Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Final Cut

The Final Cut

Always good to start a draft thread with a Pink Floyd reference...

OK, it's the final Friday before the draft, and I have done all the research I am going to do. Here is my final take on the Broncos draft:

1)
    My Pick: DT Johnathan Jenkins. Georgia 6'3"-346
    My hope is that Elway will continue on the same path of bringing in the big bodies, as he has with Orlando Franklin, Terrance Knighton and Louis Vasquez. Adding Jenkins to the Broncos d-line would make them one of the most formidable defensive interiors in the NFL. Jenkins, Knighton and Vickerson would be the most physically imposing DT's in Broncos history.

Jenkins is a freakish athlete for his size, and is not just a big, fat, lazy guy. In fact, he is praised for his effort. A beastly interior DT transforms your defense.

What I think Elway will do: DE Tank Carradine, Florida St 6'4"-275
    The Broncos will have painted themselves into a corner if they don't sign Dwight Freeney or John Abraham. Carradine would have gone much higher if healthy, and with Ayers in the mix, Carradine can work his way in as recovers.

Best Value: CB DJ Hayden, Houston 5'11"-191 or CB Jamar Taylor, Boise St 5'11"-192. Both of these players have a chance to be Pro Bowl corners, and I have a feeling DJ Hayden is going to go much higher than 28 now.

Wild Card: WR Justin Hunter, Tennessee 6'4"-200
    Hunter is very talented, and has been compared to AJ Green, and with his Tennessee ties....just sayin

I also think its 50/50 the Broncos will trade down into the early part of the second round just as they did last year, and add another pick in the 4th round

2)
    My pick: C/G Barrett Jones, Alabama 6'4"-306
    JD Walton is recovering from a serious knee injury and will be a free agent after next season when they have Zane Beadles as a free agent at the same time.

Jones is a perfect fit for the Broncos, and can also play OG. He will play and eventually start for the next decade, and will be an excellent NFL center.

Elway knows the value of an excellent C as much as anyone, and I think he will invest in the position. Jones is a quick study and could start by seasons end, if necessary

If he falls: DE Damontre Moore, Texas A&M 6'5"-250
    Moore is a 20 year old kid that has free fallin' from the top five to somewhere in the second round. If the Broncos go in a different direction in the first round, ala CB, and if Moore is there when they pick in the second, Moore is the pick.

Don't be surprised: OLB Sean Porter, Texas A&M 6'1"-230
    Porter is a very good cover LB that originally was better known as an outside pass rusher. He obviously would have a comfort level with Von Miller, and would be another athletic, versatile LB that can rush the passer as well.

3)
    RB Stepfan Taylor, Stanford 5'10"-214
    It seems too obvious, but in the end, I don't think the Broncos will go Montee Ball or Le'Veon Bell in the second round, and who better than Elway would recognize what Taylor brings to the table as a football player? I don't think Taylor will fall all the way to the Broncos in the 4th, so if they want him, they will need to take him here.

If the Broncos do go RB earlier: DB Sanders Commings, Georgia 6'0"-218
    The Broncos have had a lot of trouble covering TE's last season, and a hybrid DB like Commings that has played a lot of corner would make sense for the Broncos.

4)
    QB Sean Renfree, Duke 6'3"-220
    For those of you that are going to complain about the Broncos taking a QB, I say to you: Get over it, because Elway is going to take another QB.

Why you say? Because a) the Broncos only have two QB's on their roster, b) Elway believes you invest in the most important position on the football team, and c) a rookie QB is the best solution for the salary cap.

Also, what QB is the most obvious, but that no one is connecting the Broncos?
    Let's see, plays at Duke, coached by David Cutcliffe, Peyton's college coach....do you think Renfree was hanging around some of PFM's workouts on the Duke campus??

I think Renfree is going to be a Bronco.

5)
    WR Rodney Smith, Florida St 6'5"-225
    At some point, the Broncos will take another WR, and why not take a guy that would at least present matchup problem?

7)
    RB DJ Harper, Boise ST 5'9"-212
    Harper is another under-rated Boise St player. This kid runs tough, and is a productive, solid football player...and with McGahee, Moreno and Ball possibly playing their last seasons in Denver, and with Jeremiah Johnson having served his last year he can on the practice squad, the Broncos will have to add a couple of RBs

Un-drafted free agent signees: DE Josh Williams, Kansas 6'5"-257. The Broncos look to hit the trifecta with free agent Jayhawks. Chris Harris, Steven Johnson, Josh Williams....and he's not just a novelty, Williams can rush the passer.

DT Mike Purcell, Wyoming 6'3"-305
    A Denver boy comes home, and has a chance to stick on the practice squad

ILB Greg Blair, Cincinnati 6'1"-251
    A big, physical presence at LB that could make an impact on special teams

OK, that's a wrap...
    Last edited by Idiot_Kicker; 04-19-2013 at 10:28 PM.

I like most of it bu thats just my opinion for example I'm not a big Jenkins or Carradine fan but I definetly can see them being picked. The wildcard for Justin Hunter is something I really like

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bronc View Post
    I like most of it bu thats just my opinion for example I'm not a big Jenkins or Carradine fan but I definetly can see them being picked. The wildcard for Justin Hunter is something I really like
    Jenkins has the upside to be an incredible force at DT, and Carradine is a tremendous physical specimen that works his ass off. I like them both, although you would have to be a little concerned about Carradine's knee

Yeah, Hunter would be the Broncos move to say, 'we're going to go ahead and just give Peyton all the weapons we can', and just try to dominate on offense

If we are going to take a QB as early as the 4th round, there has to be someone better than Renfree available....

-Tyler Wilson
    -Tyler Bray
    - Matt Scott
    - Landry Jones

One of those guys has to be available in the 4th right??

ಠ◡ಠ ⊙▃⊙ ಠ_ಠ ಠ~ಠ ಥ_ಥ
    Love the Jenkins pick obviously. He is a pocket destroyer and a crazy athlete. There's not a lot of hype around him though... I think we could move down into the early second and pick up a pick and still get him. I really hope we do get him though, pairing him with Knighton would be cool. With JDR coaching I see shades of Stroud/Henderson from the Jags heyday.

The only thing I don't like about your draft is no DE. We need a pass rush supplement to try and make up for Doom. The illusion that we have the answer already on the roster is nice, but we need more options, especially if we have dreams of keeping Wolfe on the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by theMileHighGuy View Post
    Love the Jenkins pick obviously. He is a pocket destroyer and a crazy athlete. There's not a lot of hype around him though... I think we could move down into the early second and pick up a pick and still get him. I really hope we do get him though, pairing him with Knighton would be cool. With JDR coaching I see shades of Stroud/Henderson from the Jags heyday.

The only thing I don't like about your draft is no DE. We need a pass rush supplement to try and make up for Doom. The illusion that we have the answer already on the roster is nice, but we need more options, especially if we have dreams of keeping Wolfe on the inside.
    Agreed. I would like to see us grab John Simon in the second

Quote Originally Posted by InElwayWeTrust View Post
    If we are going to take a QB as early as the 4th round, there has to be someone better than Renfree available....

-Tyler Wilson
    -Tyler Bray
    - Matt Scott
    - Landry Jones

One of those guys has to be available in the 4th right??

No way Scott or Wilson fall to the bottom of the 4th, IMO. I also doubt Jones will be there, but maybe. Bray may be there, but there are questions about his character and commitment to football, so I would think that would rule him out.

Where I have Renfree projected is about where he will go. Mayock, for example, has said he is a sleeper NFL teams like.

Take that for what its worth.

Osweiler was largely selected due to the Broncos having good inside info on him, the same should be true with Renfree considering the Duke connection.
    Last edited by Idiot_Kicker; 04-20-2013 at 05:07 AM.

A lot of reaches in this draft IMO. Jenkins and Jones are being talked about now as a 3rd or 4th round selection and Taylor as a 4th or 5th round RB. I agree with your selection of D J Haqyden and Jamar Taylor as best value picks. IMO they will both be all-pro someday soon.
    Thanks for sharing this mock with us.

Taking a QB in the fourth round would be beyond stupid. Typically you look for someone who can contribute as a role player and msy one day grow into a starter. Ex: Kuper, Doom, Q. Carter... probably leaving some out but seriously, you just had us drafting a third string Qb there. Wow...

I love Jenkins at 28. Dude is sky-rocketing the Draft boards right now, gotta snatch him up before the 49ers do.

Jones in the second is also a good idea, I would be fine with Jones or Moore.

Stepfan Taylor is a great all-around back. Wish he was a bit faster, but he brings everything he needs to thrive in our offense.

Renfree is a good specimen/project. Though, I believe he can be taken in round 5 no problem.

Overall not bad. I like that you believe DT is the biggest need, since everyone around here think's CB is the biggest need. I agree that Hayden and Taylor are the best values, but it is not the biggest need. We do need to pick up a CB though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kansas Bob View Post
    A lot of reaches in this draft IMO. Jenkins and Jones are being talked about now as a 3rd or 4th round selection and Taylor as a 4th or 5th round RB. I agree with your selection of D J Haqyden and Jamar Taylor as best value picks. IMO they will both be all-pro someday soon.
    Thanks for sharing this mock with us.
    There is absolutely NO WAY Jenkins lasts to the 3rd round. He may slip into the second round, but wont last pick pick #50, count on it. I also think the same about Jones, he's just too good. Unless there are still concerns about him medically, he's a solid 2nd round pick. Taylor is a bit of a wildcard, but I believe the Broncos are going to have to reach a bit for a RB simply because so many of the top RB's are smaller backs as Hillman was, so their shopping list appears to be shorter.

I love Montee Ball, but I am not sure he will be there at the bottom of the second round. Bell seems to be a bit too one dimensional, and players like Ellington are what Hillman is.

I also think Christine Michael could end up being the RB selection in the 3rd if he can overcome the attitude concerns that surround him. He got into his coaches doghouse at A&M, and turned others off at the combine
    Last edited by Idiot_Kicker; 04-21-2013 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hardcorebronco View Post
    Taking a QB in the fourth round would be beyond stupid. Typically you look for someone who can contribute as a role player and msy one day grow into a starter. Ex: Kuper, Doom, Q. Carter... probably leaving some out but seriously, you just had us drafting a third string Qb there. Wow...
    It's pretty clear the Broncos are going to take a QB, so I am just being realistic

I really don't like Stepfan Taylor as a prospect outside of the 5th. He's like Joseph Addai 2.0 or a better Lance Ball. Jack of all trades master of none. If we want a RB on day 2 or 3 than can rub, catch and block I'd go with Lonnie Pryor. In limited carries he's shown more game changing ability from a second gear, vision and power running perspective

Quote Originally Posted by Matymaddog View Post
    I really don't like Stepfan Taylor as a prospect outside of the 5th. He's like Joseph Addai 2.0 or a better Lance Ball. Jack of all trades master of none. If we want a RB on day 2 or 3 than can rub, catch and block I'd go with Lonnie Pryor. In limited carries he's shown more game changing ability from a second gear, vision and power running perspective
    I disagree. You're talking about a player that was tremendously productive and always showed up in big games and ran tough between the tackles. He also had several games where he slugged it out with 30 plus carries. His build at 5'10"-215 lends itself to the durability he will need. His tape clearly validates himself as a 3rd round pick. His timed speed wasn't great, but then neither was Alfred Morris, but he did OK, and I like Taylor over him and they are similar in terms of physical build.

Ideally, I would like to see the Broncos trade out of the first round and add a 4th, and take Taylor there, as I am willing to bet he wont last to their pick in the 4th round.

But you talk about smarts, toughness, durability, versatility, pass catching skills, blocking ability and being coached in an NFL program, Taylor has it all. He just as a little bit too slow of a 40 time. But he is a very good football player, and when I evaluate all of the available RB's, I keep coming back to him because they all have question marks. The questions is, who do you take and where?
    Last edited by Idiot_Kicker; 04-21-2013 at 09:07 AM.

Jenkins would be an interesting pick, obviously we like our size and with DTs and I fear for all-you-can-eat businesses. That said I think we go elsewhere with the first pick, and I think a guy like Brandon Williams could be a guy of similar ability in around the 3rd. I honestly think we will trade back, because teams will be trying to move back up for a QB. I think Buffalo and Nassib is a logical connection, as well as Barkley and Arizona. I really like the options at number 2, Barrett is extremely versatile, and has excelled at every position, plus he has yet to play a single position for more than a year and is still dominant, whoever gets jones will get a very good-elite starter for the next decade. I really think there is a strong chance that Damontre ends up having his name called for us. We have shown before we are willing to take young guys, ie Moore, and he could develop into a stud. One of his red flags have been immaturity, but reuniting him with Von I feel we could put those questions to bed. I think that if we do select him, we still sign a vet like Freeney or Abraham to give Moore time to develop at first. I agree that Taylor is taken high, but he won't last until our 4th, ideally we'd trade back a tad and snag him. I love the Renfree pick, coming from Cutcliff and Duke he is one of the most intelligent QBs in the draft. He will consistently push Brock, and be to Oz what Kubiak was to Elway. That said he has the ability to be a starter. After that I don't particularly like or hate the latter two picks.