Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    10,028

    NCAA is investigating Aggies' QB Johnny Manziel

    Maybe they should've given the Heisman to that Kansas State QB he's the only one that didn't have any controversy surrounding him this past year.

    OTL sources say NCAA investigating Manziel



    By Sports Network The Sports Network

    The NCAA is reportedly investigating whether Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel received compensation for signing hundreds of autographs this past January during his trip to the Discover BCS National Championship Games.

    Three sources told ESPN's "Outside the Lines" that the Texas A&M quarterback collected a five-figure flat fee during his stay in Miami for signing memorabilia which included photos, footballs and several other items at the request of a broker named Drew Tieman.

    Two of the sources claim they witnessed the signings, though neither saw an actual money exchange.

    If the NCAA's investigation concludes that Manziel violated NCAA Bylaw 12.5.2.1 -- accepting money for promoting or advertising the commercial sale of a product or service -- he could be ruled ineligible.

    Manziel took the college football world by storm in 2012, becoming the first freshman to win the Heisman Trophy award and leading the Aggies to an 11-2 record and a victory over Oklahoma in the AT&T Cotton Bowl.
    Link: http://www.fresnobee.com/2013/08/04/...medium=twitter

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Chillin at Ingle's
    Posts
    7,021
    Johnny being Johnny.

    The NCAA must love their world right now. This is only going to start the push for a stipend for the athletes.

    Would have been cooler though had Manziel exchanged the signatures for tattoos, oh wait, that already happened.
    The Bronco fan pledge;
    I am a Broncos Fan and I believe
    I believe in Mile High Magic and bleed Orange and Blue.
    I celebrate the Orange Crush, The Drive, and the Mile High Salute.
    I create the THUNDER, share the common dream, and will forever be a proud citizen of
    Bronco's Country.


    ***Adopt a Bronco is Chris Harris, Jr.***

    Adopt a Poster AZ Snake Fan & SecondsAway131

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gurnee, IL
    Posts
    8,423
    NCAA is such a joke of an organization, stuck in the stone age.

    Do i think players should be paid? no i think getting a free education is payment enough and then its their choice if they decide to leave before they complete that. But who cares if they SELL their own stuff? seriously. a damn joke
    -------

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Appleton, WI
    Posts
    6,214
    How dare he try to profit from his own likeness!!!


    He should have been smart enough to not put his eligibility in question, but the NCAA is making making money hand over fist off of his name. The NCAA is totally hypocritical.

    Adopted Posters:
    Broncbeat - 80stheman - kmcgough25 - InsaneBlaze 23
    Adopted By:
    Broncoholic JS & 80stheman
    Broncbeat

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Denver, Colorado, United States
    Posts
    21,841
    I hate A&M and by default Manziel with the fire of a thousand suns...


    That being said, this is stupid. It's his signature and his likeness. He should be able to profit from it if he so chooses.

    THAT being said, he knows its against the rules and so does his Dad, and he did it anyway.

    Hooray, beer!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    30,895
    Apparently the NCAA is into mercantilism.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    16,515
    This kid is completely destroying his football career.

    I said to a co worker a month ago I think he won't play in the NFl. He is talented enough yes. But I think he will get himself banned for something off field. If he even makes it in the first place with these issues.

    And so far that prediction is looking better.

    To the rest yes it's stupid that he can't sell his own stuff. But it's the same with Von Miller. Whether you believe the rule is stupid or not really isn't relevant. The point is that it is against the rules and he knows it. And he broke the rules. So he needs to pay the price.

    For that matter I also don't agree with anyone that says a scholarship is good enough. Teams like Alabama, Florida, Ohio st make millions off these athletes. And a $100,000 scholarship is supposed to be fair compensation for that? I don't think so. Also regular students get scholarships but are allowed to get jobs for extra cash. Athletes cannot.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cleveland,Ohio
    Posts
    3,091
    Quote Originally Posted by Thors Hammer View Post
    How dare he try to profit from his own likeness!!!


    He should have been smart enough to not put his eligibility in question, but the NCAA is making making money hand over fist off of his name. The NCAA is totally hypocritical.
    I agree that the NCAA is a hypocrite,but its still the rules...Its funny how people will defend this guy and yet condemned Ohio State players for getting a tattoo...I mean this is must worst than the OSU situation,but somehow people are defending the guy...

    Again,I agree that the NCAA are hypocrites,but its still the rules and Manziel needs to sit down this season....

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    16,515
    Johnny Football now suspended for the first half against Rice this weekend.

    I am a huge proponent of the SEC and usually defend them against any outsiders. However this is a complete utter joke NCAA.

    You say you found nothing on him? Then suspend him for a half of a meaningless game? They'll be up 35-0 at half without him. You just did A&M a favor because now they have an excuse to sit him the whole game and let him avoid a pointless injury.

    I hate to say it but it's clearly favortism towards the SEC Heisman. Probably the best shot of knocking off Alabama so they had to protect it to keep in interesting.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the treasure valley, Idaho
    Posts
    15,969
    Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    Johnny Football now suspended for the first half against Rice this weekend.

    I am a huge proponent of the SEC and usually defend them against any outsiders. However this is a complete utter joke NCAA.

    You say you found nothing on him? Then suspend him for a half of a meaningless game? They'll be up 35-0 at half without him. You just did A&M a favor because now they have an excuse to sit him the whole game and let him avoid a pointless injury.

    I hate to say it but it's clearly favortism towards the SEC Heisman. Probably the best shot of knocking off Alabama so they had to protect it to keep in interesting.
    I don't know...the only evidence they have against him is hearsay.

    Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    16,515
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I don't know...the only evidence they have against him is hearsay.
    In which case they have 0 cause to suspend him for even a half.

    Which is why it makes no sense to suspend for a half of a meaningless game. A suspension means you have something that warrants punishment. If that is the case then why is it only for a half?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cleveland,Ohio
    Posts
    3,091
    So Dez Bryant had dinner with Deion Sander and got 10 games and yet you suspend a guy for half of a game who got money for autographs...makes sense to me....
    I support Kaepernick 100%

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    E-arth
    Posts
    15,351
    Quote Originally Posted by assassin216 View Post
    So Dez Bryant had dinner with Deion Sander and got 10 games and yet you suspend a guy for half of a game who got money for autographs...makes sense to me....
    Lol, it's laughable. The NCAA proved how much of a joke they are. Months of investigating yet they give him a 30 min suspension.

    Adopted Broncos:
    EmmanuelSanders

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cleveland,Ohio
    Posts
    3,091
    Quote Originally Posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post
    Lol, it's laughable. The NCAA proved how much of a joke they are. Months of investigating yet they give him a 30 min suspension.
    They are doing this,because of the Alabama/Texas A&M match up...Manziel should of gotten atleast a half of season,but since the game is early on in the schedule they're giving him a free pass..

    I understand that Dez lied about the dinner,he had with Deion,but no way should he gotten a 10 game suspension,because he didn't even violate any rules..But somehow a guy who gotten money from signed autographs gets a free pass really......

    Even the guys at Ohio State didnt get a free pass,which wasnt really nothing...imo..All they did was get tattoos ,but somehow NCAA believe that's worst than getting money from autographs...

    NCAA is a joke,because they're basically picking an choosing which rules are violated or not violated(in Dez case)......

    For the past 5 years,the NFL and NCAA Football hasn't been fun to watch,because of the made up rules these two have been doing...Why watch college football and the NFL when certain people can get away with stuff....
    I support Kaepernick 100%

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    E-arth
    Posts
    15,351
    Quote Originally Posted by assassin216 View Post
    They are doing this,because of the Alabama/Texas A&M match up...Manziel should of gotten atleast a half of season,but since the game is early on in the schedule they're giving him a free pass..

    I understand that Dez lied about the dinner,he had with Deion,but no way should he gotten a 10 game suspension,because he didn't even violate any rules..But somehow a guy who gotten money from signed autographs gets a free pass really......

    Even the guys at Ohio State didnt get a free pass,which wasnt really nothing...imo..All they did was get tattoos ,but somehow NCAA believe that's worst than getting money from autographs...

    NCAA is a joke,because they're basically picking an choosing which rules are violated or not violated(in Dez case)......

    For the past 5 years,the NFL and NCAA Football hasn't been fun to watch,because of the made up rules these two have been doing...Why watch college football and the NFL when certain people can get away with stuff....
    That's because it's the SEC. SEC always get minor punishments, if A&M was still in the Big 12 Johnny wouldn't be playing period...nor would he have won the Heisman.

    NCAA is like the NFL in the sense that they both wanna protect their money maker. NCAA's money is the SEC.

    Adopted Broncos:
    EmmanuelSanders

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •