Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Walt Coleman working the opener

http://www.pressboxonline.com/blog/6...-Ravens-Opener

Link to larger graphic: http://24.media.tumblr.com/3cacfbc30...h7fo1_1280.jpg

It’s been reported, that Walt Coleman will be the referee during the Thursday night NFL opener when the Denver Broncos host the defending Super Bowl Champion Baltimore Ravens(it is still absurd that they don’t host the opener, why isn’t Pittsburgh playing them tonight, the NFL opened on a Wednesday last year).

Anyway, over the years I have not been fond of Walt Coleman as a referee. He is the man that concocted the tuck rule when Tom Brady fumbled after that Charles Woodson hit in the snow. He’s the guy that allowed Ty Law and his fellow DB’s assault the Colts wide receivers, down field taking them off their marks, creating 3 of Manning’s 4 interceptions in the 2003 AFC Championship game. It’s well documented that Russian President Vladimir Putin has one of Robert Kraft’s Super Bowl Rings. Does Walt Coleman have the other two? Just saying.

One can easily say that this is from a biased and bitter point of view. You dadgum (ode to Bobby Bowden) right it is. But it is also an objective point of view because it’s quite clear something is amiss when Manning & Coleman are on the field at the same time.

Manning’s career completion % of 65.2% drops nearly 10% to 60.8%. I’m sure Manning knows heading into a game who the official is and I’m sure he has notes from each of the games listed above. With his efficiency being higher(still below his career averages), maybe he has learned to play with Coleman on the field and has coordinated with his receivers on what to expect. With that said, I still believe that Coleman and his crew let defenses get away with more than other crews. Good coaches coach that into their players each week.

Needless to say I’d still prefer not to see Walt Coleman on the field. It’s kinda sad when his wikipedia page is marred with seven cases of controversial calls. It’s absurd that 3 of those 7 are listed in the chart above.
    Last edited by allthings18; 09-04-2013 at 09:59 AM.

well . . . can it be worse than that reffing job in the balt game last year? Is that even possible?

Quote Originally Posted by fightinglee View Post
    well . . . can it be worse than that reffing job in the balt game last year? Is that even possible?
    That was horrible. Just to add a note. Manning is 0-3 with Vinovich's crew. Just a bit odd.

So the safe answer to your question is maybe. That 2003 AFCCG was horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by allthings18 View Post
    That was horrible. Just to add a note. Manning is 0-3 with Vinovich's crew. Just a bit odd.

So the safe answer to your question is maybe. That 2003 AFCCG was horrible.
    what I am personally hoping for is that we play so unbelievably well that the reffing won't be able to make a significant impact. We clobber Flacco until he runs off the field crying and after his 3rd pic, and our 7th td, Balt just forfeits the season in embarrassment.

Wow, the dogging of the referee's has started before even one snap has taken place. That's impressive!!

Quote Originally Posted by fightinglee View Post
    what I am personally hoping for is that we play so unbelievably well that the reffing won't be able to make a significant impact. We clobber Flacco until he runs off the field crying and after his 3rd pic, and our 7th td, Balt just forfeits the season in embarrassment.

All of that would be fine and dandy, but I'd also like to drive this

home to this

and neither of those have a 1% chance in happening.

At least there is a good chance Falcco will get clobbered!

Quote Originally Posted by Colobix View Post
    Wow, the dogging of the referee's has started before even one snap has taken place. That's impressive!!
    No it's called discussing history.

Is this guy considered a top-tiered kind of ref, say like Ed Hoculi or Mike Carey? I just hope that we get a crew that is better than the garbage crew (Bill V. - I'm speaking to you) we got in January. Since it's opening night, I would hope that the crew is considered top notch, as all eyes will be watching.

Hey, where did you get a pic of my car and wife?

"So, you're sayin' there's a chance!"

Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Thanks for the interesting Chart. I can't blame you for being concerned with the ref crew after last year. Terrible refereeing happens. Even in the post season. Heck even after last playoff game the NFL stuck a tryout crew into one of our preseason games.

I just want it to be fair - If he can make that happen - I'll be fine. I don't care if he lets defenses get away with more than they should as long as he's fair. Is he fair? I don't really know. I was infuriated with the ref crew last postseason. INFURIATED. At least the weather will be mild so the ref's brains wont be all ice cubed out.

As far as Walt's history - I DO remember being angry with him before lol. His southern accent cracks me up though - it's fun to mimic

"Ferst Dayown"
    Red 98

Kareem rises to the top

This just means Eric Decker could become a wuss with a lot of contact from the DBs , DT has a chance to rise above the excessive contact that will probably be allowed. Wes Welker will have a field day because I don't see anyone with the Ravens underneath like a Chris Harris that can keep up with him.

That also means that DRC and the Denver DBs like Jammer who like to play press coverage well will have a chance to shine, IMO.

To me, the last four would not have been skewed by the 2008 Jags game if Peyton was not recovering from his bursa sac surgery that year.

Man! I guess we (Bronco forum members) are definitely prepared for the Ravens game. We even know about the potential sucky officiating! Thats why I love this forum!

I want Hochuli

Quote Originally Posted by LSIGRAD09 View Post
    I want Hochuli
    Yup!