Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

when do you know you are ready to marry your other half?

been with my Girlfriend for 2 years best 2 years of my life and theres always talks of marriage floating around between us don't get me wrong i love her to bits but do you ever really know for sure if you want to commit yourself to one person for 50+ years?

need the wiser gentlemen to tell me how it is pleassse

I was with my wife for one year, proposed to her after our 1 year anniversary, engaged for two years, and married 3 years after we met. I knew she was the one for me because she changed my life. I went from a college jock, who drank, partied hard, and just lived life like there was no tomorrow into a college athlete, who focused on academics, family, and living a positive life style. We have been together for 11 years now and after 8 years of marriage with two beautiful children, careers, etc. I wouldn't change a thing.

Now you seem to have some hesitation on the commit to a person for 50+ years, comment, but hey if you have lived a certain life style there is always an amount of uncertainty. Was I scared? Yes. Was I worried about the success of it? Yes and still am everyday, but did I know she was the one for me? Absolutely. I knew after spending a whole summer with her, that she was the one for me.

You will know when the time is right because you will feel it inside. Don't just do it because it is brought up or all your friends are doing it, but because you know that you have no doubts of spending eternity with your bride. Until those doubts are gone... well don't put a ring on it.

Just my $0.02 and best of luck!
    The Bronco fan pledge;
    I am a Broncos Fan and I believe
    I believe in Mile High Magic and bleed Orange and Blue.
    I celebrate the Orange Crush, The Drive, and the Mile High Salute.
    I create the THUNDER, share the common dream, and will forever be a proud citizen of
    Bronco's Country.

***Adopt a Bronco is Chris Harris, Jr.***

Adopt a Poster AZ Snake Fan & SecondsAway131

Quote Originally Posted by 100%Broncoholic View Post
    I was with my wife for one year, proposed to her after our 1 year anniversary, engaged for two years, and married 3 years after we met. I knew she was the one for me because she changed my life. I went from a college jock, who drank, partied hard, and just lived life like there was no tomorrow into a college athlete, who focused on academics, family, and living a positive life style. We have been together for 11 years now and after 8 years of marriage with two beautiful children, careers, etc. I wouldn't change a thing.

Now you seem to have some hesitation on the commit to a person for 50+ years, comment, but hey if you have lived a certain life style there is always an amount of uncertainty. Was I scared? Yes. Was I worried about the success of it? Yes and still am everyday, but did I know she was the one for me? Absolutely. I knew after spending a whole summer with her, that she was the one for me.

You will know when the time is right because you will feel it inside. Don't just do it because it is brought up or all your friends are doing it, but because you know that you have no doubts of spending eternity with your bride. Until those doubts are gone... well don't put a ring on it.

Just my $0.02 and best of luck!
    thank you very good advice it's not like im being pressured or anything or its cool cause all my friends are doing it but the longer im with my woman the closer that time comes im only 22 so i know im young but its just a thought i cant help but think about with divorce rates at an all time high i just want this to be my one and only time i do this

i just wanted to know the advice of the fellas who did go through it

Just make sure it's not just for the sake of getting married. I've been engaged twice and each time it was more because of the idea that "well we've been together for this long, I guess marriage is the obvious next step, right?" I wouldn't know about the whole you'll just know it when you're ready. But what I do know is it shouldn't be some default status because you aren't sure where to go next or maybe there's pressure from other sources.

Quote Originally Posted by // / yardo View Post
    Just make sure it's not just for the sake of getting married. I've been engaged twice and each time it was more because of the idea that "well we've been together for this long, I guess marriage is the obvious next step, right?" I wouldn't know about the whole you'll just know it when you're ready. But what I do know is it shouldn't be some default status because you aren't sure where to go next or maybe there's pressure from other sources.
    great advice i feel like that's what it really comes down too sometimes if you're with someone for a while and you've pretty much hit that relationship wall the next step is usually marriage but if it comes to that then it seems forced

Gotta buy the cow to get the milk or something like that... heck if I know I've been with my girl for 3 years and we're not married yet.

2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

When you can't/don't want to live without them by your side. When they become the most important person in your life. When they're the first and last person that you want to see and talk to on a daily basis

When do you know you are ready to marry your other half?

When she tells you.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    When do you know you are ready to marry your other half?

When she tells you.
    Hahahah. Half to re load Sam!! Truth.

Also HUMCALC even though you love them there are a few days where you are happy when they go or you go away.

OP I thought you were older too. //yardo made some great points too.
    The Bronco fan pledge;
    I am a Broncos Fan and I believe
    I believe in Mile High Magic and bleed Orange and Blue.
    I celebrate the Orange Crush, The Drive, and the Mile High Salute.
    I create the THUNDER, share the common dream, and will forever be a proud citizen of
    Bronco's Country.

***Adopt a Bronco is Chris Harris, Jr.***

Adopt a Poster AZ Snake Fan & SecondsAway131

I was with my husband for about 7 years before we got married, and been married for 10 years now next month.... I don't know when it's the right thing to do.... I know in my case it seemed like the next step after that many years.... If I had any advice it would just be to make sure that you love them, and can accept the bad with the good if your gonna tie that knot. Also what are both your plans for children... work... school... location, how important are those major decisions to your spouse are they on the same page on the major things?

Adopted Bronco - 2016/17 - Trevor Siemian
    Adopted Bronco - 2017/18 - Chris Harris Jr. # 25 to every player he covers
    Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe

Not always an easy answer........it depends on a huge number of factors, including compatibility, maturity, experiences, tolerance level and basic "feelings" for one another. The list is huge! And then there's the great unknown, never being absolutely sure that a relationship can withstand any turbulence, if you will. Better not to think about that side however, because until it occurs, it doesn't really matter.

I got married a little later (around 30), and was quite ready when the time came. I had enjoyed my single days, but once we met, we got engaged relatively quickly. So, maybe we were more mature than most....maybe not, but we were ready, and we just knew it was right.

Never take it lightly however, because there are many, many years ahead, and there will likely be some bumps along the way. Be prepared to work at it. This will be the relationship of your life, in a vast variety of ways. And yes, appreciate that you have such a special person to spend all your days with. Interestingly, it might even become clearer and clearer when you've been together for a long time, as in decades. You realize then that you made a great decision!

But yah.....do you feel like there will never be a person more suited to you? Do you love her in that same way? Are you absolutely sure? And are these feelings mutual?

If you both feel that way, it might be time.

Quote Originally Posted by captainbronco View Post
    thank you very good advice it's not like im being pressured or anything or its cool cause all my friends are doing it but the longer im with my woman the closer that time comes im only 22 so i know im young but its just a thought i cant help but think about with divorce rates at an all time high i just want this to be my one and only time i do this

i just wanted to know the advice of the fellas who did go through it
    I'm kind of a firm believer that most folks are not mature enough to handle long term until they are at least 25, with a good job and KNOW what they want to do with their life..

Many folks start a job because they thought it was interesting or the money was good and then find out its is not what they want to do the rest of their life..

marriage is much the same..

It sounds to me that you do not KNOW she is the one.. that is enough right there..

do not let lust trick you into thinking it is love..

never ever let someone to pressure you into doing this..

Second rule of thumb even if you do marry do not have kids for at least 5 years, by then you will have a better clue as to whether you will be around to be a father to them..

IMHO nothing worse for a kid to grow up fatherless, whether it be a boy or girl..

Quote Originally Posted by Garfield View Post
    ............Second rule of thumb even if you do marry do not have kids for at least 5 years, by then you will have a better clue as to whether you will be around to be a father to them..

Whoa nooooo.......we had our kids

WAY BEFORE 5 YEARS!!!!

I guess we were lucky!!!

"O, innocent victims of Cupid,
    remember this terse little verse:
    To let a kiss fool you is stupid,
    to let a fool kiss you is worse."

~ Yip Harburg
    Last edited by samparnell; 07-28-2013 at 05:20 PM.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by Garfield View Post
    I'm kind of a firm believer that most folks are not mature enough to handle long term until they are at least 25, with a good job and KNOW what they want to do with their life..

Many folks start a job because they thought it was interesting or the money was good and then find out its is not what they want to do the rest of their life..

marriage is much the same..

It sounds to me that you do not KNOW she is the one.. that is enough right there..

do not let lust trick you into thinking it is love..

never ever let someone to pressure you into doing this..

Second rule of thumb even if you do marry do not have kids for at least 5 years, by then you will have a better clue as to whether you will be around to be a father to them..

IMHO nothing worse for a kid to grow up fatherless, whether it be a boy or girl..
    thanks for the great advice i do know she's The One i was curious if you ever really know for sure