Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

To the Defense during the Tebow era...I miss you...

Wheres that defense that was holding opponents to 14 points or less? I miss that...

The rest of it I dont miss....

Different players, different coaches. That defense knew if it didn't hold opponents to minimal scores it was a loss, cause the offense wasn't going to be putting up much as far as points.

Its still there
    Its just hibernating

Getting Von in game shape and getting Woodyard back will really help I think
    Also getting Nacho healthy as well

We wont be holding teams to under 14 points because we score too much and the other team will have many more opportunities to score than in 2011

But I think our defense will be better this year than it was then

Quote Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
    We wont be holding teams to under 14 points because we score too much and the other team will have many more opportunities to score than in 2011
    That part is huge, and completely overlooked by a lot of people. First of all, the expectations of most fans are unrealistic. You just won't have both a great offense and great defense at the same time. The salary cap and talent parity ensures that. Also, this team can score in a hurry, which means opponents will get the ball back frequently.

This isn't college football where you can dominate on both sides of the ball because of massive talent disparities.

Quote Originally Posted by Doogansquest View Post
    That part is huge, and completely overlooked by a lot of people. First of all, the expectations of most fans are unrealistic. You just won't have both a great offense and great defense at the same time. The salary cap and talent parity ensures that. Also, this team can score in a hurry, which means opponents will get the ball back frequently.

This isn't college football where you can dominate on both sides of the ball because of massive talent disparities.
    What's going to happen when the weather hits Doog? Do you see us continuing the onslaught of points? Or should we start working on pounding the rock?

Its still there
    Its just hibernating

Getting Von in game shape and getting Woodyard back will really help I think
    Also getting Nacho healthy as well

But I think our defense will be better this year than it was then
    I'm in agreement about Getting Von and Woody back but the rest of your logic eludes me.

A defense that holds the opposing offense to a three and out doesn't just forget how to play suddenly. I can't imagine what they're waiting for, the season started some time back.

I think the OP has a great point, I miss them too.
    [

Quote Originally Posted by ELWAY421 View Post
    What's going to happen when the weather hits Doog? Do you see us continuing the onslaught of points? Or should we start working on pounding the rock?
    Well, the running game was improving and showing signs of life each week prior to getting down by 19 against the Colts. We were averaging over 30 carries per game and right around 120 yards.

The passing game plays in a way that the cold won't slow it down much, and I think the run game will get better as the line gets healthier. Thankfully, this defense is very good at stopping the run which will help in the post-season.

I miss last year's defense, not the 2011 one.

Our defense is ranked 1st in run defense and 32nd in pass defense but if you break down the stats a little farther you'll see why.

In pass attempts against our defense, you'll see we are the 3rd highest.

In run attempts against our defense we were 2nd lowest until last week, now we are at 12th but if you take in account that every team ranked above us, only the Lions haven't had a bye week yet. That would mean we are the 2nd or 3rd rank team in the least amount of rush attempts against us.

What does this tell us? It shows that most teams are throwing on us because they are playing from behind. It also tells us that our run defense probably is not really the #1 run defense in the league.
    Last edited by BroncoBreeder; 10-23-2013 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taos_Broncomaniac View Post
    I'm in agreement about Getting Von and Woody back but the rest of your logic eludes me.

A defense that holds the opposing offense to a three and out doesn't just forget how to play suddenly. I can't imagine what they're waiting for, the season started some time back.

I think the OP has a great point, I miss them too.
    The theory behind the Tebow offense was to control the clock and shorten the game
    Give our defense more rest and limit the amount of possessions for the other team

Obviously that is not the gameplan anymore
    We score more often and much quicker now which means opposing teams get more possessions
    More possessions means our defense isnt always as rested

Our defense isnt worse
    You are just naturally going to give up more yards, points, etc... when the other team has the ball several more times a game

The theory behind the Tebow offense was to control the clock and shorten the game
    Give our defense more rest and limit the amount of possessions for the other team

We score more often and much quicker now which means opposing teams get more possessions

Our defense isnt worse
    You are just naturally going to give up more yards, points, etc... when the other team has the ball several more times a game

______________________DEN__OPP
    2011 Time of Possession 29:42 32:04
    2012 Time of Possession 31:16 28:43
    2013 Time of Possession 30:21 29:38

Our defense isnt worse
    I was gonna post that same theory about ball control, but I remembered how many 3 & outs the Tebow led offense put up. In turn I have way more respect for that defense.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoBreeder View Post
    Our defense is ranked 1st in run defense and 32nd in pass defense but if you break down the stats a little farther you'll see why.

In pass attempts against our defense, you'll see we are the 3rd highest.

In run attempts against our defense we were 2nd lowest until last week, now we are at 12th but if you take in account that every team ranked above us, only the Lions haven't had a bye week yet. That would mean we are the 2nd or 3rd rank team in the least amount of rush attempts against us.

What does this tell us? It shows that most teams are throwing on us because they are playing from behind. It also tells us that our run defense probably is not really the #1 run defense in the league.
    Well go take a look at our defensive yards per carry. We're definitely a top flight run defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    Well go take a look at our defensive yards per carry. We're definitely a top flight run defense.
    I didn't say we weren't a good run defense, I said we aren't #1 even though we're ranked #1. However, as the run attempts are increased, the chances of someone busting a long run increases. 2 or 3 long runs would put us right in the middle of the pack as far as yards per attempt.

There's another factor. If you move the chains effectively and score more, that means that the other team is going to get the ball more often as well. More possessions.