Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by themadfanatic View Post
    Then u dont believe what u said. You think his numbers will improve because of von but u think he'll only get 5.5 more sacks in 11 games when he got 5.5 in 5 games without him?.... i think he will finish with 15.5 and von about the same.
    He'll sack Hanne around 15.5 times next week.. he'll end up with around probably 60.5 sacks this year give or take.

Just 4 more than what Von will get this year.

When Vonnie Football comes back, things WILL change. Offenses are worried about Von and will many times double team him. This will cause a ripple affect on the whole defense. You will see more action from Phillips, Ayers, Wolfe and others. Bank on it. Also, when Champ comes back, the secondary will be better. Bank on that too!

Best part about all of this is... Doom= $14 mil a year (before the hopeful paycut) to Phillips = $1 mil and more production

Elway wins again

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeCrush_304 View Post
    Best part about all of this is... Doom= $14 mil a year (before the hopeful paycut) to Phillips = $1 mil and more production

Elway wins again
    Yeah this seems to be the best benefit of having Phillips
    I still think Doom is the better rusher, but the difference between the two in production is not worth the contract Doom wanted

The savings we gained is going go help us in trying to lock down Woodyard, DRC, etc...

Anyone who has heard Phillips speak at length, knows that his value extends a helluva lot further than "stats". This guy is smart, he's a grown, mature man, he is a leader in the locker room, and he is a mentor to the younger guys on the team. How the Chargers could have ever let he and Vasquez go is way the hell beyond me. Oh wait, I forgot who owns the Chargers.

It's crazy that Ayers and Phillips are on pace for more sacks than Dumervil and Von had last year. It makes me wonder why the defense has been so much worse than last year so far. Von and Champ must make a HUGE impact.

Last year we were a top 5 D. We upgraded Adams with Ihenacho, we upgraded Bannan with Knighton, Brooking with Trevathan, and Carter with DRC. That's 4 spots upgraded while we went from Dumervil to Ayers/Phillips, which I don't think is that much of a downgrade.

So with Miller and Champ back we have to be more talented than last year's D. And it's the 2nd year of JDR's system as well, so I see no reason why we should be any worse than last year's top 5 D. I can see us having worse stats simply because of the relaxed defense our offense lets us play, but the actual defense should be better. I never understood why people were so worried before the season about Dumervil when we upgraded so many other spots, not to mention having natural improvement from guys like Jackson and Wolfe as well.

But it is strange that the numbers have been so much worse so far this year. Then again, we did improve as the year went along last year, so it could be that we still have to take time to gel with so much turnover, even if most of it is improved talent.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoFanNC View Post
    I actually thought his small stature gave him a disadvantage in refs calling holding. He gets held a ton but it doesn't seem like it gets called much.
    As was extremely evident in the Dallas game, not to mention the playoff game last year, nobody on this team seems to get holding calls. The most embarrassing one yesterday was the play where Phillips made like 3 spin moves and then was choked out the entire rest of the play before still coming up with the sack.

I saw somebody mention that this team has been on the wrong side of calls ever since the Hochuli call in 2008, and I have to agree with this. One semi-bad call that is actually pretty common (play being blown dead too soon) actually helps the Broncos win a game, and it goes down as the one of the worst calls all time. Since then we've been the victim of dozens of calls that dwarf that one in egregiousness and importance and they are never even mentioned.

Case in point: the Manning version of the tuck rule. We still hear about the original Tuck Rule but the refs didn't have anything to go on back then. And although I disagree with the rule, it seems more than a little ridiculous that they COMPLETELY WENT AGAINST THE PRECEDENT that they set when they ruled that a fumble by Manning. And I haven't seen that play mentioned once outside of this message board. It would be like the Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade and not hearing a word of outcry.

But the holding calls are probably my biggest worry for this season. If whoever we play in the playoffs does whatever they want to our D-line like Dallas and Baltimore did, that is the one thing that can stop us this year outside of a Manning injury. It's like a pitcher just throwing balls 8 feet outside every time and getting the strike call anyway. It's really the only thing that can stop this defense and this team.

Great thread!
    Denver brought in a good football player in Phillips and he not only replaced Doom but he is a leader. He was big in the Dallas game and Yesterday both his deflections resulted in int's.