• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ELWAY421
    Football Immortal
    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post
    From a technical standpoint, Blackening is easily Machine Head's best. I like the song writing a little better in Unto the Locust though. Some would probably argue that Burn my Eyes is still their best work, and if you think about that album in relation to the genre back then, it's hard to argue against it. I'm with you on South of Heaven, too. That album never gets old for whatever reason.
    Dude i really like Locust. The two records music wise are really close, i mean they had to be under some kind of pressure to follow The Blackening up & they pulled it off. I actually listen to LOcust more cause i totally wore The Blackening out. Both great records & that band has grown so much over the years.

Comment

• ELWAY421
      Football Immortal
      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by denvercrush81 View Post
      Thanks man, i appreciate that. We sound alot better live if you are there. lol. Our videos are something that is not our strong point......that skatepark show was good and fun, but the video was terrible!!! Singer was totally not even heard.

The Dime guitar is the original series by dean. That was before dime really started endorsing that shape and you started seeing it everywhere with all of his custom designs. That guitar, however old, still sounds good. He has an Ibanez prestige and NEVER plays it. I dont even know why he spent so much money on it. He just loves the Dean too much.

We are gonna play the S.C.U.M fest this weekend. (South Carolina Underground Metal) in Spartanburg Sc. Two stages, 20 bands, beer, metal......ahhhhhh its gonna be cool. You should drive down from ohio...lol
      Dude i wish i could drive down there, I dont know if the wife & kids would let me lol. But have fun and make the crowd start a circle pit & keep me posted on Red Skies Ahead. I don't know what your doing as far as trying to find a label & i know Facebook & all that helps but you should send your music to Housecore Records it's Phil Anselmos label & i know he is looking for bands that can hit them notes lol.

Comment

• ELWAY421
        Football Immortal
        • Dec 2007

Pantera

You know they keep re releasing these CD's on the 20th anniversary Cowboys, Vulgar, FBD coming up. Man they need to release another home video. Have any of you seen the 3 vulgar videos? I know they should have plenty of footage from the Reinventing tour for that. I also would like them to put out some live DVD's, full shows from the Reinventing tour maybe Trendkill tour.

Comment

• baphamet
          Family Trust Beer
          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by 86Elwayfan View Post
          I like your list. To be honest I misread what he was asking. I listed my 10 favorite metal albums but not necessarily the ones I think are "best" which in all honesty are very different things. Reign in Blood would definitely be on my best metal albums list. I think a list of the best albums in any genre should help define or change that genre.
          yeah my top 10 favorite metal albums would look quite different, it would also change a lot probably.i put a couple in there that are my favorites though, like morningrise and among the living.

anthrax is a very under-rated band overall, IMO

Comment

• baphamet
            Family Trust Beer
            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by 86Elwayfan View Post
            My top 20 (Which by no means are the best ever) but I basically made it from what I am most likely listening to if someone just took my headphones from me.

1. Pantera
            2. Old Metallica
            3. Opeth
            4. Slipknot
            5. Arch Enemy
            6. Children of Bodom
            7. InFlames
            8 Five Finger Death Punch
            9. Gojira
            10. Disturbed
            11. Slayer
            12. Hatebreed
            13. Kingdom of Sorrow
            14. Between the Buried and Me
            15. AC/DC
            16. Sabbath
            17. Zepplin
            18. Shadows Fall
            19. Maximum the Hormone (Japanese and I love them)
            20. Silent Civilian

not a bad list at all, you have arch enemy rated high, i like that. Angela Gossow is definitely my favorite female vocalist ever, arch enemy is a great band overall. :thumb:

Comment

• 86Elwayfan
              The Future is Upon us!!!
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by baphamet View Post
              not a bad list at all, you have arch enemy rated high, i like that. Angela Gossow is definitely my favorite female vocalist ever, arch enemy is a great band overall. :thumb:
              Mine as well! I remember the first time I saw an Arch Enemy music video with her singing I was like there is no way that tiny little blonde chick is the vocalist cannot be happening...and then I kind of fell in love haha
              sigpic

Comment

• Spice 1
                Football Immortal
                • Sep 2004

1. Meshuggah
                - Takes a while to get into the reasons why I like this band so much. It starts and ends with Tomas Haake.
                2. Nevermore
                - I think Jeff Loomis is the best guitarist alive, and I think Warrel Dane is the best lyricist alive. This one is easy.
                3. Megadeth
                4. Machine Head
                5. Metallica
                - Everything before The Black Album, and some stuff after.
                6. Slayer
                7. Fear Factory
                - Burton Bell has to be my favorite vocalist.
                8. Sepultura
                9. Iced Earth
                - I get a lot of flack for liking this band, but I love the galloping chord progressions.
                10. Lamb of God
                11. Opeth
                - Especially their old stuff.
                12. Ozzy Osbourne
                - Particularly the stuff he did with Randy Rhoads.
                13. Iron Maiden
                14. Pantera
                - Never a big fan of Anselmo's lyrics, but undeniably one the best bands of all time.
                15. Black Sabbath
                16. Unearth
                - This band is proof that talent transcends genre. One of the few metal core bands I can listen to.
                17. Annihilator
                - This band unfortunately never had a singer that was worth a damn. It's a shame, because they were really talented.
                18. Dream Theater
                - Enjoy this band primarily for the guitar work. Progressive vacation from the norm.
                19. Children of Bodom
                - Once you get around the obnoxious key board solos, this band is actually pretty good. They have a few songs that I consider to be among the best I've heard over the last ten years or so.
                20. Chimaira
                - Been listening to these guys since before they got big. Their newer stuff isn't that great, but The Impossibility of Reason was a great album.

A great example of Loomis' guitar and Dane's vocals:

Lyrics: [Loomis, Dane]

And on the open road we came to a sign
                For it was foretold that the weak would inherit
                And nothing would change
                Here we are at the crossroads, standing face to back
                Still afraid to see our eyes
                I feel helpless and alone, trapped on the third stone

Sitting here sideways on a cold stone floor
                My guitar gently bleeding and wanting more
                When I heard a sound come rapping,
                Tapping on my door

Hello, I'm happy to meet you
                In your confidence is it safe?
                Sit down I'm happy to greet you
                To feed your greedy dog at the edge of the stage?
                But before, before you slam the door
                Tell me when, tell me why, tell me what this ****ing life is for
                We fly through this godless endeavor
                We try to explain the black forever

I feel permanently stoned, this godless endeavor the only cage I've known

Our organic equation has shown it's flaw
                Can we agree to disagree on the concept of god?
                As I lifted up my brother he said to me
                "Abandon naive realism, surrender thought in cold precision"

I feel empty and deranged, denied one last epiphany and ushered from the stage

Thou shalt not question, the role of science is not to eliminate god
                As alternative gods multiply science stands accused of theocide
                Consume, conform

The children sitting in the trees, they turn to laugh at me
                They tell me that I'm insane, but in my mind I know I'm to blame
                Alone within my lunacy, dementia fills the void within me
                No testament, prayer or diseased lament can heal my wounds
                They are so discontent

All the faithful fall onto their knees
                And praise the priests of industrial disease

We contemplate oblivion as we resonate our dissonance
                In godless random interpretation
                The universe still expands, mankind still can't understand
                How to define you, so hide your face and watch us exterminate ourselves over you
                Welcome to the end my friend, the sky has opened

Comment

• baphamet
                  Family Trust Beer
                  • Nov 2006

i gave my top 10 best bands list but i guess i will list my current favs since that is pretty much what everyone else is doing lol

the videos i list are not necessarily my favorite songs but ones i like a lot.

1. Opeth ( mikael akerfeldt is one of if not the most talented musician in the death metal genre, even metal all together, both in guitar and vocal talent)

2. Slayer (this will always be one of my favorite bands, still cant get over the fact that tom araya is a christian. )

3. Morbid Angel (this has always been one of my favorite death metal bands but i am especially geeked about them right now because i seen them in concert not too long ago for the first time and was blown away!)

4. Dying Fetus (i have seen these guys twice recently, they are highly controversial but i love their style and with their new awesome drummer, it makes them one of my favorite bands right now)

5. The Faceless (these guys are not so good live and i don't really care for their new album but their first two albums were absolutely sick IMO)

6. Metallica (i still listen to these guys a lot but i refuse to listen to anything after and justice for all)

7. Pantera (same as Metallica, its just one of those bands you can never get sick of)

8. Entombed (only the first 3 albums after that they caught a bad case of Metallica syndrome these guys put the Swedish metal scene on the map, which is IMO the greatest metal scene in the world today)

9. Nile (IMO these guys have always been good but it seems like they just get better and better)

10. Megadeth (i wanted to put a few different bands in this spot but i just can't leave these guys out, i still listen to them a lot much like slayer, metallica, and pantera)

obviously there are a lot of others i like but these are probably my favorites right now and some have been for a long time too.
                  Last edited by baphamet; 10-12-2013, 02:21 PM.

Comment

• ELWAY421
                    Football Immortal
                    • Dec 2007

1. Meshuggah
                    - Takes a while to get into the reasons why I like this band so much. It starts and ends with Tomas Haake.
                    2. Nevermore
                    - I think Jeff Loomis is the best guitarist alive, and I think Warrel Dane is the best lyricist alive. This one is easy.
                    3. Megadeth
                    4. Machine Head
                    5. Metallica
                    - Everything before The Black Album, and some stuff after.
                    6. Slayer
                    7. Fear Factory
                    - Burton Bell has to be my favorite vocalist.
                    8. Sepultura
                    9. Iced Earth
                    - I get a lot of flack for liking this band, but I love the galloping chord progressions.
                    10. Lamb of God
                    11. Opeth
                    - Especially their old stuff.
                    12. Ozzy Osbourne
                    - Particularly the stuff he did with Randy Rhoads.
                    13. Iron Maiden
                    14. Pantera
                    - Never a big fan of Anselmo's lyrics, but undeniably one the best bands of all time.
                    15. Black Sabbath
                    16. Unearth
                    - This band is proof that talent transcends genre. One of the few metal core bands I can listen to.
                    17. Annihilator
                    - This band unfortunately never had a singer that was worth a damn. It's a shame, because they were really talented.
                    18. Dream Theater
                    - Enjoy this band primarily for the guitar work. Progressive vacation from the norm.
                    19. Children of Bodom
                    - Once you get around the obnoxious key board solos, this band is actually pretty good. They have a few songs that I consider to be among the best I've heard over the last ten years or so.
                    20. Chimaira
                    - Been listening to these guys since before they got big. Their newer stuff isn't that great, but The Impossibility of Reason was a great album.

A great example of Loomis' guitar and Dane's vocals:

Lyrics: [Loomis, Dane]

And on the open road we came to a sign
                    For it was foretold that the weak would inherit
                    And nothing would change
                    Here we are at the crossroads, standing face to back
                    Still afraid to see our eyes

Sitting here sideways on a cold stone floor
                    My guitar gently bleeding and wanting more
                    When I heard a sound come rapping,
                    Tapping on my door

Hello, I'm happy to meet you
                    In your confidence is it safe?
                    Sit down I'm happy to greet you
                    To feed your greedy dog at the edge of the stage?
                    But before, before you slam the door
                    Tell me when, tell me why, tell me what this ****ing life is for
                    We fly through this godless endeavor
                    We try to explain the black forever

I feel permanently stoned, this godless endeavor the only cage I've known

Our organic equation has shown it's flaw
                    Can we agree to disagree on the concept of god?
                    As I lifted up my brother he said to me
                    "Abandon naive realism, surrender thought in cold precision"

I feel empty and deranged, denied one last epiphany and ushered from the stage

Thou shalt not question, the role of science is not to eliminate god
                    As alternative gods multiply science stands accused of theocide
                    Consume, conform

The children sitting in the trees, they turn to laugh at me
                    They tell me that I'm insane, but in my mind I know I'm to blame
                    Alone within my lunacy, dementia fills the void within me
                    No testament, prayer or diseased lament can heal my wounds
                    They are so discontent

All the faithful fall onto their knees
                    And praise the priests of industrial disease

We contemplate oblivion as we resonate our dissonance
                    In godless random interpretation
                    The universe still expands, mankind still can't understand
                    How to define you, so hide your face and watch us exterminate ourselves over you
                    Welcome to the end my friend, the sky has opened
                    Don't like Phil's lyrics???? Explain if you don't mind. Phil's lyrics especially in Pantera were genius, unless you don't like negative lyrics. Have you ever sat down & read the lyrics on Trendkill alone, man that dude was angry & inspired.

Comment

• Spice 1
                      Football Immortal
                      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by ELWAY421 View Post
                      Don't like Phil's lyrics???? Explain if you don't mind. Phil's lyrics especially in Pantera were genius, unless you don't like negative lyrics. Have you ever sat down & read the lyrics on Trendkill alone, man that dude was angry & inspired.
                      I'm more in to philosophical stuff. Not that I don't appreciate guys like Anselmo for what they are. He was right for the type of groove/thrash metal that Pantera played. That band wouldn't have sounded quite right with a guy who sang about existentialism, for example.

Comment

• Spice 1
                        Football Immortal
                        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by baphamet View Post

1. Opeth ( mikael akerfeldt is one of if not the most talented musician in the death metal genre, even metal all together, both in guitar and vocal talent)

The second half of Black Rose Immortal is incredible. That whole album is pretty damn good.

Comment

• ELWAY421
                          Football Immortal
                          • Dec 2007

I'm more in to philosophical stuff. Not that I don't appreciate guys like Anselmo for what they are. He was right for the type of groove/thrash metal that Pantera played. That band wouldn't have sounded quite right with a guy who sang about existentialism, for example.
                          Fair enough, I guess i would say that Pantera & bands like them spoke to me like the more philosophical metal bands spoke to you. Not that i don't listen to all kinds of different bands. For me growing up when i discovered Metallica it changed me i guess at that time they were the cream of the crop. Metallica changed the game in the 80s, but when the black album came out i remember feeling betrayed let down. That was around the time i became hip to CFH & again changed my life. One of the thing's i loved about Pantera so much was they did the opposite of what Metallica did, they got heavier with every record. Pantera never enjoyed the commercial success Metallica did, but they sold out most arenas they played & had the most diehard fan base & sold a fair amount of records too. When you heard just the guitar tone you knew it was Dime he was so unique as a player he had his own style it was like ZZ Top meets old Metallica & Black Sabbath. Phil's lyrics spoke to me alot cause to me he was writing about everyday life situations that alot of people go through, also on the first Down record. But because of some phsyco we will never get a chance to see, as Anselmo said on stage (We Are The Kings Of Heavy Metal) again RIP Dime.....
                          Floods, man this has to be one of the best guitar solo's of all time......

Comment

• ELWAY421
                            Football Immortal
                            • Dec 2007

Kingdom Of Sorrow

Comment

• ELWAY421
                              Football Immortal
                              • Dec 2007

Old School Death

Comment

• ELWAY421