Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bills fan here: thoughts on EJ Manuel?

After a couple of long, painful, laughable years, the Ryan Fitzpatrick era came to an end in Buffalo. The Bills went out and drafted their new QB of the future but it definitely wasn't who anyone expected. The Bills shook the entire draft up and took EJ Manuel out of Florida State at pick 16, a pick that left me speechless and unsure after. I have warmed up to the pick for sure and definitely am going to support Manuel 100% but as fans of another team, I want some outside unbiased opinions.

Manuel is a huge man, built a lot like Big Ben from the Steelers. He's got a strong arm and is quite mobile but is considered a project. If coached correctly, his talent combined with his athleticism could easily make him the best QB in this draft and a star in the league, in my of course bias Bills fan opinion.

Did the Bills make a decent move here? Do you think he can be the future? Is his potential worth the risk?
    "Something special is about to go down and I want to be a part of it." - FJ

I think it was a solid pick. He has the arm to throw there in Buffalo which is greatly needed in that stadium. You guys also got 2 WR to help pick up that offense. It looks like you are moving in the right direction to me.

i like the risk they took by taking EJ. Took a lot of guts. It depends on the coaching staff and how they fit him in the offense. If they can build an offense that hes comfortable in like Shanny did with RG3 by combining Baylors offense with his own then I'll say Bills are in good shape. A playmaker like Spiller helps. Having great route runners like Woods and Johnson also help. Although I think Wheaton couldve been the better pick if Bills wanted a speedy WR. But i guess i see why they took Goodwin, maybe his potential in the slot and return.

I liked the pick, your team needed a QB and he was there to take. Why kick yourself later down the road because you opted for draft position value over real need.
    I think you got it right with a comparison to big ben. Not the same kind of player of course, but both strong big guys who will rely on their strength and ability to get them out of a jam.....even if it means taking a hit. I would much rather have a guy like that than a guy who crumbles at the first sign of pressure like Rivers shows at times or like Orton would do.
    This league is becoming more and more an athletic QB driven league, your team is only following suit. Also drafting him early gives him self confidence and pride that he can use to his benefit. Geno Smith on the other hand now has to overplay his draft position, it could be an explosive situation in NY.

The Bills confuse me with their drafts. Why EJ? I don't think he is any good. Not very accurate. I would have thought that they would have drafted Geno or even Barkley before EJ. Just mo.

Definitely a risk, but it reminds of the Jake Locker and Christian Ponder picks, and the jury is still out on those.

If the Bills are building an read option team, they are having one hell of a draft doing so.

Hey, Bills got 1 player featured on Sports Science in E.J.Manuel, and the Broncos got 1 featured on it too, Sylvester Williams. So, I think it will all work out eventually.

Just give Brady and those Pats enough competition out there because we all know the Jets are going to play like an expansion team.

Test the Patriots secondary because I don't think they really improved much. What is the point in gaining all those picks when the talent level is much lesser later when most CBs and WRs are gone? Patriots blew one in missing out on Keenan Allen but the Chargers did not miss on him.

I can see a few Superbowls in the Bills future now. But all seriousness, I think Manuel is alright. I'm excited to see Manuel vs Geno battle it out over the years. I hope both QB's turn out to be very good.

Manuel has a lot of talent, but he tends to force throws. There are QB's that do that. He's like Cam Newton, but I like Manuel better than I did Newton when he was drafted.

I like him, but I think he could've easily been there in the 2nd

E.J. Manuel was one of the best picks in the 1st round IMO. The Bills did exactly what they had to do to have a chance to be competitive. And they did it after trading down to have more picks. Their only chance is to find a franchise QB. There would be no reward without risk. Manuel is one of the smartest QBs in this group and probably the one with the highest upside. The Bills got an All-Academic QB that comes from a pro-style offense and has superior physical attributes. They can build any kind of offense around him. I think it's totally worth the risk.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Not too sure of it to be honest.

E.J. Manuel has all the physical tools to be a great QB, but much like our QB we selected in the second round last year Brock Osweiler, he shouldn't be put into an immediate starting situation. He needs time to develop and sit on the sidelines for a year or two, much like Aaron Rodgers or better yet Colin Kaepernick.

Excellent pick. I was praying that EJ would come out last year when he would have been miles under the radar. Then the Broncos would have had a 2nd Rd. Pick that they could have spent on a player who could actually contribute to the team.

It's interesting that while things worked out great for EJ, they've worked out horribly for the other top-rated QBs like Barkley, Nassib, Glennon, and Landry Jones. I suspect Barkley and Jones would have been 1st or 2nd day Picks last year. Even Geno Smith suffered.

I think the pick is good, I didn't know much about EJ but after watching him with Gruden I like his IQ and he seems willing to put in the work.
    DENVER STAND UP!!!