Page 54 of 117 FirstFirst ... 4 44 52 53 54 55 56 64 104 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Spice 1 View Post
    Yeah see, I would totally jam that in my car, but wouldn't necessarily be a big fan of the band in general.
    i gotta be in the mood to listen to slam and if you have a good stereo with subs slam metal sounds fantastic because there is a lot of bass, more than most metal.
    Last edited by baphamet; 12-09-2015 at 11:24 AM.

Welcome Back! #85

Quote Originally Posted by baphamet View Post
    that sounds nothing like cannibal corpse

that's like saying pantera and hatebreed sound the same just because they have a similar sound and vocals which are still different. new cannibal corpse does sound generic as hell though but it is more just generic death and not slamming brutal death metal.

cannibal corpse is faster, doesn't have the slamming brutal heavy riffs, and the style of vocals is much different as well.

but like i said, i understand why people don't like it.
    Well, I'm at work and I listened to it via my phone on low volume. The vocal style sounded like Cannibal Corpse man lol. I listen to it again on good speakers later, but I like to understand what they're saying. I don't know, maybe I'm getting old lol. I know what Chuck from Death was saying though lol.
    Dread it.Run from it.
    Destiny arrives all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by ELWAY421 View Post
    Well, I'm at work and I listened to it via my phone on low volume. The vocal style sounded like Cannibal Corpse man lol. I listen to it again on good speakers later, but I like to understand what they're saying. I don't know, maybe I'm getting old lol. I know what Chuck from Death was saying though lol.
    well in that regard yeah, it's similar. but my point is a lot of vocalist have a similar style to phil anselmo, doesn't mean they all sound the same (even though some of it does). if you don't listen to death metal i can for sure see how you would have that impression that the vocals all sound the same.

also, chuck schuldiner's style of vocals isn't what is typically regarded as death metal vocals even though he invented the genre, cannibal corpse and napalm death were the first to use "growls" to my knowledge, though there could have been others.

a lot that goes into death metal isn't just the vocals, the instrumental sounds unlike any other metal, especially slam. that is what made the band Death unique, it had a raw and extremely heavy sound to it compared to thrash or speed metal, as well as the lyrical content was new and fitting to the blistering sound.

and yeah you can't understand some of them unless you know the lyrics and most of it you probably don't want to anyways

again, i don't blame you for not liking it, this is just how i see it and what i like.

Welcome Back! #85

well in that regard yeah, it's similar. but my point is a lot of vocalist have a similar style to phil anselmo, doesn't mean they all sound the same (even though some of it does). if you don't listen to death metal i can for sure see how you would have that impression that the vocals all sound the same.

also, chuck schuldiner's style of vocals isn't what is typically regarded as death metal vocals even though he invented the genre, cannibal corpse and napalm death were the first to use "growls" to my knowledge, though there could have been others.

a lot that goes into death metal isn't just the vocals, the instrumental sounds unlike any other metal, especially slam. that is what made the band Death unique, it had a raw and extremely heavy sound to it compared to thrash or speed metal, as well as the lyrical content was new and fitting to the blistering sound.

and yeah you can't understand some of them unless you know the lyrics and most of it you probably don't want to anyways

again, i don't blame you for not liking it, this is just how i see it and what i like.

Ok, well you tell me where Carcass, Death, Obituary, and Coroner fall when it comes to category? Are they death metal or not? Cause I can understand everything they say. Even Max from Sepultura sounds death metal to me, and all the above bands mentioned above I've always considered death metal bands.
    Dread it.Run from it.

The whole blood and gore thing never appealed to me. I relate to lyrics that talk about everyday life, or about real stuff I guess. I do listen to bands like The Sword and they cover a lot of Fantasy type stuff, but if you sit down and listen to a record like Individual Thought Patterns you're gonna hear Chuck sing about a ton of real life stuff. Maybe I just don't know my genre's, but I've always thought that a band like Death or Carcass has a ton more depth than bands like Cannibal Corpse or Nocturnas lol, am I wrong?
    Dread it.Run from it.

Ok, well you tell me where Carcass, Death, Obituary, and Coroner fall when it comes to category? Are they death metal or not? Cause I can understand everything they say. Even Max from Sepultura sounds death metal to me, and all the above bands mentioned above I've always considered death metal bands.
    i'm not trying to get in a debate about genre labels cuz i do hate them but....

obituary has a lot of stuff that is very hard to understand if you don't know the lyrics, same with carcass.

you can understand chuck way more than that, although newer carcass they make it easier to understand them, same with obituary.

sepultura is considered thrash and i would consider max's vocals closer to something like jamey jasta than death metal. but that wasn't the point that i was trying to make at all.

if you look at current death metal and all the related genre's the vocals are nowhere near chuck's for the most part and you can't understand most of them unless they throw in clean vocals or something or you know the lyrics.

death metal from the early 90's was just starting out, you don't see too many current death metal bands with vocals like john tardy or chuck's, that was my point.

even morbid angel started out with vocals more similar to chucks then switch to a more guttural style and they are one of the original death metal bands as well.

like i said, death metal is more than just growling on the microphone, it's got a distinct sound that no other genre of metal has unless it's some sort of sub genre to death or influenced by it.

it's not for everyone and i get that, i also get that some people listen to music for the lyrics like you do, i listen more for the overall sound and feel of the music as well as lyrics, which is why i like a wide variety of music.

just curious but you say you never got into blood and gore but you mentioned carcass? do you like carcass or were you just saying you can understand them? because thats the original blood and gore death metal band lol

carcass is considered grindcore by the way and most credit them for creating that genre.
    Last edited by baphamet; 12-09-2015 at 11:35 PM.

Welcome Back! #85

The whole blood and gore thing never appealed to me. I relate to lyrics that talk about everyday life, or about real stuff I guess. I do listen to bands like The Sword and they cover a lot of Fantasy type stuff, but if you sit down and listen to a record like Individual Thought Patterns you're gonna hear Chuck sing about a ton of real life stuff. Maybe I just don't know my genre's, but I've always thought that a band like Death or Carcass has a ton more depth than bands like Cannibal Corpse or Nocturnas lol, am I wrong?
    carcass sings almost exclusively about blood and gore dude

i don't listen to nocturnas and cannibal corpse is about like carcass except they sing more about violence and gore rather than just mainly gore like carcass. obituary sings about violence and gore as well, they just have a different style of vocalist.

i can give you examples of many many death metal bands that have tons of substance, depends what you are looking for. Nile for example sing about Egyptian mythology, one of my favorite death metal bands and it is indeed hard to understand them if you don't know the lyrics.

amon amarth sing about viking mythology, i really dig that as well. the only original death metal band i can think of that really doesn't sing about gore that much (this includes death) is napalm death, who sing more about politics than gore, they are extremely political.

after all, it's called death metal for a reason.

oh there is bolt thrower, a lesser known original death metal band from Britain who sing about war and politics as well, almost forgot about them (you can understand them pretty well too).

but again, i understand you don't like it, it's cool man. a ton of people hate my taste in metal, that's nothing new to me.....kind of like my taste in football teams.
    Last edited by baphamet; 12-09-2015 at 11:32 PM.

Welcome Back! #85

I started listening to Carcass when they put out the Heartwork album, and it's definitely not blood and gore. And Sepultura like beneath the remains and troops of doom and all that stuff was pretty close to death metal, or Arise, that's pretty close to death metal in my opinion. Arise is closer to death metal than hatebreed lol. Obituary end complete is very understandable so is slowly we rot, and cause of death. Carcass Swansong, surgical steel.

I understand what you are saying and the genre thing is messed up imo, I don't consider Pantera thrash metal. You obviously know way more about the genres than I ever will, but what I'm saying is to me a lot of that death metal sounds the same man.

You obviously know more about it and about the bands, but I've heard plenty of it and most bands sound like the same imo. Some stand out, bands like Death, Obituary, Morbid Angel stand above the rest.

Don't get confused by the vocal style comment though, maybe I'm being judgmental and you know way more of the bands, but Chuck or a band like Death had way more talent than a band like Cannibal Corpse and it shows on the records imo. To me most of them sound like cannibal corpse. Bands like Death have way more depth or substance.
    Dread it.Run from it.

Btw, I'm not trying to down music someone else listens to because I don't like, and it would be dumb on my part to try to argue with baph about death metal when he knows so much more about it lol.

I know nothing about modern day death metal, I've never heard of slam? I guess my whole point was certain bands imo have way more talent and substance than others. That goes for any genre, sometimes when I turn on the local metal/hard rock radio station it's like one band sounds like the next.

But.... take a band like Machine Head, they're pretty heavy, right? They have way more talent than some if this other crap out there, better riffs, better grooves, hooks, solos, lyrics, singing. So if I can find bands like that, like Devildriver, Machine Head, Hatebreed, Lamb of God, Gojira why listen to some crap band like Boltthrower or At the Gates haha.
    Dread it.Run from it.

Btw, I'm not trying to down music someone else listens to because I don't like, and it would be dumb on my part to try to argue with baph about death metal when he knows so much more about it lol.

I know nothing about modern day death metal, I've never heard of slam? I guess my whole point was certain bands imo have way more talent and substance than others. That goes for any genre, sometimes when I turn on the local metal/hard rock radio station it's like one band sounds like the next.

But.... take a band like Machine Head, they're pretty heavy, right? They have way more talent than some if this other crap out there, better riffs, better grooves, hooks, solos, lyrics, singing. So if I can find bands like that, like Devildriver, Machine Head, Hatebreed, Lamb of God, Gojira why listen to some crap band like Boltthrower or At the Gates haha.
    You gotta admit though, Slaughter of the Soul was a pretty BA album.

I started listening to Carcass when they put out the Heartwork album, and it's definitely not blood and gore. And Sepultura like beneath the remains and troops of doom and all that stuff was pretty close to death metal, or Arise, that's pretty close to death metal in my opinion. Arise is closer to death metal than hatebreed lol. Obituary end complete is very understandable so is slowly we rot, and cause of death. Carcass Swansong, surgical steel.

I understand what you are saying and the genre thing is messed up imo, I don't consider Pantera thrash metal. You obviously know way more about the genres than I ever will, but what I'm saying is to me a lot of that death metal sounds the same man.

You obviously know more about it and about the bands, but I've heard plenty of it and most bands sound like the same imo. Some stand out, bands like Death, Obituary, Morbid Angel stand above the rest.

Don't get confused by the vocal style comment though, maybe I'm being judgmental and you know way more of the bands, but Chuck or a band like Death had way more talent than a band like Cannibal Corpse and it shows on the records imo. To me most of them sound like cannibal corpse. Bands like Death have way more depth or substance.
    i was just talking about max's vocals, yeah the music of sepultura sounds nothing like hatebreed but if someone that doesn't listen to the music as much heard it, they wouldn't be able to determine the difference that well......that's the problem with death metal.

i'm not trying to act like i know more than you do but it's just true that carcass is blood and gore, they did change their sound when heartwork came out so i understand where you are coming from but i started listening to them in the late 80's so...

but like i said i do agree some of it sounds the same but when i say that i am mainly talking about the music, the generic death metal sound.

i also clearly remember reading an article back in the day in metal edge magazine (remember that? lol) where they interviewed the tardy brothers and they said they are going to make an effort to have their vocal more understandable starting with the end complete album.

some of it is definitely understandable but some of it from slowly we rot and cause of death is not. i also agree that musically speaking chuck schuldiner was more talented than the guys in cannibal corpse.

but there are other death metal artists out there that are extremely talented and you cant understand a damn thing the vocalist is saying without knowing the lyrics

when it comes to slam, you simply can't understand it for the most part, no arguments there. it's definitely not for everyone, in fact its not for the vast majority lol

if you don't like blood and gore you wont like slam anyways, it takes blood, gore, and violence to a new extreme.

Welcome Back! #85

i was just talking about max's vocals, yeah the music of sepultura sounds nothing like hatebreed but if someone that doesn't listen to the music as much heard it, they wouldn't be able to determine the difference that well......that's the problem with death metal.

i'm not trying to act like i know more than you do but it's just true that carcass is blood and gore, they did change their sound when heartwork came out so i understand where you are coming from but i started listening to them in the late 80's so...

but like i said i do agree some of it sounds the same but when i say that i am mainly talking about the music, the generic death metal sound.

i also clearly remember reading an article back in the day in metal edge magazine (remember that? lol) where they interviewed the tardy brothers and they said they are going to make an effort to have their vocal more understandable starting with the end complete album.

some of it is definitely understandable but some of it from slowly we rot and cause of death is not. i also agree that musically speaking chuck schuldiner was more talented than the guys in cannibal corpse.

but there are other death metal artists out there that are extremely talented and you cant understand a damn thing the vocalist is saying without knowing the lyrics

when it comes to slam, you simply can't understand it for the most part, no arguments there. it's definitely not for everyone, in fact its not for the vast majority lol

if you don't like blood and gore you wont like slam anyways, it takes blood, gore, and violence to a new extreme.
    I take your word for it bro. I'm sure there's bands out there that I've never heard that I'd like. I just feel like bands like Death, and Carcass stand out, from Heartworm on Carcass on anyway, I'll have to check out their earlier stuff.

I have a few questions for you guys though. Do you like the band Coroner? If so Mental Vortex or Grin?

Which Death record is better Human or Individual Thought Patterns?

And how do you post videos from YouTube from your phone lol
    Dread it.Run from it.

I figured it out lol.
    Dread it.Run from it.

I take your word for it bro. I'm sure there's bands out there that I've never heard that I'd like. I just feel like bands like Death, and Carcass stand out, from Heartworm on Carcass on anyway, I'll have to check out their earlier stuff.

I have a few questions for you guys though. Do you like the band Coroner? If so Mental Vortex or Grin?

Which Death record is better Human or Individual Thought Patterns?

And how do you post videos from YouTube from your phone lol
    I like Coroner. Mental Vortex. I like Grin too, though.

I like Human better. I think it's their best album, but Sound of Perseverance is actually my fav Death album.

Quote Originally Posted by Spice 1 View Post
    I like Coroner. Mental Vortex. I like Grin too, though.

I like Human better. I think it's their best album, but Sound of Perseverance is actually my fav Death album.
    Who's your favorite band again?
    Dread it.Run from it.