Game 1: Nuggets @ Kings

Brian Shaw leaning toward starting Hickson over Faried opening night

Kurt Helin

Oct 29, 2013, 12:44 AM EDT
    12 Comments
    Kenneth Faried AP

If you wondered why reports had surfaced that Denver was shopping around Kenneth Faried, here’s a hint as to why.

Nuggets’ coach Brian Shaw is leaning toward starting J.J. Hickson over Kenneth Faried in the Nuggets opener Wednesday at Sacramento (via the Nuggets twitter account).

Part of that is that Faried is coming off a hamstring injury and they don’t want to rush him, but part of it is Shaw and the Nuggets are high on Hickson. Even when Faried is right Hickson may keep that starting job.

Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league on October, 30th. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts October 30th at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.

Faried is a fan favorite because he is an Energizer Bunny on the court that is both athletic and never seems to quit, but he’s also raw offensively. Faried shot 61.6 percent in the restricted area but just 28.2 percent on the handful (less than one a game) midrange shots he took. Hickson is more polished, he’s an athletic and can finish at the rim (64 percent in the restricted area) but also has a good midrange game (47.3 percent last season). Neither are impressive defenders, but Faried is better on that end of the court because of his effort level.

Whatever Shaw is seeing in how Hickson flows with Ty Lawson, he likes what he sees. That makes Faried expendable (especially with him able to be extended next summer and a restricted free agent in two).

Just something to watch going forward.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...opening-night/
    2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones

Good start Hickson, he is a more polished version of Faried. Faried is better on the defensive end? Please Faried is just as bad as Hickson is. I have no problem trading Faried. The nuggets fan base always becomes enamored with limited hustle guys. EX Najera Birdman and now Faried. If Faried is going to stay he HAS to develop some semblance of an offensive game. One of your starting 5 in the NBA can't count on hustle energy plays and alley oops as the only means of scoring.

Wish I was excited...

The NBA just has really died to me finally....

Right now I just have 0 desire to watch the NBA, I'm sure it will change and I'll probably watch at least tonight, but blah....

Why does the NBA have to suck so much and kill a good sport?

College Basketball >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>> NBA
    2013 Adopt-a-Bronco: Demaryius Thomas

Faried for Kevin Love make it happen. Some of Shaws comments recently have me confused. He said, and Im paraphrasing, he wants a more Pacer style team, but if the old style works it's ok. That is just asking for an identity crisis. Overall, if Shaw is not careful it's a good thing this is a talent loaded draft.

Found it

"So I guess it comes down to this: If it works, it's OK. If it doesn't, try it the way we're trying to get you to do it. For the most part, it's a process that's going to take time. But they're getting it."

I have a feeling that this will be a frustrating year to be a Nuggs fan.

Hope im wrong though but if not then this is the year to be bad cause this draft will be loaded with talent! The likes of Wiggins, Parker, and Randle don't come around very often and could challenge the 2003 draft.

Go Nuggs!

Most underrated candidate to get the No. 1 pick: Denver Nuggets

You want a real dark horse to win Tankapalooza? I mean, real dark horse? Consider the Nuggets. Ownership in the Mile High City switched gears in the offseason and cleaned house upstairs, but the teardown might have only begun. The Nuggets already are banged up with Ty Lawson, Wilson Chandler and Kenneth Faried battling nagging injuries this preseason while Danilo Gallinari remains months away from returning from his ACL surgery.

A lot has to go wrong for the Nuggets to bottom out, but when the mercurial trifecta of Nate Robinson, Anthony Randolph and JaVale McGee are considered core pieces to a playoff hunt, it might be a sign to go in a different direction. McGee is being entrusted to be the defensive anchor alongside Faried, which could be a recipe for disaster (when that duo was on the floor, it allowed a dreadful 105.7 points per 100 possessions to opponents last season, according to NBA.com). This could get ugly real fast, and there's no sense in being in NBA purgatory next season with the loaded 2014 draft coming up. They might not be worse than Phoenix and Philadelphia now, but check back in March.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story...2013-14-season
    2013 Adopt-a-Bronco: Demaryius Thomas

Please tank.

Cant stand Cousins at all but he's a beast

Suck for Wiggins!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Atwnbroncfan View Post
    Suck for Wiggins!!!!
    Yep.....Or Jabari Parker and Julius Randle

Well that's a good start.

They actually shot 88.2% from the FT line.

I'm here guys! We suck!

just kidding we might not be too bad this year.

McGee was manhandled by Cousins. Cousins can do that to a lot of guys but all signs point to McGee being highly overpaid which we already knew. I guess the good news is Shaw may actually force these guys to develop. Karl found a way to win by leveraging guys strengths but not necessarily improving their game.

For a first game on the road with a pumped up crowd I thought we did pretty well. I would have to think we'll be making some trades down the road. I liked seeing post play again. There wasn't a whole lot to miss of Nene but he could at lease impersonate a post player. His post play was 95% good, the 5% bad was the finger role off the side of the rim. Looking forward to tonight. Decision, watch Av's and record Nuggs or vice versa. I guess I can start with Av's.