Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: MLB Competition

Paraphrasing today's Post Sport's Headline, "Bradley Means Business", it is stated, unequivocally, that Irving came into camp as the #1 MLB, and in less than 2 weeks of "Practice", Stewart has taken Irving's starting spot. Thus, we have Stewart playing with the starters on Thursday. And anyone who has followed John Fox knows his preference for the less athletic, less physically gifted, "Veteran" player over the clearly superior athlete who doesn't have the time on the field. And it's the age old question of how the hell is a young player going to get experience if he can't get on the field.

Frankly, I'm disappointed in the attitude that even though players like Irving and Ramirez have put in the time, and paid their dues, that the team goes out of their way to replace them simply because they don't have the regular season playing time under their belt at their particular positions. The "competition" is great, but it can't be lost on this team that veteran experience from players who are strangers to this team trumps loyalty to players who have been here, doing everything that was asked of them. Hopefully, rather than the Broncos going out and getting a "starting" MLB and a "starting" Center, the ultimate result is that the competition ends up bringing out the best in guys like Manny Ramirez and Nate Irving, and their play is elevated to a degree that even John Fox can't keep those 2 off the field.

Quote Originally Posted by gtown53 View Post
    Paraphrasing today's Post Sport's Headline, "Bradley Means Business", it is stated, unequivocally, that Irving came into camp as the #1 MLB, and in less than 2 weeks of "Practice", Stewart has taken Irving's starting spot. Thus, we have Stewart playing with the starters on Thursday. And anyone who has followed John Fox knows his preference for the less athletic, less physically gifted, "Veteran" player over the clearly superior athlete who doesn't have the time on the field. And it's the age old question of how the hell is a young player going to get experience if he can't get on the field.

Frankly, I'm disappointed in the attitude that even though players like Irving and Ramirez have put in the time, and paid their dues, that the team goes out of their way to replace them simply because they don't have the regular season playing time under their belt at their particular positions. The "competition" is great, but it can't be lost on this team that veteran experience from players who are strangers to this team trumps loyalty to players who have been here, doing everything that was asked of them. Hopefully, rather than the Broncos going out and getting a "starting" MLB and a "starting" Center, the ultimate result is that the competition ends up bringing out the best in guys like Manny Ramirez and Nate Irving, and their play is elevated to a degree that even John Fox can't keep those 2 off the field.
    Ramirez isn't some young, developing talent. He is a 30 year old journeyman backup who has started 26 games in 6 years and only played in 35. There is a reason he has played so little.......

There has to be something going on behind the scenes for Irving to have lost his spot to Bradley. I don't think we are getting the full story, from what everyone has said.. Irving hasn't given up his spot due to on the field play so this just confuses me.
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers GM

Bradley got beat a lot in pass protection, but he was drawing some tough coverages. Overall he looked good, but so did Irving. I would imagine if they're even, Irving would be named the starter since he has the upside that Bradley does not.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoserman117 View Post
    Bradley got beat a lot in pass protection, but he was drawing some tough coverages. Overall he looked good, but so did Irving. I would imagine if they're even, Irving would be named the starter since he has the upside that Bradley does not.
    Does anyone know the percentages as far as percent of defensive snaps played by our middle linebacker last season?
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers GM

Irving made some plays, looked quick and aggressive. Bradley seemed a little slow mentally and physically. Johnson didn't get to do much.

Quote Originally Posted by gtown53 View Post

This is exactly what I am talking about. Anyone with two eyes in their head could have told you after watching that game that Irving clearly outplayed Bradley. Every time he comes in to a game situation he plays well. He was making reads, diagnosing plays, disrupting shiz, and quick to the ball the entire time he was in. You don't get experience if you don't play. I swear sometimes I think Nate must have had relations with Fox's and JDR's wives cause it just doesn't make any sense.
    [SIZE="4"][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[COLOR="Blue"]NC's Biggest Bronco Fan!

Adopted Bronco: Nate Irving #56[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Cackalacky B View Post
    This is exactly what I am talking about. Anyone with two eyes in their head could have told you after watching that game that Irving clearly outplayed Bradley. Every time he comes in to a game situation he plays well. He was making reads, diagnosing plays, disrupting shiz, and quick to the ball the entire time he was in. You don't get experience if you don't play. I swear sometimes I think Nate must have had relations with Fox's and JDR's wives cause it just doesn't make any sense.
    He's not great with his hands yet, he struggles to disengage from blockers at times and he's still susceptible to being cut down. Irving definitely offers more upside, but Bradley is the safer pick in that you know what you're going to get. He's going to provide a physical presence in the middle of your defense, our OLBs do a ton of work on the edges as well as our Safeties in run support so we don't require Bradley to be a sideline to sideline defender. Fox is very conservative so Irving is going to have to force Fox's hand. He made some splash plays in the preseason game, but there were some negatives in there too. Irving's aggression is probably his greatest asset but at times it's also his biggest hindrance especially with Fox as our coach.
    Last edited by beastlyskronk; 08-11-2013 at 12:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cackalacky B View Post
    The rumor circulating now (Because of inept reporting) is that Nate Irving is stupid because reporters asked Fox after practice what he liked about Brooking and he stated that he was a very smart player. So then some reporters took that and ran with it (As they have done with other training camp rumors later proved to be false) and started circulating that Irving didn't start the preseason game because he is stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by ClintLB8 View Post
    There has to be something going on behind the scenes for Irving to have lost his spot to Bradley. I don't think we are getting the full story, from what everyone has said.. Irving hasn't given up his spot due to on the field play so this just confuses me.
    OMG it's a competition!!! They have 4 months of Irving with the starters, it could simply be they wanted to get some tape on Bradley. With 3 weeks left they are going to rotate players in competition

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    He's not great with his hands yet, he struggles to disengage from blockers at times and he's still susceptible to being cut down. Irving definitely offers more upside, but Bradley is the safer pick in that you know what you're going to get. He's going to provide a physical presence in the middle of your defense, our OLBs do a ton of work on the edges as well as our Safeties in run support so we don't require Bradley to be a sideline to sideline defender. Fox is very conservative so Irving is going to have to force Fox's hand. He made some splash plays in the preseason game, but there were some negatives in there too. Irving's aggression is probably his greatest asset but at times it's also his biggest hindrance especially with Fox as our coach.
    The very first play of the game proves your not right as Bradley got cut by a offensive lineman that he saw coming. Bradley is average and gets lost in the wash of the offensive line

The Broncos won that preseason game thanks to Irving who forced the fumble that was returned for a TD. He almost got an INT and also made a nice diving tackle to force a scrambling QB out of bounds.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

The team is simply preparing both Nate Irving and Stewart Bradley just in case Von miller is suspended any amount of time. That's it, and I did as well assume that Shaun Phillips was millers backup but he didnt get any reps at Sam backer

Quote Originally Posted by Matymaddog View Post
    I prefer Irving. I thought he looked better at the position. I am biased since I wanted Irving in the 3rd round when we got him in the 3rd but I still think he looks a cut above Bradley from a physicality and pursuit standpoint
    Plus he wears #56, looks like a spitting image of a young Al Wilson

I prefer Bradley, he has character, Stewart will be a solid Mike