hanging around his neck. Had he stayed at BYU and got that national attention he would be much more known.

Having ties to Utah I always root for and take interest in the local guys. Eric Weddle is and always will be one of my favorite football players, and Sorensen had me watching him close this year. Sucks to see them play for SD, but I will always see Weddle in Red, not powder blue.

Quote Originally Posted by atwaterandstir View Post
    Oline is a huge need for the Chargers, but this draft isnt going to solve their problems there.
    You certainly called that one.

i didn't see it as that bad of a pick, they pretty much had to pick a linemen and the top guys were already picked over. if they would have went in another direction, even if it was a good value pick, i would have been very concerned with the OL not getting upgraded like it should.

make no mistake, this is a huge upgrade for our OL, we needed him big time.
    Initial knee-jerk aside...I think you are completely correct. Lotulelei or Vaccaro had to have been tempting, but if we land a good starter, pro-bowl or no, I'd consider that good use of a 1st rounder.

The guy does have a mean streak and that line could use a guy like that.
    Im sure the Chargers were looking to trade back but who knows? I dont think he would have got past Chicago, even if he doesnt fit the same mold as Long does for them.
    The Chargers had to get a starter and they got one, its a solid pick.
    Aside from just seeing how quickly that pick went in, I've been hearing chatter that they didn't even try to trade back from the local sports media. This leads me to thinking they were perfectly happy drafting Fluker. There's nothing wrong in being confident in the pick, it's just the perception and stigma of drafting a ROT at #11...Then again, 2 guards and zero QB's went in the top ten so it's a screwy draft to begin with.

yeah, we are gonna be in trouble at LT i think. but we sure got a lot of value with our first 3 picks, i will say that. might have to wait until next year to draft a stud LT and just roll with some scrub from FA or the scrub we already have King Dunlap.
    The sad thing is, if you ask anyone how the Chargers did in the draft, what they say pretty much seems based solely on their opinion of Manti T'eo. I haven't talked to or read the writing of someone who doesn't like Fluker as a prospect, the controversy is the value at #11 (and when you consider Pugh and Long in the 1st round too...#11 seems like a value pick). Keenan Allen also seems universally loved by the talking heads and fans, the knock on him is his knee/speed. However, Te'o is just a lightning rod. I really didn't pay much attention to whatever the heck that ordeal with him was, thing is in the OP I said that fixing the OL was more important than drafting a LB'er. When you've got as many holes as we do giving up a 4th rounder hurts. Which is a shame because who doesn't love a thumping LB'er? Time will tell who is right on this one, but it just means they will be jettisoning a Mr. Mouton sooner rather than later.

A last note about the draft, it actually went in some ways about as bad as it could go for the Chargers, in the first round and after. Looking for so much help on the O-line is like having a giant "kick-me" sign on your back, it felt like everyone and their mother was trading up to scoop an O-line prospect before the Chargers picked. The Terron Armstead selection by the Saints still burns me...

I can't help but feel the Chargers filled the "wants" checklist and not the "needs." Unfortunately that is a sticking point for me, silly as it is. Despite getting a great haul in talent some part of me refuses to like this draft. Here's to hoping we can find a rough gem or 15 in UDFA.

Brad Sorensen QB out of Southern Utah was another solid pick. If he would stayed at BYU he easily could have been a day two pick. He has great size and great ability, he just has that "lesser competition" tag hanging around his neck. Had he stayed at BYU and got that national attention he would be much more known.

Having ties to Utah I always root for and take interest in the local guys. Eric Weddle is and always will be one of my favorite football players, and Sorensen had me watching him close this year. Sucks to see them play for SD, but I will always see Weddle in Red, not powder blue.
    Not sure why, but I always love rooting for late round QB's.

I thought the Chargers had an OK draft. Some picks I liked, some I didn't.

I had a 2nd round value on Fluker, it looked to me as though SD panicked a little when the top 5 offensive lineman went before 11. He should be a decent RT but surely at #11 they could of got better value and addressed this position in round 2 or 3.

I know they needed OL bad but I prefer drafting value over need. Fluker is similar to Franklin (Denver RT), a mauler who gets to the 2nd level well but struggles with speed rushers. Franklin has improved this as I expect Fluker too with some coaching, but Franklin was drafted in round 2, not #11 overall.

If I'm SD I take Lotulelei, Vaccaro or Jarvis Jones and select a RT later on.

I like the Teo pick, I said pre-draft he was a good fit as a 3-4 ILB and should be a solid tackler and pro.

Keenan Allen was good value and provides another weapon.

I wasn't that high on the 2 Williams. Sorensen has some impressive tools to work with and develop.

The Chargers should jump on the chance to get Brandon Albert from the Chiefs. They will now take a 2014 2nd rounder. I know he has been franchised and his cap hit is 11 million, but if they trade for him and extend him (back loaded) they could prob make it work. Rivers will need to re work his deal sooner or later as he is due 50 mill over the next 3 years. If they dont redo his number and get him some protection he could become a cap casualty down the road. The quarterback position is evolving and if you cant create your own protection with your legs, than you better have at least a few horse up front that are well above average.
    The Chargers could drastically change their team needs if they can find a way to clear the money for Albert.

Not sure if you're still hanging around, but here's my two cents.

Fluker was a bit of a reach, but a solid B pick considering the need. If they could have signed McKinnie it would have been a great pick, but hopefully (for you) they get the rest of that line figured out.

Te'o was a very good pick. He will start for ten years, might not be a great player, but he is a good linebacker.

Keenan Allen is a great pick, also. Rivers needs another aggressive receiver like Jackson was. Allen can be close to that level in time.

Whether it is the theme in San Diego or not, they are not building for 2013. They are building for 2015-2016. They landed 3 as sure as it can get starters in the draft. That's really all you can ask for, as a fan.

To protect their investments, they need to get a John Jenkins type DT to protect Te'o, OL to protect whoever their quarterback may be in a few years, and just add talent, which they did a fine job of this past year.
    Fightin' Texas Aggie c/o '16

Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    I had a 2nd round value on Fluker, it looked to me as though SD panicked a little when the top 5 offensive lineman went before 11. He should be a decent RT but surely at #11 they could of got better value and addressed this position in round 2 or 3.
    This is a fair point and something any football fan will likely wonder about when looking back at this draft. Normally I would agree with you but the Charger O-line was SUCH a wreck that this move actually made a fair amount of sense. Before the draft The Chargers were missing players at LT, both guards spots and everyone loathed J. Clary at ROT anyway. Essentially the Chargers had a center and that was it.

Fluker, believed by most draftnicks as the top RT in the draft will go to RT and push Clary over to guard (a position he has always seemed better suited to in my opinion. We had 4 holes, 1 move and we suddenly have 2 holes to fill. On paper it makes sense, but you and I are all about value for that pick and I respect that. That, like all draft picks in the end will be entirely up to Mr. Fluker. I've been hearing good things out of training camp...but when was the last time you heard "bad" things about your teams newly signed 1st rounder?

The Chargers should jump on the chance to get Brandon Albert from the Chiefs. They will now take a 2014 2nd rounder. I know he has been franchised and his cap hit is 11 million, but if they trade for him and extend him (back loaded) they could prob make it work. Rivers will need to re work his deal sooner or later as he is due 50 mill over the next 3 years. If they dont redo his number and get him some protection he could become a cap casualty down the road. The quarterback position is evolving and if you cant create your own protection with your legs, than you better have at least a few horse up front that are well above average.
    The Chargers could drastically change their team needs if they can find a way to clear the money for Albert.
    For the record, at the time of writing Max Starks has now signed with the Chargers. However it is rare that another team in the same division will trade players, it just is. Don't get me wrong, the teams have no problem scooping up each others' trash once the player has been jettisoned in some way. When you trade picks though, you could just be "feeding the beast" and considering how much money is on the line you can't blame them for wanting to avoid it.

That said, the Chargers are so tight on $ right now and Philip Rivers has offered to rework his deal, multiple times if the stories are to be believed but for whatever reason the brass does not want to do that. You are correct though, Max Starks better be able to play because Rivers is a tree back there.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoooJohnson View Post
    Not sure if you're still hanging around, but here's my two cents.
    Oh I'm always lurking in some dark corner of these Broncos messages boards muttering to myself...Sometimes I play sudoku, but I usually just mutter.

Fluker was a bit of a reach, but a solid B pick considering the need. If they could have signed McKinnie it would have been a great pick, but hopefully (for you) they get the rest of that line figured out.
    After Max Starks it seems like they are well on their way. I don't like talking about it though, it only gets my hopes up.

Te'o was a very good pick. He will start for ten years, might not be a great player, but he is a good linebacker.
    Te'O is certainly the most enigmatic of the bunch, but I'm already sick of people comparing him to Seau in any way.

Keenan Allen is a great pick, also. Rivers needs another aggressive receiver like Jackson was. Allen can be close to that level in time.
    Allen was totally off my radar...Any WR's would have been as I looked over prospects according to what I thought the positions of need were and as you can see in a post above WR was not among them. He is the guy I know the least about and so has the best opportunity to surprise me.

Whether it is the theme in San Diego or not, they are not building for 2013. They are building for 2015-2016. They landed 3 as sure as it can get starters in the draft. That's really all you can ask for, as a fan.

To protect their investments, they need to get a John Jenkins type DT to protect Te'o, OL to protect whoever their quarterback may be in a few years, and just add talent, which they did a fine job of this past year.
    I hope you're right I really do, but after year after year of bad drafts we here in San Diego would just actually like to land some talent capable of starting...and starting today, not in 4 years.

As for Keenen Allen and the whole Raider hat thing, the kid is an anarchist, he likes stirring the pot. (as evidenced below)