Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Vikings

Quote Originally Posted by baphamet View Post
    i meant the show wasn't totally historically accurate.
    The history is based mostly on The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle commissioned by Alfred. There are other sources including one in Latin and some parts of Norse Sagas. The sources aren't all complete and don't totally agree. Such is the nature of Classical/Medieval History.

What was mentioned in the previous post was just generally where the story is going. Ragnar will die in Northumbria and his sons will launch a vengeance attack which turns into a full-fledged Viking invasion of Anglo-Saxon England. Wessex survives under Alfred's leadership, and he launches a Reconquista which succeeds in uniting England about a hundred years later.

The show includes some questionable connections like Rollo aka "Hrolf the Ganger", Harald Finehair, Lagertha the Shield Maiden and others. The attempt to include significant aspects of the Viking Age is commendable and colorful, but not always chronologically correct. Norse Sagas were like that, too, so the flavor seems authentic.

The Saxon Tales by Bernard Cornwell are good historical novels of the same period. The Last Kingdom is a TV series broadcast on BBC America based on Cornwell's novels. The first season was last year, and a second season for this year has been announced.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Nooooooo!!! Not this soon Ragnar!!

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    Nooooooo!!! Not this soon Ragnar!!
    I was searching the board for a thread about Vikings yesterday. I figured if it hadn't been bumped or created, then nobody cares lol. I agree, it was too soon and it felt rushed. I guess Odin and Ivar the Boneless will be quickly developed characters. The hole that's left will be hard to fill.

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    Finally got caught up on season three in time for season four next month.

I felt it was a bit all over the place this season and not as good as seasons 1 and 2. But still felt it was a great season.

Also told my wife they wouldn't kill Ragnar and called it being a Trojan horse. This show is about Ragnar. You kill him what do you have? Just a bunch of angry Vikings with no story?
    I guess we're going to find out lol
    Anonymity is cowardice, and cowards are not known for their wisdom.

Next they'll probably have The Great Heathen Army.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Next they'll probably have The Great Heathen Army.
    Yeah I figured there was probably some other folklore material I don't know about that they can use.

Just doesn't seem as exciting now with Ragnar gone.

I've been wanting to watch this series for some time. I basically watched 3 and half seasons in a couple of weeks, and it didn't disappoint. Stellar, right up there with Game of Thrones imo. Looking forward to watching the second half of season 4 even though Ragnar gets killed off.

I did some reading up on some of the actual facts about these stories and I read it was actually Bjorn who faked his own death to get into the city of Paris, along with some other interesting stuff. Great show.

Season Five just started the other day. Anybody watching?
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Season Five just started the other day. Anybody watching?
    Team Bjorn Ironside. I can't get behind Ivar the Boneless or King Harald.

To me the show isn't the same without Ragnar but I still enjoy it.

Lagertha's days are number, but they better not kill off Bjorn.

I am liking it... Ragnar was pretty epic but I am liking the "game of Thrones" going on this season
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

I'm all caught up with this show and have been enjoying it.

It took some getting used to a few creative liberties that they took with exotic haircuts and tattoos (I mean the cast looks like half the guys down at the gym, or at the local high school ) but to be fair, we don't know for sure how they might have styled their hair or marked their bodies because there was no "Michelangelo" living in Scandinavia making realistic depictions of this culture so I've just rolled with it. I'm sure they are trying to make it appeal to a wider, younger market with some of that stuff. But when Astrid appeared, that was too far as she looked like she just stepped out of a Manhattan boutique and should be running an avante-garde art gallery somewhere!

I don't miss Ragnar, I thought his character was, for the most part, a friggin' moron. I miss Ecbert and Athelstan, those were more complex and interesting characters to me, well-written and acted. I generally root for Bjorn and the lovely and very desirable Lagertha. Kathyrn Winnick may actually have Viking ancestors as she is ethnically Ukrainian, and the Vikings had penetrated all the way down to the Black Sea in the tenth century.

Season 5 is another double order and the second half of it will aire sometime this year. Oddly, there is no date for that.
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by LynchMobster View Post
    I'm all caught up with this show and have been enjoying it.

It took some getting used to a few creative liberties that they took with exotic haircuts and tattoos (I mean the cast looks like half the guys down at the gym, or at the local high school ) but to be fair, we don't know for sure how they might have styled their hair or marked their bodies because there was no "Michelangelo" living in Scandinavia making realistic depictions of this culture so I've just rolled with it. I'm sure they are trying to make it appeal to a wider, younger market with some of that stuff. But when Astrid appeared, that was too far as she looked like she just stepped out of a Manhattan boutique and should be running an avante-garde art gallery somewhere!

I don't miss Ragnar, I thought his character was, for the most part, a friggin' moron. I miss Ecbert and Athelstan, those were more complex and interesting characters to me, well-written and acted. I generally root for Bjorn and the lovely and very desirable Lagertha. Kathyrn Winnick may actually have Viking ancestors as she is ethnically Ukrainian, and the Vikings had penetrated all the way down to the Black Sea in the tenth century.

Season 5 is another double order and the second half of it will aire sometime this year. Oddly, there is no date for that.
    You are the first person I've come across that didn't like Ragnar.

Quote Originally Posted by ELWAY421 View Post
    You are the first person I've come across that didn't like Ragnar.
    Travis Fimmel did a fine job acting the character, and as the main protagonist I couldn't help but root for him a little, but the way the character was written with so many stupid decisions/indecisions and moves from beginning to end was just painful to watch and had me slapping my forehead and rolling my eyes a lot.
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by LynchMobster View Post
    Travis Fimmel did a fine job acting the character, and as the main protagonist I couldn't help but root for him a little, but the way the character was written with so many stupid decisions/indecisions and moves from beginning to end was just painful to watch and had me slapping my forehead and rolling my eyes a lot.
    His character did make some dumb decisions, but he made some great decisions as well. "We are going to lift the boats up, and carry them over there" . Lol.... He got the Vikings into France. He basically planned out his own death which lead to the defeat of Wessex and Umbria.

The interactions he had with Ecbert especially in the final season were stellar imo. I don't think Vikings were scholars lol, but Ragnar was great.

I read they were originally supposed to kill Ragnar off in season two, but with what Fimmel did with the character they really couldn't. I still like the show a lot, but it's missing something now, and no it's not just Ragnar, it's Ecbert, and others as well.