Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Vikings

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    Perhaps some of my confusion is not quite knowing where the line in the sand is drawn between fiction and non fiction. I'm ok with them straying a lot from historical facts if they've run out of source material to use. I'd be more on board with Lagertha winning at this point even if it's not real.

Also the point you made that I'm quoting here I was also wondering myself. Although I was more wondering if Floki discovered Iceland not America. Or maybe that had already happened in an earlier season and I forgot? But aren't the Vikings the ones that got confused and mixed up the names of Iceland and Greenland?
    Hrafna-Floki Vilgertharson aka "Raven" Floki settled Iceland in the late 9th century.

Erik Thorvaldsson aka Erik "the Red" was exiled (nithing) from Iceland in the late 10th century. He sailed West and established settlements in Greenland. He called it Greenland as an advertising tool to get people (like Thorfinn Karlsefni) to come.

Thorfinn Karlsefni and Leif Eriksson both established short lived settlements in North America aka Vinland.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Thorfinn Karlsefni and Leif Eriksson both established short lived settlements in North America aka Vinland.
    Which means Columbus wasn't the first. Yet nobody wants to recognize it. They've found Viking a longhouse buried underground in Newfoundland I'm pretty sure, along other evidence.

I was so excited when that girl stabbed Ivar straight through the heart and was foolishly wondering how they were going to save him out of this one.

Then he woke up from his nightmare and I cried.

Quote Originally Posted by ELWAY421 View Post
    Which means Columbus wasn't the first. Yet nobody wants to recognize it. They've found Viking a longhouse buried underground in Newfoundland I'm pretty sure, along other evidence.
    Historians recognize it. Those who don't must not be familiar with the history and archeology on the subject. I've known of it most of my adult life. The Newfoundland site is at L'Anse aux Meadows.

A good book on Viking westward exploration and settlement is Westviking by Farley Mowat. Magnus Magnusson also wrote on the subject.
    Last edited by samparnell; 12-06-2018 at 01:46 PM.

I was so excited when that girl stabbed Ivar straight through the heart and was foolishly wondering how they were going to save him out of this one.

I'm with you. Ivar sucks. Death to Ivar.

I agree. I can't wait until Ivar is gone.

FTR Ragnar is Bjorn's father! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by ELWAY421 View Post
    I agree. I can't wait until Ivar is gone.

FTR Ragnar is Bjorn's father! Lol
    I figured he was. I assumed Rollo was just screwing with Legertha.