Anyone else worried about not winning division right now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MileHigh Salute
    Starter
    • Oct 2011

Anyone else worried about not winning division right now?

I just look at the schedule and compare ours to the Chiefs and it's obvious we have a much tougher road ahead than the Chiefs.

Given we are 1 game back we have no wiggle room especially if these guys keep squeaking games out by 1-3 pts.

It's hard to fathom but we could have the second best record in the league and not have the road potentially go through Denver.

If we hit the playoffs as the best wildcard, have to play 3 games and have to go on the road for two if we actually win, I am very worried about the spectre of that.

It's just a bitter pill to swallow that the Chiefs are not losing to anyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :logo: Wanting to win does not make you a winner. Refusing to fail does. :logo:
  • 18to88
    Practice Squad
    • Sep 2012

Buffalo will give them a run for their money but I suspect the Chefs will squeak out another 3 point win.

Quite simply it will come down to the game in Denver. Beat them and put the pressure back on them.

They will lose to the Chargers at least once and hopefully to the Colts. So beat them twice and the division belongs to Denver.

Comment

• TennesseeWalker
      Practice Squad
      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by MileHigh Salute View Post
      I just look at the schedule and compare ours to the Chiefs and it's obvious we have a much tougher road ahead than the Chiefs.

Given we are 1 game back we have no wiggle room especially if these guys keep squeaking games out by 1-3 pts.

It's hard to fathom but we could have the second best record in the league and not have the road potentially go through Denver.

If we hit the playoffs as the best wildcard, have to play 3 games and have to go on the road for two if we actually win, I am very worried about the spectre of that.

It's just a bitter pill to swallow that the Chiefs are not losing to anyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Until yesterday, yes, I was worried.

However, something finally "clicked" for the defense. Washington's offense was ranked #4 in the NFL, and they were held to an earned 7 points (on that drive right before halftime), and that cheap 7 points when Peyton was stripped deep in their own territory. The pass rush was back, and I'm not even looking at the sacks. Sacks only tell PART of the pass rush story. I guarantee you Griffin feels older than Manning right about now. He got beat up all day long. For Denver's defense to be effective, it HAS to get pressure on the QB, and they're doing that now. Von is only going to get better as the season goes, and he creates so many opportunities for others just by being on the field. This bye week couldn't have come at a better time, either.

It's true, our remaining schedule is definitely harder than the Chiefs, but I like our chances MUCH more than the Chiefs'. We'll be alright. We'll win the division. I'm as confident of that now as I've ever been. When this defense is on its game, there's no one in the NFL that can beat this team.

One thing though: I really wish Fox/Gase would get on the O-lineman about the possible block in the back on DT's screen pass TD. I didn't celebrate that TD until they were lined up for the PAT; I just knew there was going to be a flag thrown for that. We're lucky it wasn't thrown, even though it would've been a WEAK call since NO ONE is going to catch DT. It could cost us in the future, though.

Comment

• flosstein
        Ring of Famer
        • Dec 2003

There's no need to worry. Having a bye hasn't proven any better results either. So 3 games or 2, come January we will be there. Might actually be better to be on the road for a game or two
        #swapping

Comment

• TennesseeWalker
          Practice Squad
          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by flosstein View Post
          There's no need to worry. Having a bye hasn't proven any better results either. So 3 games or 2, come January we will be there. Might actually be better to be on the road for a game or two
          I wish we had the option of not having a bye, but still having home field advantage. Year after year, the Colts quit playing their starters in the last couple of games after they had clinched first round bye and HFA. That's when they made early exits--they were rusty and the other teams were fresh. The year the Colts won the Superbowl was the year they had to play every round and couldn't sit their starters at the end of the year. Byes scare me.

Comment

• 18to88
            Practice Squad
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by flosstein View Post
            I agree being on the road isn't all bad but if you are the 5th seed then you are on the road the WHOLE playoffs unless the 6th seed makes the AFCCG.

So if KC finish 14-2 and Broncos finish 13-3 with the second best record, then you are the 5th seed...

Comment

• broncoslover115
              Football Immortal
              • Mar 2012

After yesterday it felt like a switch got turned on, kind of like what happened in SD last year with our D. They played lights out last night. So, I'm not as concerned as I was.

My biggest concern are the TO's. They are making me crazy. We have got to stop them or we will not be able to overcome them against better teams.

KC also has better competitors coming up and yesterday CLE almost gave them a run for their money. I'm not so sure they are going to only score 17-20 points against us, SD, Indy anymore to win their games. If we start playing better, mistake-free football and our D plays like it did last night, we are scary good.

They were saying the same thing last night on NFL Network and Sunday Night Countdown.
              Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

• TennesseeWalker
                Practice Squad
                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by 18to88 View Post
                I agree being on the road isn't all bad but if you are the 5th seed then you are on the road the WHOLE playoffs unless the 6th seed makes the AFCCG.

So if KC finish 14-2 and Broncos finish 13-3 with the second best record, then you are the 5th seed...
                Agreed, that's why I was saying I wish we could somehow get HFA but not a bye. That's what sucks about having two great teams in one division. If you don't get the #1 seed, you're last or next to last. In this case, almost certainly next to last.

Comment

• Rich_C
                  Captain
                  • Aug 2012

Originally posted by 18to88 View Post

Correct. Assuming that your 13-3 is the next best record. AFC - 4 divisions therefore seeds 1 thru 4 are the top seeds in each. The 5th seed is the next best team from all 4.

Comment

• InsaneBlaze23
                    The ArchAngel
                    • Jan 2009

Don't we still play them twice? Arrorhead will be tough as it always is, but really until they beat us the division can be won. KC may be undefeated, but not only do they have an easy schedule, they are partly beating teams they should handle. Would have lost to a banged up Texans team who lost both of their backs, they only had 2 running backs activated. That same team was start a QB who hasn't played since his 2012 college career.

Browns gave them a run for their money as well.

Are we gonna assume Denver with this high power offense can't put points on the board? It's not like the games will be shoot outs because Alex Smith is no Brady, Rodgers, Romo, or Brees.

Stop the run, put Smith on his back and score points. That's it.
                    sigpic
                    Adopted Broncos:
                    EmmanuelSanders

Comment

• TennesseeWalker
                      Practice Squad
                      • Sep 2013

KC is good, don't get me wrong. However, they're one of the worst 8-0 teams ever. They have beaten some cupcakes, and struggled mightily against some cupcakes. They barely beat the Titans with Mr. Turnover Machine himself playing (Fitzpatrick) and the Chiefs were gifted to TD's.

I predict Broncos beat Chiefs by double digits both games.

Comment

• InsaneBlaze23
                        The ArchAngel
                        • Jan 2009

There is a saying in MMA when talking about how good you are or how good other fighters are. The saying goes "But how is the chin...?"
                        KC hasn't had it's chin tested, until they have their chin tested I'll hold calling their defense the best, I'll hold from saying they'll win the division.

I wanna see how that defense reacts and how the offense reacts to being down 20-30 points.
                        sigpic
                        Adopted Broncos:
                        EmmanuelSanders

Comment

• broncoslover115
                          Football Immortal
                          • Mar 2012

What's making me crazy today is now that the offense struggled a bit last night the sports media are talking as if we lost last night.

I think personally this was the best win we've had all year because it came from both sides of the ball. We've been waiting for our D to step up and they did big time. To go deep into the playoffs you need both sides to step up and that's what happened last night. Why then are the sports media acting like we laid an egg?
                          Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

• Hanzo the Razor
                            Bench Warmer
                            • Oct 2013

I deeply respect the Chiefs and what Andy Reid has done there, but I feel very confident and excited about the Denver Broncos and their chances at being the first team to beat them this year. It will be an amazing game -- the league's best offense and defense going head-to-head. Can't wait!

Comment

• Skylan
                              Ring of Famer
                              • Apr 2008

It's pretty much garbage that we're at this point in the season and the chiefs STILL haven't played a good team. They have gotten such a gift season this year. The only decent teams they have played so far, weren't decent because their starting quarterback was missing his first game against the chiefs. The titans gifted them Ryan Fitzpatrick, the texans gifted them Case Keenum. They get the colts in week 17, and at this point it's looking like they'll have their division more than wrapped up by that point - will probably rest their starters for it. The only games the chiefs have a chance of losing are the two to us, and maybe dropping 1 to the chargers. That may not be enough though because this next stretch for the broncos is just downright nasty (@SD, KC, @NE, @KC).

Comment

Working...
                              X