Any Monarch High School students/alumni here?

If so, then I'm sure you know there's a HUGE game coming up this Friday when Montrose visits.

Monarch is the unanimous #1 team in 4A and Montrose is the #2 team (according to CHSAAnow & The Denver Post. ColoradoPreps has them at #3). Regardless, it's still a huge game for both teams. Monarch needs to show that they are indeed the top team in the state. If Montrose wins then we'll have a new #1 for the first time in what seems like forever.

Here's the deal with Montrose: They weren't supposed to be that good this year. They were universally unranked before the season started. They lost a lot of key seniors and their star running back went down early in the season with a leg injury. Coach Casebier is a football mastermind, however, that's often won games (and championships) with inferior talent. He always seems able to bring out the best in his players; quickly and effectively coaching up the younger players when the need arises. The (junior high) pipeline is stacked too so I don't see Montrose falling off the 4A radar any time in the near future.

But, that's down the line... I'm here about tomorrow!

I don't really expect Montrose to win, I do believe that Monarch is the best team in 4A, but I'll lay down a CP bet for any of you Coyotes out there.

Any takers?

Winter is Coming!

Anyone?

Hmmm... I suppose I could find somebody else to take these Broncos game tickets I was going to use as a surprise "throw-in" on the bet.

Oh well...
    Winter is Coming!

Guess who's the #1 4A team in Colorado?!?

Wild game. Montrose was down 21-0 in the 1st quarter; in HS football that's usually a pretty good indication of who's going to win.

Montrose storms back and wins 39-34.

So, you guys were pretty smart to not take this bet... or you just don't care.

Winter is Coming!

You would have won that CP Bet

Quote Originally Posted by Mount-n-Groan View Post
    Guess who's the #1 4A team in Colorado?!?

Wild game. Montrose was down 21-0 in the 1st quarter; in HS football that's usually a pretty good indication of who's going to win.

Montrose storms back and wins 39-34.

So, you guys were pretty smart to not take this bet... or you just don't care.

Where is Monarch HS? Is it in the same league as Palisade HS? A friend with whom I once coached was OC at Palisade a while back when they were state champs.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Where is Monarch HS? Is it in the same league as Palisade HS? A friend with whom I once coached was OC at Palisade a while back when they were state champs.
    Monarch is in Louisville (near Boulder) and part of the 4A Mountain League. Palisade is part of the 3A Western Slope League.

But speaking of those Bulldogs in Palisade...

They had a quality win against Durango this past weekend (a divisional rival of Montrose). Palisade is a 3A school so it's always encouraging for them to knock off a decent 4A team (that's looked pretty good this year so far). Palisade is currently ranked #2 in 3A, and they face their league rival in Rifle this weekend - the #1 3A team in the state. Should be a good one. It's very similar to what happened last week in 4A, but this one has the added drama of the two teams being from the same league.

I remember that you're connected to Palisade, but I forget how exactly. The head coach of Palisade at the time they won the state championship was Todd Casebier (the current HC here in Montrose). He was a TE/DE that played there from 1981-84 and went on to play college ball at Fort Lewis. He went back to Palisade to coach in the late 90s and won numerous league crowns and the 3A state title in 2003. That was quite the program your friend was part of then.

Todd Casebier's family has a long, storied past throughout Western Colorado and his younger brother was a teammate/classmate of mine in HS. Anyway, he's been the head coach in Montrose for the last 8 years and it's pretty amazing what he's been able to accomplish.
    Winter is Coming!

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoSexyDaddy View Post
    You would have won that CP Bet
    Yeah, too bad I couldn't suck anybody in.

But, honestly... the only people that thought that Montrose was going to win that game were the Montrose players and coaches. It was going to be some EASY CP for anybody that jumped in.

Crazy weekend in Colorado HS Football. The #1 teams in 5A, 4A & 3A all lost - in addition to last year's 1A state champion. 17 ranked teams throughout all the classifications lost their matchups last week. :devil:
    Winter is Coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Mount-n-Groan View Post
    I remember that you're connected to Palisade, but I forget how exactly. The head coach of Palisade at the time they won the state championship was Todd Casebier (the current HC here in Montrose). He was a TE/DE that played there from 1981-84 and went on to play college ball at Fort Lewis. He went back to Palisade to coach in the late 90s and won numerous league crowns and the 3A state title in 2003. That was quite the program your friend was part of then.

Todd Casebier's family has a long, storied past throughout Western Colorado and his younger brother was a teammate/classmate of mine in HS. Anyway, he's been the head coach in Montrose for the last 8 years and it's pretty amazing what he's been able to accomplish.
    Since Coach Casebier left Palisade, my friend quit teaching and coaching when the new HC demoted him from Varsity OC to JV. He is out of education now.

When my wife and I attended WSC, there was a professor in the education department named Casebier. I wonder if she is related to Coach Casebier?
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus