Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    What you call boring, I call professionalism. I watched for the better part of a decade while Manning and Harrison ripped defenses apart, absolutely embarrassing them. Their reaction was priceless professionalism and respect.

They embarrassed their opponents with skill, not silly dance numbers.

Sack dances have gone from a quick shimmy and shake to evermore increasingly elaborate productions that can only be described as pure mockery. If players didn't have to push the envelope more and more each year, such rules would never see the light of day.

The salute thing, that's a bit much imo. I don't see how that's anymore than a high five. I'd like to hear an explanation for that one in particular.
    I have to agree with you, Indy. Those pathetic 'dances' are embarrassing and childish. "looky me, looky me". But the Lambeau Leap or Mile High Salute???? Gimmie a break Roger!

Quote Originally Posted by JW7 View Post
    I was born in 85 but I recall seeing old footage of the Icky Shuffle and other dances. I've also heard things were even more out of hand in that era with celebrations. I agree that the props thing about 5 years ago needed to end but there's nothing wrong with dancing.

I understand that you want to see professionalism but lets not forget that this is a game. I like the quote from Sapp where he said, "I get paid a kings ransom to play a child's game." It's a game, not a law firm. There's nothing wrong with having a little fun.
    Exactly. Imagine if the U back in the 80's early 90's played in this nfl lmao.
    Here we go Broncos Here we go!

ANY dance or celebration should be allowed. Lets not forget that the NFL is an ENTERTAINMENT business. The fans are paying the NFL to be entertained. Dancing after scoring a touchdown or after you make a nice play should be allowed because it is entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by mray View Post
    I have to agree with you, Indy. Those pathetic 'dances' are embarrassing and childish. "looky me, looky me". But the Lambeau Leap or Mile High Salute???? Gimmie a break Roger!
    We're on the same page. I like a little bit of fun on the field. However, there must be a line. I'd say a good starting point for that line is putting an end to elaborate dances that are becoming more and more antagonistic.

Last I heard, the Lambeau Leap was "grandfathered", enjoying some odd form of protection (applying ONLY to the GB Packers @ Lambeau). Since any mention of it was omitted from the OP article, I believe it to still enjoy protection.
    Rogue Colts Fan

What you call boring, I call professionalism. I watched for the better part of a decade while Manning and Harrison ripped defenses apart, absolutely embarrassing them. Their reaction was priceless professionalism and respect.

They embarrassed their opponents with skill, not silly dance numbers.

Sack dances have gone from a quick shimmy and shake to evermore increasingly elaborate productions that can only be described as pure mockery. If players didn't have to push the envelope more and more each year, such rules would never see the light of day.

The salute thing, that's a bit much imo. I don't see how that's anymore than a high five. I'd like to hear an explanation for that one in particular.
    but if i remember von miller does sack dances and gets money that in turn goes to charity. That to me is having fun and being professional. Having a celebration because you are having fun isn't a mockery. And if you punish anyone for celebrations you need to flag everything.

Because you can't allow a gray line. Because at what point does it get crossed. If you feel some should be allowed they all need tj be or all eliminated or you end up with that Washington game where the QB essentially tied the game and launched the ball in the air and was flagged for an emotional reaction. It was a bad flag and do you want games decided because of an emotional reaction?

I don't. I say let them have fun and use black lines that they currently have. No group celebrations no props no taunting. No going to the ground. Those are easy black white things to monitor.

Unless you want to eliminate celebration all togethet so just get up walk to huddle give ball to ref yada yada yada. You should be allowed to have fun at your job. Eliminating emotion in competition is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by denver11tebow View Post
    ANY dance or celebration should be allowed. Lets not forget that the NFL is an ENTERTAINMENT business. The fans are paying the NFL to be entertained. Dancing after scoring a touchdown or after you make a nice play should be allowed because it is entertaining.
    Again, it's not the WWF. The entertainment is on the field during play. I suppose you'd be fine with players letting off fireworks as well? Where's the line you would draw?
    Rogue Colts Fan

Quote Originally Posted by #87Birdman View Post
    but if i remember von miller does sack dances and gets money that in turn goes to charity. That to me is having fun and being professional. Having a celebration because you are having fun isn't a mockery. And if you punish anyone for celebrations you need to flag everything.

Because you can't allow a gray line. Because at what point does it get crossed. If you feel some should be allowed they all need tj be or all eliminated or you end up with that Washington game where the QB essentially tied the game and launched the ball in the air and was flagged for an emotional reaction. It was a bad flag and do you want games decided because of an emotional reaction?

I don't. I say let them have fun and use black lines that they currently have. No group celebrations no props no taunting. No going to the ground. Those are easy black white things to monitor.

Unless you want to eliminate celebration all togethet so just get up walk to huddle give ball to ref yada yada yada. You should be allowed to have fun at your job. Eliminating emotion in competition is bad.
    ^^^ Best argument I've heard yet. This guy knows how to articulate his thoughts into words. I'll respond a bit later, gotta bounce for now.
    Rogue Colts Fan

Wait really though, does that mean no Lambeau Leap as well?

Again, it's not the WWF. The entertainment is on the field during play. I suppose you'd be fine with players letting off fireworks as well? Where's the line you would draw?
    That escalated quickly. Pretty sure people here know the difference between a little fun and ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Noonskadoodle17 View Post
    From my post above;

"Last I heard, the Lambeau Leap was "grandfathered", enjoying some odd form of protection (applying ONLY to the GB Packers @ Lambeau). Since any mention of it was omitted from the OP article, I believe it to still enjoy protection."
    Rogue Colts Fan

The line is at the point where the celebration takes away from the overall aspect of playing the game. I think we all remember when TO had his elaborate celebrations. Now personalty I watched some of his games just to see what he was going to do next. What was all of the talk the next day, did you see TO's dance? This year I watched and waited for Von to get a sack in the Carolina game just to see him do Cam's dance. That is entertainment that is what I am paying to see, players making plays and when they do so, have the ability to celebrate. Just as you remember the amazing plays from the weekend past you should also remember the amazing celebrations. The players have spent their whole lifetimes preparing and dedicating themselves to football. Their life long dreams for most of them is to play in the NFL. When they finally do make it they spend more time preparing and getting ready for the game. After all that preparation and waiting they finally have the chance to make a big play. In front of 70,000 fans and millions more at home there is nothing wrong with someone celebrating that moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Noonskadoodle17 View Post
    exactly what i was thinking. seems very very odd "pointing" is mentioned but not "leaping into the stands"? i feel like we are getting half the story, ie, spinning the ball on the ground and team celebrations will bring the flags out more often then not.

If we're in the lead by 14+ points screw that rule

How in the world is Lambeu leap grandfathered in but mile High salute is not?

In fact how can anything be grandfathered into this change? So because we love the Packers the most who won championships before SB's existed they get to celebrate but noone else can?

I'm not a huge fan of the sack dances but this is ridiculous.

As far as the questions about getting rid of the mile high salute the only solution I can come to is dictator Goodell is unpatriotic.

I doubt this comes into play much this season. These rules were in effect last season and I didn't notice much besides flags for team or planned TD celebrations.