Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Maharishineo View Post
    Talk about Champ slowing down has been going on for a really long time now. But there's a difference between what people would do before (move him in anticipation of him getting slower) and now, where it does appear he is slowing down and his body is becoming more prone to injury. Fans are recommending that Bailey and the organization consider making the move because it has the potential to prolong his career. We want him to be here for as long as possible and he's a smart player so he has the intelligence and tackling ability to make the transition.
    What he said.

To be honest, there isn't a player I want more to have a SB championship than him. Anything that can be done to ensure that it happens is what I want.

Having the knowledge alone that Champ brings makes him an invaluable piece to the Broncos secondary. Statistically there is nothign this year that points me to the assertion that our secondary is "better without him". A lot of things play into how effective a pass game is against a defense not just one CB. I do think Champ can still cover with the best of them.

Champ hasn't really had a chance to settle up and play this year. Most around here were willing to give Von a few games to get back into football shape, why can't Champ have that same expectation. Obviously Von is coming back quick but he was suspended not injured and he is a much younger guy. When Champ comes back healthy and has played some full games I will start to worry if his play doesn't progress positively as he gets back into "football shape"

P.S. Venom I must spread my CP around more

Quote Originally Posted by Conner13 View Post
    Sstoner, you act as if I'm hating on Champ Bailey. I'm not.

Go back and read my posts carefully.
    I am just wanting some justification for your points. Why do you think that...and him gettign a little slower doesnt cut it for me. He makes up for that with talent and expierence.

Quote Originally Posted by sstoner View Post
    I am just wanting some justification for your points. Why do you think that...and him gettign a little slower doesnt cut it for me. He makes up for that with talent and expierence.
    I've just seen a decline in his play. I'm not even talking about the Baltimore game in the playoffs last year, either. Champ's still great, but, in the humble opinion of this guy, he could extend his career and still be highly productive at safety. I don't mind if you don't agree with me. It won't change my thoughts on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by 86Elwayfan View Post
    Having the knowledge alone that Champ brings makes him an invaluable piece to the Broncos secondary. Statistically there is nothign this year that points me to the assertion that our secondary is "better without him". A lot of things play into how effective a pass game is against a defense not just one CB. I do think Champ can still cover with the best of them.

Champ hasn't really had a chance to settle up and play this year. Most around here were willing to give Von a few games to get back into football shape, why can't Champ have that same expectation. Obviously Von is coming back quick but he was suspended not injured and he is a much younger guy. When Champ comes back healthy and has played some full games I will start to worry if his play doesn't progress positively as he gets back into "football shape"

P.S. Venom I must spread my CP around more
    Yes! Give the guy time to come back in healthy/full force, THEN, you Champ haters can judge away!!!

He has barely played, and when he did he was rusty

You can't really say we are better without him
    The biggest boon to our secondary was the addition of Von back into the mix
    He is the engine that drives the defense

Champ played well last year, I am not ready to say he is finished
    But if he comes back and struggles he probably would make a good S
    I could see him having an Aneas Williams like career at S

Quote Originally Posted by johntbronco View Post
    And...of course here comes the move-him-to-safety talk!
    Who said that all CB's in their later years of their career are "put out to pasture" and moved to safety?
    Safety is a totally different position and I guess I don't understand why everyone wants to throw him there.
    Give Champ the chance to heal up and then we can decide if he is ready to go balls for us in the playoffs.

As far as restructure his salary? Yes i do agree with that. 10M is way too much for his position and age.
    Maybe Bronco fans remember the Corners who made the move to Safety: Billy Thompson, Mike Harden, Steve Foley, Tyrone Braxton.

However, that doesn't mean all Corners become Safeties toward the end of their careers.

Champ strikes me as a Corner and I think that's what he'll be until he decides to retire. He has just had some injury bad luck this year.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Dumb thread is dumb.

This may be his last year due to cap reasons but would still want him playing over Webster, Carter, or Jammer.

Quote Originally Posted by cmc0605 View Post
    Not really. He played at a pro bowl level last year, but people only remember a few deep balls that Torrey Smith caught in the first half of one game. No one is under any obligation to defend Champ. If people want to make an argument that he's a downgrade, it's a big burden of proof on them....

His salary in the potential future is also not relevant.
    How is his salary not relevant? The NFL is a business, money is always relevant. Especially when we're going into a big year next season with a lot of cap issues and important players to resign/extend.
    2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones

They were giving up 300 yards a game through the air without champ .. Yeah that's GREAT.

And if you wanna bring up the last 2 games don't because that's all a product of Von Miller resurrecting the Pass rush .

I just think Champ is a bit slower and because of his age, not healing as quickly. Does this mean I think we're better without him? No. BUT, I like what we have for CBs (especially Harris!!), and we need to rely on them because Champ may not be a regular force, due to health. Regardless, it's always great to have him on the field or even if just on the sideline, to add leadership and confidence to the team.

Dez Bryant, Terrance Williams, Denarius moore, Victor cruz, all of these wrs were catching deep passes on our secondary without champ. The reason they looked so good against Washington is because of a consistent pass rush that hit rg3 nearly every time he dropped back to pass

Quote Originally Posted by Justblaze2729 View Post
    They were giving up 300 yards a game through the air without champ .. Yeah that's GREAT.

And if you wanna bring up the last 2 games don't because that's all a product of Von Miller resurrecting the Pass rush .
    Pass rush can directly affect how the secondary looks, it all starts up front. We won't really know how well Champ is until he's healthy and when the rest of our D is intact and playing at a high level (like it is now). Champ didn't play that bad in Indy.
    2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Justblaze2729 View Post
    Part of that is because teams were forced to pass to play catch up on the points....the stats for our defense doesnt paint an accurate picture really.