Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 46

Thread: MLB Competition

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Gtown
    Posts
    4,247
    Paraphrasing today's Post Sport's Headline, "Bradley Means Business", it is stated, unequivocally, that Irving came into camp as the #1 MLB, and in less than 2 weeks of "Practice", Stewart has taken Irving's starting spot. Thus, we have Stewart playing with the starters on Thursday. And anyone who has followed John Fox knows his preference for the less athletic, less physically gifted, "Veteran" player over the clearly superior athlete who doesn't have the time on the field. And it's the age old question of how the hell is a young player going to get experience if he can't get on the field.

    Frankly, I'm disappointed in the attitude that even though players like Irving and Ramirez have put in the time, and paid their dues, that the team goes out of their way to replace them simply because they don't have the regular season playing time under their belt at their particular positions. The "competition" is great, but it can't be lost on this team that veteran experience from players who are strangers to this team trumps loyalty to players who have been here, doing everything that was asked of them. Hopefully, rather than the Broncos going out and getting a "starting" MLB and a "starting" Center, the ultimate result is that the competition ends up bringing out the best in guys like Manny Ramirez and Nate Irving, and their play is elevated to a degree that even John Fox can't keep those 2 off the field.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    21,372
    Quote Originally Posted by gtown53 View Post
    Paraphrasing today's Post Sport's Headline, "Bradley Means Business", it is stated, unequivocally, that Irving came into camp as the #1 MLB, and in less than 2 weeks of "Practice", Stewart has taken Irving's starting spot. Thus, we have Stewart playing with the starters on Thursday. And anyone who has followed John Fox knows his preference for the less athletic, less physically gifted, "Veteran" player over the clearly superior athlete who doesn't have the time on the field. And it's the age old question of how the hell is a young player going to get experience if he can't get on the field.

    Frankly, I'm disappointed in the attitude that even though players like Irving and Ramirez have put in the time, and paid their dues, that the team goes out of their way to replace them simply because they don't have the regular season playing time under their belt at their particular positions. The "competition" is great, but it can't be lost on this team that veteran experience from players who are strangers to this team trumps loyalty to players who have been here, doing everything that was asked of them. Hopefully, rather than the Broncos going out and getting a "starting" MLB and a "starting" Center, the ultimate result is that the competition ends up bringing out the best in guys like Manny Ramirez and Nate Irving, and their play is elevated to a degree that even John Fox can't keep those 2 off the field.
    Ramirez isn't some young, developing talent. He is a 30 year old journeyman backup who has started 26 games in 6 years and only played in 35. There is a reason he has played so little.......

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    1,099
    There has to be something going on behind the scenes for Irving to have lost his spot to Bradley. I don't think we are getting the full story, from what everyone has said.. Irving hasn't given up his spot due to on the field play so this just confuses me.
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers GM

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    24,672
    Bradley got beat a lot in pass protection, but he was drawing some tough coverages. Overall he looked good, but so did Irving. I would imagine if they're even, Irving would be named the starter since he has the upside that Bradley does not.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    1,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoserman117 View Post
    Bradley got beat a lot in pass protection, but he was drawing some tough coverages. Overall he looked good, but so did Irving. I would imagine if they're even, Irving would be named the starter since he has the upside that Bradley does not.
    Does anyone know the percentages as far as percent of defensive snaps played by our middle linebacker last season?
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers GM

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,866
    Irving made some plays, looked quick and aggressive. Bradley seemed a little slow mentally and physically. Johnson didn't get to do much.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Posts
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by gtown53 View Post
    Paraphrasing today's Post Sport's Headline, "Bradley Means Business", it is stated, unequivocally, that Irving came into camp as the #1 MLB, and in less than 2 weeks of "Practice", Stewart has taken Irving's starting spot. Thus, we have Stewart playing with the starters on Thursday. And anyone who has followed John Fox knows his preference for the less athletic, less physically gifted, "Veteran" player over the clearly superior athlete who doesn't have the time on the field. And it's the age old question of how the hell is a young player going to get experience if he can't get on the field.

    Frankly, I'm disappointed in the attitude that even though players like Irving and Ramirez have put in the time, and paid their dues, that the team goes out of their way to replace them simply because they don't have the regular season playing time under their belt at their particular positions. The "competition" is great, but it can't be lost on this team that veteran experience from players who are strangers to this team trumps loyalty to players who have been here, doing everything that was asked of them. Hopefully, rather than the Broncos going out and getting a "starting" MLB and a "starting" Center, the ultimate result is that the competition ends up bringing out the best in guys like Manny Ramirez and Nate Irving, and their play is elevated to a degree that even John Fox can't keep those 2 off the field.

    This is exactly what I am talking about. Anyone with two eyes in their head could have told you after watching that game that Irving clearly outplayed Bradley. Every time he comes in to a game situation he plays well. He was making reads, diagnosing plays, disrupting shiz, and quick to the ball the entire time he was in. You don't get experience if you don't play. I swear sometimes I think Nate must have had relations with Fox's and JDR's wives cause it just doesn't make any sense.
    [SIZE="4"][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    [COLOR="Blue"]NC's Biggest Bronco Fan!

    Adopted Bronco: Nate Irving #56[/COLOR][/SIZE]

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    the gulf of mexico
    Posts
    16,855
    Quote Originally Posted by Cackalacky B View Post
    This is exactly what I am talking about. Anyone with two eyes in their head could have told you after watching that game that Irving clearly outplayed Bradley. Every time he comes in to a game situation he plays well. He was making reads, diagnosing plays, disrupting shiz, and quick to the ball the entire time he was in. You don't get experience if you don't play. I swear sometimes I think Nate must have had relations with Fox's and JDR's wives cause it just doesn't make any sense.
    He's not great with his hands yet, he struggles to disengage from blockers at times and he's still susceptible to being cut down. Irving definitely offers more upside, but Bradley is the safer pick in that you know what you're going to get. He's going to provide a physical presence in the middle of your defense, our OLBs do a ton of work on the edges as well as our Safeties in run support so we don't require Bradley to be a sideline to sideline defender. Fox is very conservative so Irving is going to have to force Fox's hand. He made some splash plays in the preseason game, but there were some negatives in there too. Irving's aggression is probably his greatest asset but at times it's also his biggest hindrance especially with Fox as our coach.
    Last edited by beastlyskronk; 08-11-2013 at 12:38 AM.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    5,744
    Quote Originally Posted by Cackalacky B View Post
    This is exactly what I am talking about. Anyone with two eyes in their head could have told you after watching that game that Irving clearly outplayed Bradley. Every time he comes in to a game situation he plays well. He was making reads, diagnosing plays, disrupting shiz, and quick to the ball the entire time he was in. You don't get experience if you don't play. I swear sometimes I think Nate must have had relations with Fox's and JDR's wives cause it just doesn't make any sense.
    The rumor circulating now (Because of inept reporting) is that Nate Irving is stupid because reporters asked Fox after practice what he liked about Brooking and he stated that he was a very smart player. So then some reporters took that and ran with it (As they have done with other training camp rumors later proved to be false) and started circulating that Irving didn't start the preseason game because he is stupid.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pocatello, Idaho
    Posts
    10,972
    Quote Originally Posted by ClintLB8 View Post
    There has to be something going on behind the scenes for Irving to have lost his spot to Bradley. I don't think we are getting the full story, from what everyone has said.. Irving hasn't given up his spot due to on the field play so this just confuses me.
    OMG it's a competition!!! They have 4 months of Irving with the starters, it could simply be they wanted to get some tape on Bradley. With 3 weeks left they are going to rotate players in competition

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pocatello, Idaho
    Posts
    10,972
    Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    He's not great with his hands yet, he struggles to disengage from blockers at times and he's still susceptible to being cut down. Irving definitely offers more upside, but Bradley is the safer pick in that you know what you're going to get. He's going to provide a physical presence in the middle of your defense, our OLBs do a ton of work on the edges as well as our Safeties in run support so we don't require Bradley to be a sideline to sideline defender. Fox is very conservative so Irving is going to have to force Fox's hand. He made some splash plays in the preseason game, but there were some negatives in there too. Irving's aggression is probably his greatest asset but at times it's also his biggest hindrance especially with Fox as our coach.
    The very first play of the game proves your not right as Bradley got cut by a offensive lineman that he saw coming. Bradley is average and gets lost in the wash of the offensive line

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Posts
    19,543
    The Broncos won that preseason game thanks to Irving who forced the fumble that was returned for a TD. He almost got an INT and also made a nice diving tackle to force a scrambling QB out of bounds.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pocatello, Idaho
    Posts
    10,972
    The team is simply preparing both Nate Irving and Stewart Bradley just in case Von miller is suspended any amount of time. That's it, and I did as well assume that Shaun Phillips was millers backup but he didnt get any reps at Sam backer

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    6,883
    Quote Originally Posted by Matymaddog View Post
    I prefer Irving. I thought he looked better at the position. I am biased since I wanted Irving in the 3rd round when we got him in the 3rd but I still think he looks a cut above Bradley from a physicality and pursuit standpoint
    Plus he wears #56, looks like a spitting image of a young Al Wilson

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Bronco Planet
    Posts
    704
    I prefer Bradley, he has character, Stewart will be a solid Mike

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •