Varlamov Arrested

Semyon Varlamov is being investigated for 3rd degree assault, 2nd degree kidnapping. #9NEWS
    2013 Adopt-a-Bronco: Demaryius Thomas

Semyon Varlamov, Avalanche goalie, arrested on domestic violence charges
    By Ryan Parker and Nick Groke
    The Denver Post
    Posted: 10/30/2013 07:06:20 PM MDT2 comments | Updated: 10 min. ago

Semyon Varlamov (Denver Post file)

Semyon Varlamov, starting goaltender for the Colorado Avalanche, on Wednesday was arrested on domestic violence-related charges, the Denver Police Department said.

Police arrested Varlamov on second-degree kidnapping and third-degree assault charges, police said. The assault charge is a Class 4 felony charge; the kidnapping charge is a misdemeanor.

The police charges stem from an incident on Tuesday, police said.

Varlamov turned himself in to police voluntarily earlier in the day, police said. He remains in Denver County jail, police said.

The Avs issued a statement about the arrest:

"The Colorado Avalanche organization is aware of the allegations concerning Semyon Varlamov. At this time, and until the conclusion of this investigation, the Avalanche organization will have no further comment on this situation."

Varlamov is 7-1 as a starting goalie this season for the Avs, his third season in Colorado. He is among the NHL leaders in goals-against average and save percentage this season.

The Avs are schedule to play next on Friday, at Dallas against the Stars.

More details will be added to this story soon.

Read more: Semyon Varlamov, Avalanche goalie, arrested on domestic violence charges - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/...#ixzz2jGEOSyHj
    Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
    Follow us: @Denverpost on Twitter | Denverpost on Facebook

....what.... just what we don't need.
    2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones

good lord. Why cant these professionals stay out of trouble?

This is very troubling. Can't believe Varley would be this stupid.

Some of the people back in the arguments about Von should see this. I remember some racist comments about how it's always "thugs" getting in trouble. Referring to the African American portion of the population.

But all pro athletes are capable of being stupid morons and doing immature things to put their career at risk.

Good news is Jiggy has been every bit as good.

But we will have to find a very solid replacement if Varley gets suspended. Because Jiggy can't go every night.

Third degree assault in CO is NOT a felony. I love it when people try to sensationalize news.

Third degree assault is commonly charged in situations involving minor physical altercations that do not involve apparent injury but do involve some degree of physical pain. Third degree assault is often charged in situations alleged to involve domestic violence, for example when a wife says that her husband hit or pushed her, or vice versa, and it hurt.

I read it again, and it says the kidnapping charges are second-degree, class 4 felony.

Here's an example of Varly's charges:

A woman and her husband/boyfriend are at a party and they start arguing. She's getting unruly so the husband/bf drags her to the car and puts her in. They fight more in the car and she demands to be let out or they reach their destination. The woman then calls police and says she was forced into the car and although there is no apparent resulting injury, he hurt her. (probably by grabbing her arm or something of that nature)

That's 3rd degree assault and felony kidnapping.

Does anyone remember with Roy got charged with domestic violence and criminal mischief because his wife called 911 and hung up? They tried to charge him because his wife said he was "very mad" and the closet door had came off the track.

Calm down, people. Also, does anyone else find it funny they held him without bail on the assault (misdemeanor) charge, and not on the (felony) kidnapping charge?
    Last edited by CoryWinget81; 10-31-2013 at 09:26 AM.

Hooray, beer!

Quote Originally Posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
    Third degree assault in CO is NOT a felony. I love it when people try to sensationalize news.

Third degree assault is commonly charged in situations involving minor physical altercations that do not involve apparent injury but do involve some degree of physical pain. Third degree assault is often charged in situations alleged to involve domestic violence, for example when a wife says that her husband hit or pushed her, or vice versa, and it hurt.

I read it again, and it says the kidnapping charges are second-degree, class 4 felony.

Here's an example of Varly's charges:

A woman and her husband/boyfriend are at a party and they start arguing. She's getting unruly so the husband/bf drags her to the car and puts her in. They fight more in the car and she demands to be let out or they reach their destination. The woman then calls police and says she was forced into the car and although there is no apparent resulting injury, he hurt her. (probably by grabbing her arm or something of that nature)

That's 3rd degree assault and felony kidnapping.

Does anyone remember with Roy got charged with domestic violence and criminal mischief because his wife called 911 and hung up? They tried to charge him because his wife said he was "very mad" and the closet door had came off the track.

Calm down, people. Also, does anyone else find it funny they held him without bail on the assault (misdemeanor) charge, and not on the (felony) kidnapping charge?
    I partially agree with you. It may end up not being remotely as close to serious as it initially sounds. My post was goign off little information provided in Vic Lombardi's tweets.

However I do not completely agree that it's not big deal. While he may not get charged with it or suspended I still don't condone your example.

I get pretty mean sometimes with my wife. But that doesn't make any of my actions right. And no matter how much I may verbally abuse her I would never ever grab her and carry or force her somewhere. I have no right to force her anywhere in an argument. Wife or no wife.

So yes it may not be a big deal legal wise or for the outlook of the Avs. But still not good for Varley as a person to be doing this.

However the Roy example if he just scared her then yes that's a bit ridiculous.

DENVER -- Colorado Avalanche goalie Semyon Varlamov will be allowed to travel with the team while prosecutors consider charging him in a domestic violence case.

Varlamov is accused of assaulting his girlfriend, kicking her in the chest and dragging her by the hair.

He appeared in court Thursday dressed in a yellow jail jumpsuit. A judge set his bond at $5,000, and his attorney said he would be able to post that immediately.

Semyon Varlamov was arrested by Denver police just hours after drawing praise for his play from Avalanche coach Patrick Roy on Wednesday.

Denver County Judge Claudia Jordan ordered Varlamov to stay away from his girlfriend and not contact her.

Varlamov also was ordered to relinquish any firearms in his possession. He said through his lawyer he didn't have any guns.

The 25-year-old turned himself in to police Wednesday evening, after practicing with the team that day. He was arrested on suspicion of second-degree kidnapping and third-degree assault.

His arrest warrant details the alleged Monday assault. In addition to kicking and dragging the woman, police say Varlamov told her in Russian that if this were Russia, he would have beat her more.

Varlamov's attorney, Jack Rotole, declined to comment on the case going into Varlamov's court appearance.

Varlamov's agent, Paul Theofanous, said Varlamov "is completely innocent of all of these charges."

The Avalanche said in a statement they were aware of the allegations but wouldn't comment further until the conclusion of the investigation.

Acquired from the Washington Capitals in a 2011 trade, Varlamov is 7-1 this season with a 1.76 goals-against average. On Sunday night, he made 24 saves in a 3-2 home victory over the Winnipeg Jets.

The Avalanche visit the Dallas Stars on Friday night and Varlamov was scheduled to start.

His backup, Jean-Sebastien Giguere, has been nearly as good in net, recording two shutouts.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/99...ing-girlfriend

He's also been cleared to travel with the team out of state.

2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Quote Originally Posted by Broncoholic3233 View Post
    Wow, there are a few key points in that article that scream six figure law suit.

Figured they would be, after reading several articles that this case was iffy at best,

Denver DA's Office confirms the assault charges against Avalanche goalie Semyon Varlamov are dropped; unable to prove the case.