Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts?!

Looked forward to seeing the game all week, and was disgusted with that train wreck of a display. I do not care if it is preseason, you cannot come out to a game against a good team and play mistake ridden football like that. Plain and simple, the good teams in this league minimize mistakes and maximize big plays. So far, we have not done enough of the first nor have we done any of the second.

Offense: I thought the hurry up looked pretty good last night. I liked the balance of the pass and run and beliueve that passing game set-up the running game. Loved the 4th and short goal near the goal line. However, why run the ball like 6 times at the goaline? How bout some play action or flare the back into the passing game for god's sake.

Hillman: Honestly, I thought he looked the best of the backs. I thought he ran well and saw the field. Yes, he needs to hold onto the ball, but I really liked what he did.

Offensive line: Well, plain and simple we need the first stringers because the back-ups are poor. Chris Clark is terrible and has been for a while. I hope Clady gets here soon and Vasques is okay because we need them all.

Defense: Oh god, does this team have all kinds of shades so far of the year in which teams just run all over us each game. Never bothered to pass because they could just run it. No big stops yet, can't get #1 teams off the field. Simply not good. Where is the explosiveness of Knighton and Vickerson up the middle? Where is the speed of the LBs right now?

DB: Crap, if we lose Bailey for a while this is going to really hurt. Without Dumervil's speed and MIller if suspended pass rush will be medicorea and if QBs get to sit all day, without Bailey this is going to be painful.

Summary: We did not show up with the energy nor the attitude to compete tonight. They were at a different level. Remove the KO return and the fumble return and we are in the game, but you can't be mistake prone.

Plain and simple, the offense can be great, but if they cannot get on the field because of the lack of defensive stops well it could be a really long season that under delievers expectations and that would be a shame.

I would like to see us be aggressive and bring in some veteran guys if needed at certain spots
    Wanting to win does not make you a winner. Refusing to fail does.

Quote Originally Posted by Grad53 View Post
    Maybe it's just because it is preseason, but it looked like the team was trying to avoid injuries and not playing physical enough. Seattle looked like they were there to play, the Broncos looked like they thought it was touch. I hope that they can put it together soon.
    My thoughts, too.

I will admit that I only saw a little over a quarter of the game, as it was becoming rather painful to watch.

I thought that the whole idea of preseason was to get a look at some of the new guys who are trying to make the roster, try a few plays that have been run in practice, and get out of there with as few injuries as possible. I don't think that Mr. Carroll got the same memo, though.
    Last edited by southern cross; 08-18-2013 at 07:07 AM.

Positives

We played without Dressen ,Tamme,Clady,Cromarte,CJ Anderson

Negative

I'm not sold on any QBs on the roster under Peyton Manning

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Zane Beadles struggled tonight, he's always really struggled with power players. Ryan Clady is going to help the o-line a lot. Ramirez and Beadles have been struggling in pass protection though. If Kuper can come back healthy, he should improve our interior. If not, we'll just have to wait for Walton to come back. If Kuper comes back healthy and Walton can come back, we may see Beadles get pushed out. Also the o-line typically gets better as the gain continuity. We're far from seeing their best play, the coaches will find a group they like and that group will continue to get better as the season goes on.

Also we're still missing Joel Dreessen. His blocking on the edge is really underrated and it's really been missed so far particularly in the run game. Thomas is great as a receiver, but he leaves a lot to be desired as a blocker.

Edit: One more thing, when the regular season starts and there are actual gameplans, our o-line will naturally look better as the coaches are going to run what we're best at. Right now we're running a lot of zone, I believe it's to get it up to speed with our power scheme. We've ran barely any power if any at all in these first 2 preseason games. That's what got Beadles in the pro bowl. I expect to see a lot more power scheme in the regular season, our o-line is big enough to wear teams down and the power scheme will accentuate that. It'll also make Hillman a more dangerous CoP back as he'll likely be the RB for most of the zone plays.
    I think they stick with more zone runs than power.

Quote Originally Posted by 18to88 View Post
    As far as the play on the field I don't think there is too much to worry about. Many correctable mistakes. Take out the fumbles and one of the best defenses in the NFL in the Seahawks would have allowed 21 points on 4 drives.

The real worry is injuries, especially if Von is suspended. If Vasquez is hurt too then thats gonna be a real issue.
    As much as my emotions want to scream panic, this logic rings true enough to iterate. Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoSexyDaddy View Post
    Positives

We played without Dressen ,Tamme,Clady,Cromarte,CJ Anderson

Negative

I'm not sold on any QBs on the roster under Peyton Manning
    Julius Thomas just might be our starting TE. Over Tamme and Dressen. They he played last night, with the exception of a few mistakes, was pretty positive imo. He's never really played in games, being hit. He'll get it, and from what I've read, it seems like they want to integrate into the offense this year, which will make the offense that much more difficult to defend.

Seahawks were the best defensive team in the NFL last year, and we marched up and down the field on them. Granted they forced one turnover, good play for them, bad for JT, the second turnover was more on Hillman, bad play. They are correctable, and although it may not occur overnight, these issue should be considerably less by mid-season. We don't face as good a defense again all year. The top are SF and SEA.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoSynapses View Post
    Julius Thomas just might be our starting TE. Over Tamme and Dressen. They he played last night, with the exception of a few mistakes, was pretty positive imo. He's never really played in games, being hit. He'll get it, and from what I've read, it seems like they want to integrate into the offense this year, which will make the offense that much more difficult to defend.

Seahawks were the best defensive team in the NFL last year, and we marched up and down the field on them. Granted they forced one turnover, good play for them, bad for JT, the second turnover was more on Hillman, bad play. They are correctable, and although it may not occur overnight, these issue should be considerably less by mid-season. We don't face as good a defense again all year. The top are SF and SEA.
    I agree,good post!

It should be a good test for us.We open up against the Ravens and it should be the same type of game.

The focus of these games is to test players and schematics in game-like conditions while not tipping your hand about regular season intentions.

For example, I believe Sylvester Williams and Montee Ball get minimal playing time because the team does not want to showcase what they are capable of. I think Osweiler is intentionally placed with backups so he speeds his reading skills and develops in pressure sitiuations. A lot of the poor results are by design in an effort to give players experience and then coach the results. I think Hillman keeps getting handoffs between the tackles because he needs work there on how to read cuts. He cannot improve if they keep running him outside in pre-season games to impress fans that want to post about it.
    https://media.giphy.com/media/cAgxSFqbyaQgeyY3VA/giphy.gif

After a good nights sleep, it doesn't look so bad outside of the players that were hurt ( that was awful ). We have a super QB in Peyton, our receivers are really very good, our team is very good. Preseason is the time to have this type of display happen, fix the problems and move on, I think we will be fine . Manning, Fox, and Elway sure did look pissed if I were a few of the players I might have taken a Gray hound bus back to Colo instead of getting into that little airplane with my pissed off bosses.

Maybe it's just because it is preseason, but it looked like the team was trying to avoid injuries and not playing physical enough. Seattle looked like they were there to play, the Broncos looked like they thought it was touch. I hope that they can put it together soon.
    Ya a lot of help that did us hu, look at all the injuries we had to key players

Quote Originally Posted by rst08tierney View Post
    Passing on Eddie Lacy was a mistake
    You meen the guy that came into camp 20 pounds over weight? The guy who hasn't even taken a snap of football yet? Yeah, horrible dicision taking a guy who cares about his body and work ethic

Manny Ramirez has no business being on this team. Pray he doesn't start or play any significant time at C. As bad as his playing is, his intelligence is lacking even more. He had a loose ball at his feet and did nothing. He had a defender in the endzone at his grasp and did nothing.

Luis Vazquez-everybody lauds this signing. I don't see it. In both preseason games, I have seen him pushed back consistently. Not sure if it is the knee or something but I hope he comes around.

Rahim Moore-tackling is an issue, angles are still an issue.

RBs-leave A LOT to be desired.

Offense-stalled first drives are a problem.

Defense-I stated several times that a lot of Miller's production was thanks to Dumervil's presence. Often times Miller's sacks were one step ahead of Dumervil getting there. Let's hope this team can get pressure.

What does any of this mean? Next to nothing...right now because it is preseason. Fox and company will work on this.

Starting OL was pretty good, without Clady, Manning had enough time to throw.

Backup OL was awful but then again who has a good backup OL?

Did well against probably the best secondary in football.

Julius and Demaryius looked good sans the Julius fumble.

Starting defense was ok, run defense tightens up after the first quarter.

Injuries are the biggest concern, especially Wolfe/Champ.

Welker and Vaz seem minor.

Montee looked better, would like to see him get more looks next week.

Fox said they didn't even prepare for the game while Seattle played this like their SB.

Positives:
    1. Thomas is a weapon that we haven't had since Sharpe. He's not as good a blocker, but maybe that will come. He creates that +1 mismatch that a defense can't defend.
    2. I see why we got Welker. He has a nose for the yardage needed and great first move with the ball. See him fake the db to get that 1st down. The only way that happens is pre planned in his head. Instant lateral move as soon as the ball is secured. We will kill teams that leave the underneath routes to a LB.
    3. Despite problems on the online and at RB, we will score a lot of points. Maybe more than last year.
    4. Holliday

Negs:
    1. Injuries, duh
    2. MLB. Lots of comments about Bradley. I agree.
    3. Pass rush. There isn't one. With the Von situation uncertain and weak MLB play, I think we're going to give up a lot of sustained drives in the early part of the season. Lots of comments about the secondary, but ANY secondary will look bad if the opposing QB has time and an effective run game.
    4. Hillman isn't an every down back. He's sailing along, and Smack, he's down. Just not big or powerful enough to take a lateral hit and keep going. Is McGahee still available? CJ may just make this team.
    5. Center. One weak link on a line makes the whole unit struggle.

Not so worried about ST. Bad game, but good ST coverage is coachable. Not worried about Oz. he's always been a multi-year project. Season hinges on Manning.